PDA

View Full Version : Download when the iMac is sleeping?

mazza_lives
14th December 2005, 10:21 PM
Mac newbie here. When I used eMule or something simlar on my PC I would just let it go into hibernation and it would continue downloading till I went back to it hours later.

I tried doing this by putting the mac into sleep but it didnt work it stopped at the point of sleep. And it said internet connection is down (i have dsl). Should the iMac continue downloading or is it my fault?

hawker
14th December 2005, 10:23 PM
sleeping means the hard drive turns off and the network connection closes...

Rayd
14th December 2005, 10:24 PM
i.e impossible. :P

mazza_lives
14th December 2005, 11:13 PM
Oh right...so how can I let my iMac go into screensaver mode for hours while downloading stuff? Doesnt it automatically turn to sleep?

Rayd
14th December 2005, 11:15 PM
you can change all those settings in your energy saver prefpane in systemprefrances.

ADAMS77
14th December 2005, 11:25 PM
go into System Preferences and then Energy Saver. In there under Put the Display to sleep when the computer is inactive for.... change the bar from what u have to 1min. This is what i do when i download over night to save energy. Hence the name Energy Saver. After 1 min of inactivity the screen will turn off but the computer will continue to download.
To turn of go back into Energy Saver and change it from 1min to Never.

Currawong
15th December 2005, 07:33 AM
Both sleep and hibernation are a suspended state. In sleep, literally the whole computer is paused as it stands. Hibernation involves copying the contents of RAM into the hard drive, allowing the computer to be switched off. Instead of starting up, the RAM contents get loaded back from the hard disk and you continue where you left off.

marc
15th December 2005, 09:25 AM
It sounds like your PC just turned the display off while you were downloading. As others have suggested, you can do that in OS X.