PDA

View Full Version : Apple Inc Predictions

Lucas
24th August 2004, 01:47 PM
What is it with so called experts calling the near death and colapse of Apple? Slashdot and the media are the same every week there is an article saying that apple needs to do this this and this to "save" itself. This week I read it in a Mac magazine (iCreate) that apple needs to save itself.

All these "experts" seem to think unless there is a 50% market share for apple and 50% for Intel/windows then Apple is doomed.

When PCs eventually cost $150 I would not be suprised for apple to still be successful charging what is "right" for what they produce. I'd rather invest long term in a company selling premium tech over a whitegoods company in a crowded market.

What are some of the funnier ghastly predictions for Apple you've heard? When did these predicitons start? (probably after the big brother superbowl ad :) )

zefi
24th August 2004, 02:16 PM
Lucas I think this has been an ongoing thing in the media since and probably even before Steve Jobs returned as interim CEO and then stayed on. For every glowing review of Apple and it's products there are about three others predicting it's eventual down fall.

Here is where I draw the distinction. I think there are some articles with helpful suggestions and others that are just outright hatred for anything Apple (case in point those two-faced media tycoons at C-Net). I think the Apple board of directors has enough business savvy to keep it's business profitable, and they have had ample opportunity to learn from the past.

Being a layperson with not a shred of business knowledge or even a background in economics, and speaking strictly from my own point of view - I think this is a sign of things to come. Apple is going through the process now of figuring out it's talents and actively marketing them, and I think we will see market growth in the future. I think Apple will be (and I certainly hope it will be) celebrating another twenty years of the Mac with something special.

And then we can all turn our noses and say 'told ya so'.

stickman67
25th August 2004, 05:33 PM
I take "death knell" predictions with a mighty large dose of salt.

Apple has been going, going, going ... now for years. But it's still here. How many PC manufacturers have come and gone in the meantime?

With the iPod and iTunes and iTMS now part of the equation, I don't see Apple disappearing any time soon.

And if Microsoft thought there was a chance of Apple dying in the arse, do you think they'd still be producing regular releases of Office, let alone running an entire Macintosh Business Unit?

Market-share figures also make liars of the premature obituarists. The top four personal-computer manufacturers in the United States in the second quarter of 2004 were Dell (32.7%), HP (19.2%), IBM (5.6%) and Apple (3.7%). In other words, only three other computer manufacturers outsell Apple in the United States.

Apple has usually chugged along at somewhere between 3 and 5% of the market (apart from a spike in the early 1990s, when it managed to briefly top 10%). The current market share may not sound much as a percentage, but it's a lot of units (and dollars) in terms of the overall PC market. (Macintoshes are, after all, personal computers too!)

Apple isn't dying, and it's not going to go away, no matter how hard some doom-sayers wish it was going to be so. Most have an axe to grind, and I suspect that many haven't even tried to use a Mac for a very long time, if ever. More fool them, says I! B)

Currawong
25th August 2004, 08:52 PM
There are plenty of so-called 'experts' who are paid to verbally masturbate crap that gets people flared up, so that people will read the web sites and bring in money from advertising. Unfortunately the web has gone from a useful resource of to-the-point information to being overloaded with unnecessary crap.

Edit: Something to consider. You might notice my post count/percentage is quite a bit lower than many of the regulars here. But you'll also notice that almost all my posts are relevant and to the point. At present this board is at a young enough stage where it's not overloaded with crap threads and posts (unlike some of the older, more popular Mac boads on the net). Eventually, Appletalk will head a bit that way. Hopefully we can influence people against posting drivel, flaming unnecessary arguments and other verbal diarrhea and keep Appletalk an awesome place to be.

titan44
25th August 2004, 09:05 PM
I saw Dvork said not too long ago that apple was going intel, yeah, real expert.

I read somewhre that apple has more of a market share in the computer market than BMW has in the auto market, you don't see people screaming the BMW will be up against the wall.

You can't keep a good mac down.

frenchtoast
26th August 2004, 01:22 AM
Anyone else see the parallels between Apple and Nintendo. So called IT journalists saying they are at deaths door. Funny that 2 companys (Microsoft + Sony) are both the ones trying to kick them down.

Can you imagine a collaboration between Apple and Nintendo? Ah... such dreams...

decryption
26th August 2004, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by frenchtoast@Aug 26 2004, 01:22 AM
Can you imagine a collaboration between Apple and Nintendo? Ah... such dreams...
*salivates*

cmetom
26th August 2004, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by stickman67@Aug 25 2004, 06:33 PM
I take "death knell" predictions with a mighty large dose of salt.
mmmm... salt makes it tasty!! yum yum! :lol:

Ronin+Scissors
26th August 2004, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by titan44@Aug 25 2004, 09:05 PM
I read somewhre that apple has more of a market share in the computer market than BMW has in the auto market, you don't see people screaming the BMW will be up against the wall.
Aaargh, I hate that analagy, why must people insist on using it!?! There is no fundamental difference between a BMW and an Hyundai, but there are fundamental differences between PCs and Macs.

That said, Apple is loaded, has a large share of the market (from a manufacturer's perspective,) is innovative, has a loyal customer-base, among other things. They aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

-Ronin with Scissors

Disko
26th August 2004, 05:10 PM
A question that i think affects us a little more, is what are Apple's plans for the Australian market? Apple's currency exchange calculator has been very er.. creative to say the least in the past years, with Australian prices being higher than the US prices. Will this kind of shafting continue? Also - what is in store for the hundreds of apple resellers in australia who get sfa margins on the apple products they put their days into selling?

Apple could go a couple of directions in Australia. They could increase their prescense here, which would benefit resellers as much as bigpond benefits other ISP's in the market. Apple could leave things as is - which is still shafting the resellers, or Apple could decide the Australian market isn't worth it... (which i doubt will happen)

decryption
26th August 2004, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by titan44@Aug 25 2004, 09:05 PM
That said, Apple is loaded
I read somewhere that they have clost to US$5,000,000,000 cash.
That's what I call loaded :D

titan44
26th August 2004, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Ronin+Scissors@Aug 26 2004, 04:51 PM

Aaargh, I hate that analagy, why must people insist on using it!?! There is no fundamental difference between a BMW and an Hyundai, but there are fundamental differences between PCs and Macs.

-Ronin with Scissors
Well it puts it all into perspective pretty quick for your average joe, That's why