PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Macintosh of the Week #4 Macitosh IIsi!

Oldmacs
9th June 2012, 03:33 PM
Here is the vintage Macintosh of the week!
The IIsi was introduced in October of 1990. In a new Sleeker, smaller, very expandable case which resembles the Macintosh LC, the IIsi was described by many as a cut down IIci in a smaller case. This was essentially true. Due to its smaller size, the IIsi had one less expansion port than the IIci had. However the IIsi was notable as it was the first Mac to have built-in audio recording capabilities. The IIsi ran a 20MHZ 68030, could hold up to 65 MB of ram and had a 40 to 160 MB harddrive. The IIsi was discontinued in March of 1993.
http://www.vectronicsappleworld.com/collection/articlepics/maciisi/snap43.jpg
Full specs:
Family: Macintosh II
Codename: Oceanic, Ray Ban, Erickson, Raffica
Gestalt ID: 18
Minimum OS: 6.0.7
Maximum OS: 7.6.1
Introduced: October 1990
Terminated: March 1993

Processor
CPU: Motorola MC68030
CPU Speed: 20 MHz
FPU: 68882
Bus Speed: 20 MHz
Register Width: 32-bit
Data Bus Width: 32-bit
Address Bus Width: 32-bit
ROM: 512 kB
RAM Type: 30 pin SIMM
Minimum RAM Speed: 100 ns
Onboard RAM: 1 MB
RAM slots: 4
Maximum RAM: 65 MB
Level 1 Cache: 256 bytes data, 256 bytes instruction
Expansion Slots: 1 NuBus or PDS

Video
VRAM: 64-320 kB (shared system RAM)
Max Resolution: 8 bit 640x480
Video Out: DB-15

Storage
Hard Drive: 40-80 MB
Floppy Drive: 1.4 MB SuperDrive

Input/Output
ADB: 1
Floppy: DB-19
Serial: 2 Mini DIN-8
SCSI: DB-25
Audio Out: stereo 8 bit mini
Audio In: mono 8 bit mini
Speaker: mono
Microphone: mono

Miscellaneous
Power: 160 Watts
Dimensions: 4" H x 12.4" W x 14.9" D
Weight: 19 lbs.

As with last week,
If anyone had this model, please post your memories and if anyone would like to correct my infomation, please again do so. :D
Hope you enjoyed!

Byrd
10th June 2012, 07:15 PM
Hi, got one and really like it for some reason - it's a bit of an underrated machine, kind of like a headless SE/30 (having similar parts, can use similar PDS cards, etc), quite different from other Mac II models. It is a little annoying in that the stock video requires a sync-on-green monitor, so you can only use Apple-branded CRTs and not generic VGA monitors with a Mac monitor adapter.

My first IIsi a neighbour chucked out years ago, and I think I gave it away, stupidly. Then I scored another one recently, and set about putting in a 1GB HD, 17MB RAM and a Daystar Powercache '33Mhz '030 card. It makes for a nice little unit. I also have a Daystar PPC 601 card that would also go inside, but I believe this taxes the small power supply so don't want to overdo it.

JB

Commando
10th June 2012, 10:37 PM
Here is the vintage Macintosh of the week!
The IIsi

As with last week,
If anyone had this model, please post your memories and if anyone would like to correct my infomation, please again do so. :D
Hope you enjoyed!

Thanks Oldmacs, this brings back memories but not very good ones I'm sad to say. Of all the Apple computers I have owned the IIsi was the biggest disappointment.

I loved my Apple IIc (still do) and also my first mac which was an LC when they first came out, it was brilliant. However, a couple of years later I need another computer for my son so I purchased an IIsi. I'm not sure why my expectations for the IIsi where so high, perhaps it was the price, but for me the difference in performance was not worth the $1,400 or $1,500 more I paid for the IIsi above the price of the LC. To make matters worse, not long after I bought the IIsi they released the IIvi and IIvx which where better and cheaper. Although I hung onto it for years, the si was the first of my macs to end up in a skip bin.