PDA

View Full Version : suggestion to boost sales

mivory
31st January 2004, 10:19 PM
:ph34r:
Quite a few years ago I was able to receive a demo disk from Apple of a number of programs that I might find useful. Apple software samplers I think they were called. The disk had samples of all sorts of applications and games. I loved this because usually the demos would give me a limited working preview of what to expect.
I think it's nuts to expect people to fork out $100 (or thereabouts) for software they have not seen or tried. If I see some cool software on another mac somewhere I will be likely to want to buy it. However, if all I see is an image of a box and a short description, then forget it.
A friend of mine even bought some mac software for his kids 'cliffords birthday party' after reading the description in a schoolastic book club flyer. Although the specs all match this software always gives him grief. When they took it with them to try on their grandad's windoze box, unbelievably it detected a virus on the cd. A commercial cd!
Anyway, my point is that instead of being reactive and hostile to the decline in software sales I think it might be time to be more creative. I'm not going to sit online and download heaps of software, but if I get a sample cd with my next macworld magazine and I like what I see I'll be buying it. It just takes a shift in thinking and some proactive marketing.

cmetom
1st February 2004, 12:13 AM
an excellent idea. this is done, to a limited extent, on some multimedia/filmmaking magazines... but there is certainly not enough of it for consumer software

LCGuy
1st February 2004, 12:51 AM
I remember those discs. Definately a great idea. :D

decryption
1st February 2004, 06:42 AM
I reckon this is something we could do ourselves.
Demo software is allowed to be freely distributed, and I have a CD burner in my computer, and blank CDs are pretty damn cheap.. or even DVD ;)

"AppleTalk Australia Demo Disc 1"

I could put on a bunch of apps that our are favourites, and distribute them amongst members in a chain style, when one person recieves, they make a copy, then pass it on to the next members in the list.
When each member has a copy, they can distribute them to anyone they like and show off the OS X platform.

I have a broadband connection and keep up to date with all the new versions of software, it could be like a monthly thing. Our own CD magazine of sorts.

Or maybe I'm thinking out too loud for 7:30am on a Sunday morning.

Cory5412
1st February 2004, 06:56 AM
www.versiontracker.com

Most programs you can download demo versions of, I know that there are other sites that do this. I am not sure though, if there is an equivalent in australia.

Oh, and MacWorld/MacAddict has alot of demo software on their CDs.

The only software that I haven't seen a demo for is really Microsoft Office, but other than that nearly every major player in the sw industry gives fully functional demos not only on their websites, but lets them be available on apple's site and on the magazine CDs.

The latest versions are completely full versions and are limited only in the time that you can use them (30-45 days usually)

Just a few of my thoughts anyway.

I would be interested in ways of showing and telling peole about the mac platform, maybe it'd be something that people could do, runnin' around with iBooks that have a general selection of nice software showing people what even the consumer-level laptop of the mac platform can do for a relatively good price.

jameso
1st February 2004, 10:58 AM
"AppleTalk Australia Demo Disc 1"

You should add a section to the site or the forums called "the appletalk australia demo disk" and allow people to submit reviews and/or screen snaps or handy little apps they always use (like the really nice list growing at the moment in the forum) and have direct download links. Would be handy for those new to osx and also for those wanting to share thee wicked little app they found on some weird little french site.

jameso

stevejay
2nd February 2004, 06:43 AM
Sounds great!

pipsqeek
5th February 2004, 10:46 AM
"unbelievably it detected a virus on the cd. A commercial cd!"

HAHAHA, if the CD contained an .exe file which it would to run on a Windows system then it would definitly find a virus.

When I scan my Mac as well as the networked drives and other computers (I do use PC's with other OS's) all the .exe's are considered potential viruses.

LOL

Funny because its true.

Steve

stevejay
5th February 2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by pipsqeek@Feb 5 2004, 11:46 AM
When I scan my Mac as well as the networked drives and other computers (I do use PC's with other OS's) all the .exe's are considered potential viruses.
Many would argue that Doze is a virus ;)

Disko
5th February 2004, 11:03 AM
Many would argue that Doze is a virus

I wouldn't say it was a virus... just a virus delivery system. :P

stevejay
5th February 2004, 11:15 AM
Yeh, and I noticed in today's local rag that Bill is promising the current nasty will be fixed by XP service pack 2 - due for release in (wait for it :) ) June!!!

jameso
5th February 2004, 12:35 PM
"Yeh, and I noticed in today's local rag that Bill is promising the current nasty will be fixed by XP service pack 2 - due for release in (wait for it ) June!!!"

yeah, and they get pop-up blocking. the world will truly be a better place =)

http://www.arstechnica.com/wankerdesk/04q1/sp2-beta-1.html

jameso

pipsqeek
5th February 2004, 12:41 PM
I think someone should tell B.Gates the famous words of Homer Simpson,

"Didn't you know, the internet is on computers these days???"

All these technologies. Can't expect someone to be able to keep up with it all. After all, he only stole the macintosh idea and called it windows. Or as I like to call it, Windoesn't

Steve

P.S. I have a great desktop background that I made a few weeks back. If anyone would like it, pm me with thier email address and I shall send it to you. Its not big, its .jpg and you'll love it.

again,
Steve

LCGuy
6th February 2004, 04:06 PM
Hmm..."VIRUS FOUND: WIN.COM. Remove it?"

Now THAT would be amusing....:D