PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Macintosh of the week #3 LC/Performa 520

Oldmacs
2nd June 2012, 05:45 PM
This weeks vintage Macintosh is the Macintosh LC 520. The 520 was an All in one Macintosh introduced in June 1993, also sold as a Performa. It was essentially a LC III with a 14 inch monitor attached. The LC 520 was a new case design to fit the much larger CRT monitor than that found in the Compact Macs. The case design lasted through to the introduction of the Power PC, when the design was modified to become the Power Mac 5000 series, which were in production until 1998. In a way the LC 520's case is the granfather to the eMac and iMac, as it was very popular in schools as it was relatively affordable and somewhat powerful. It was also simple due to its all in one nature and hard to pick up and steal. The 520 was replaced by the 550 in Feburary 1994.

http://todoappleblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/macintosh-lc-520.jpg

Specs:
Family: Macintosh LC
Codename: Hook
Gestalt ID: 56
Minimum OS: 7.1
Maximum OS: 7.6.1
Introduced: June 1993
Terminated: February 1994

Processor
CPU: Motorola MC68030
CPU Speed: 25 MHz
FPU: 68882
Bus Speed: 25 MHz
Register Width: 32-bit
Data Bus Width: 32-bit
Address Bus Width: 32-bit
ROM: 1 MB
RAM Type: 72 pin SIMM
Minimum RAM Speed: 80 ns
Onboard RAM: 4 MB
RAM slots: 1
Maximum RAM: 36 MB
Level 1 Cache: 256 bytes data, 256 bytes instruction
Expansion Slots: 1 LC PDS

Video
Monitor: 14" CRT (built-in)
VRAM: 512-768 kB (one socket)
Max Resolution: 640x480

Storage
Hard Drive: 80-160 MB
Floppy Drive: 1.4 MB SuperDrive
Optical Drive: 2x CD-ROM

Input/Output
ADB: 2
Serial: 2 Mini DIN-8
SCSI: DB-25
Audio Out: stereo 8 bit mini
Audio In: mono 8 bit mini
Speaker: mono
Microphone: mono

Miscellaneous
Power: 40 Watts
Dimensions: 17.9" H x 13.5" W x 16.5" D
Weight: 40.5 lbs.

As with last week,
If anyone had this model, please post your memories and if anyone would like to correct my infomation, please again do so.
I have moved to posting the Vintage Macintosh of the week on Saturday as it makes it much easier for me :D
Hope you enjoyed!

midnight_e
2nd June 2012, 05:49 PM
Love to see pics with this Vintage Mac series, you know the old adage, a picture speaks a thousand words !

Oldmacs
2nd June 2012, 06:56 PM
Thanks midnight thats a good idea!

midnight_e
2nd June 2012, 07:36 PM
Interesting, I'd never seen one.
And to me, it is one strange looking machine.
Thanks for that.

Oldmacs
2nd June 2012, 07:53 PM
I have never seen one in real life, but have seen many in pictures, ect. They do look kind of strange, But for some reason I love the design and wish I had one. When I have the space, I will get one.

bartron
2nd June 2012, 09:15 PM
We had one of those at work a few years ago. Can't remember what ever happened to it but it probably ended up in a skip :(

Oldmacs
2nd June 2012, 09:27 PM
Its sad to think of all those Macs which have been chucked. I have said it before and will say it again I am a massive Sucker for old Macs (And new ones :D)

macman142
4th June 2012, 10:41 PM
I've owned one, the only one I've come across in person and i bought it for $20 as "not working" although it turned out to be a faulty power cord and it worked perfectly. It was terribly slow and nowhere near as nice as the LC575 I had at the time. I remember figuring the LC580 would be even better (it wasn't and the LC575 was still my favourite).

I remember the caddy-load CD drive well. Mine had a bunch of factory stickers under the CD caddy slot - a Quicktime sticker and some others (can't remember exactly what else). It was interesting though.

As much as it was overshadowed by my LC575 at the time, it's definitely one I wish I had kept. Because it was unpopular, I suppose it's become "rare" to us collectors. Wonder if Howard had one in his collection :S

DebB
5th June 2012, 10:40 AM
I remember having one of these in my classroom years ago... as you said, Dave, the 575 was better! Still an indestructable tank of a machine which was perfect for use in a kinder classroom. They don't make 'em tough like that anymore!! The caddy was a pain, but I remember my excitement that it actually would play CDs! I used it as a listening post to play the 'taking books' to a group of kids on headphones. And to run a great literacy program called "Wiggleworks" Now whatever happened to that???

bashir
7th June 2012, 02:19 PM
i remember installing these for home users and schools back in the day when I use to work for an AppleCentre !
wow - so long ago now, good memories flooding back :D

macman142
7th June 2012, 05:20 PM
Mine looked just like this:

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i52/macman142/520.jpg

LCGuy
14th June 2012, 10:59 AM
I'd really love to get my hands on one of the really early ones with the auto-inject drive (like the one in the pic Oldmacs posted), never seen one in real life before, only in pictures/on telly, I just think it looks weird, given that it has an auto-inject drive, yet at the same time, the machine was a very early example of the "Espresso" design language. Can't imagine they'd be easy to come by though, my guess would be that most of them would have manual-inject drives.