PDA

View Full Version : Be Warned

chris
24th August 2004, 01:57 PM
Recently I bought a G4 1.25 Mirrored Door PowerMac with a combo drive. I took the Superdrive out of my 733 Digital Audio PowerMac and sold it with the Combo drive in it.

As Apple are only selling the 4x DVD-R's now I downloaded the fix for older Superdrives just to be sure that they wouldn't wreck my drive.

The updater said that it wouldn't work on my machine and so I thought that everything was OK.

The moment I put the DVD-R in the drive it was stuffed :(

It looks like the updater looks for the machine rather than the drive itself. Meaning that you can't update the Superdrive if you move it to a newer PowerMac!

I spoke to three different people at Apple and the local Apple Centre even got on board to try and help - no joy of course.

So I coughed up $195 for the Pioneer 8x Burner - at least I got a faster burner out of it :blink:

Byrd
24th August 2004, 10:06 PM
Shame. You've nothing to lose, I'd force flash a working firmware onto the drive on a PC, this is usually done under DOS using the MTKFLASH utility.

Search the CD Freaks Forum (http://club.cdfreaks.com/) for more information on your model drive, along with links to firmware sites off their main page.

Good luck!

JB

Gothikon
25th August 2004, 07:42 AM
There are plenty of drive firmware flashers for the Mac and you can use the same modified ROMs, check out the front recent news n xlr8yourmac.com they'be been covering a lot of DVD burner flashing recently.

chris
25th August 2004, 11:26 AM
Thanks for that - but I believe the drive is actually wrecked - it just makes a knocking sound when ever you put a DVD/CD in it and won't recognise it. The Apple Centre also tested it and said it broken.

But are you saying that your suggestions could fix the drive or could be used to update the drive if it wasn't already broken?

Thanks for your help.

Byrd
25th August 2004, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by chris@Aug 25 2004, 11:26 AM
Thanks for that - but I believe the drive is actually wrecked - it just makes a knocking sound when ever you put a DVD/CD in it and won't recognise it. The Apple Centre also tested it and said it broken.

But are you saying that your suggestions could fix the drive or could be used to update the drive if it wasn't already broken?

Thanks for your help.
Sounds like it's no good at present :blink: I'd open it up, see if there is any problem with the tray mechanism (cogs, motor). Often these can be fixed with a little adjustment!

JB