PDA

View Full Version : Airport Extreme Question

titan44
24th August 2004, 01:29 PM
I just went out and got myself a Airport Base Station, on reading the docs i'm a bit confused, Do i need an external ADSL modem to hook it into or do i hook my phone line up to the Wan or Phone line socket????

Disko
24th August 2004, 01:34 PM
If you have an adsl connection, then yes - you should plug your modem into the wan port of your base station.
If you'd like to use dial up - you can put the phone line into the phone socket, and the base stations internal dialup modem will handle the connection for you.

titan44
24th August 2004, 01:36 PM
Thanks Disko

Crud! i was under the assumption that it had it's own biult in adsl modem ( was trying to dump my Alcatel speedtouch )

Jmi
24th August 2004, 01:36 PM
Since this question is asked, I too want to know about that and what is the difference with Airport Extreme and Airport Express??
I been looking at all the airport devices and there are like 2 - 3 different base stations that look the same or have the same description..

Is the express and smaller version of the Extreme?? Is the express a base station??
Does "base station" means a "router" in non-mac terms??

sorry for the long questions :unsure:

titan44
24th August 2004, 01:40 PM
I Just bought mine about 15 mins ago, And they only had the one model ( with the works ( Jack for Ex Antenna, Lan port, Wan port, USB, Modem line )) for $320,

dev_enter
24th August 2004, 02:10 PM
JMI:

"Base Station" means "Access Point" in non-Mac terms.

Airport Extreme is the Apple name for the 802.11g (54mbps) Wireless Standard.
Airport Express (http://www.apple.com.au/airportexpress/) is a Base Station which Apple sells, it is smaller than the Airport Extreme Base Station (http://www.apple.com.au/airportextreme/) and they have different features from each other.

Visit the above linked website for information about the two different base stations.

Jmi
24th August 2004, 02:25 PM
Great!
thanks bahamut. that's wat i need to know ^_^