PDA

View Full Version : PowerBook 1400cs

Oldmacs
21st May 2012, 10:24 PM
I have received the Charger for my new PowerBook and now have it running!!!
It is the base model, with 12mb ram and 117mhz processor- it is running os8.0
The only problem is that the speaker is not working properly.
I plan on getting a compact flash card and reader to install 7.6 on. I love the computer except that the screen seems to draw very slowly, things fade instead of instantly going, and you can see a trail from the mouse when you move it.

Byrd
21st May 2012, 11:16 PM
Sadly that's the passive matrix display causing the "ghosting", I can't stand it but some don't mind it, the 'c' display is magnificent if you can find one.

Also, I used to use a 1400 heaps during uni and the only MP3 program that worked without skipping doing anything else was the beta of WinAmp (yes WinAmp - not MacAmp!). They never released further versions of it.

LCGuy
22nd May 2012, 12:21 AM
Chances are, the speaker is working fine. The 1400 speaker was complete and utter crap - even back in 1997. And as someone who had a 1400 as his main machine back in the day, I'll back up Byrd in regards to the 1400's inability to play MP3s without skipping while diong something else. I never used WinAmp, but I remember trying even GreyAMP (which was pretty stripped down compared to other players at the time, no skins or anything like that), and even it skipped.