PDA

View Full Version : Powermac G4 Upgrade

hawker
14th December 2005, 07:15 PM
Does anyone know of any upgrade cards/cpu's for a G4 400mhz AGP server edition?

Thanks,

Rayd
14th December 2005, 07:57 PM
have you had a look at what powerlogix or giga designs or sonnet even have to offer?

step_andy
14th December 2005, 09:08 PM
good place to start would also be www.xlr8yourmac.com

cheers

hawker
14th December 2005, 10:24 PM
I was looking more for people who have performed an upgrade, to get their thoughts, but will look around for a bit!!

macman_99
14th December 2005, 10:43 PM
2 words, easy as pie.
I upgraded my G4 400 to a dual 500 not long ago, mainly because it did cost anything, but it is an easy upgrade, the heatsink comes off like any other, and if i remember correctly, 3 screws hold in the CPU board, and after that its everything in reverse.
if you can find somthing that will go into it, you should upgrade it, to prolong your usage of it, it helped me keep it as an iTunes server. Worth the 15 mins it takes to do, just watch out for the quicksilver CPU's which require you to cut your ATA controller off (1 of them) so the CPU fits, however the speed of those CPU's is advantageous, so if your using a SATA card like me, or you can get by with 1 ATA controller for all your HDD's and DVD drives, then those CPU'S might be the option for you.
/rant
gotta go to bed
summing up, yeah, if you get a chance, do it, but don't rush if you don't have to :D

Rayd
14th December 2005, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by macman_99@Dec 14 2005, 11:43 PM
2 words, easy as pie.
I upgraded my G4 400 to a dual 500 not long ago, mainly because it did cost anything, but it is an easy upgrade, the heatsink comes off like any other, and if i remember correctly, 3 screws hold in the CPU board, and after that its everything in reverse.
if you can find somthing that will go into it, you should upgrade it, to prolong your usage of it, it helped me keep it as an iTunes server. Worth the 15 mins it takes to do, just watch out for the quicksilver CPU's which require you to cut your ATA controller off (1 of them) so the CPU fits, however the speed of those CPU's is advantageous, so if your using a SATA card like me, or you can get by with 1 ATA controller for all your HDD's and DVD drives, then those CPU'S might be the option for you.
/rant
gotta go to bed
summing up, yeah, if you get a chance, do it, but don't rush if you don't have to :D
also with the quicksilver CPU, its a lil harder, it requires a voltage boost. and also it will be clocked down to meet the 100mhz bus.

macman_99
14th December 2005, 10:52 PM
well i WAS going to say that, but.........yeah........you know :P
really got to go to bed, stop hawking these forums :D

hawker
15th December 2005, 06:24 AM
How did the upgrade cost nothing macman_99?

macman_99
15th December 2005, 10:16 AM
i meant the CPu and heatsink i got off a friend :D his one died unfortunately, and i put my hand up for it.
i don't think i mentioned it, but ebay has processors going through there occasionally that will fit your G4, and are not too expensive.

Byrd
15th December 2005, 10:29 AM
The cheapest place to obtain a new G4 upgrade, even when you factor in shipping and possible customs taxes, is OWC. (http://www.otherworldcomputing.com/). Sawtooth CPU upgrade link here. (http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upgrades.cfm?model=164&type=Processor&TI=%23TimeFormat%28Now%28%29%2C+&shoupgrds=Show+Upgrades)

Most Sawtooth G4s do not support dual processors, so I'd go for a 1.2Ghz+ single G4 which would give a hefty speed improvement.

You would also do yourself a favour getting an upgraded graphics card - having a nice speedy CPU will mean nothing when you've still got a 16MB AGP ATI Rage 128 inside :) Best bang for buck for a Sawtooth would be a Radeon 8500/9000. This could be a genuine Mac edition of the card, of if you're feeling like some modding a PC flashed card will cost 2 - 3 times less.

JB