PDA

View Full Version : Apple Store - Canberra

y2kermit
24th March 2012, 12:02 PM
Could it be true, is an Apple Store finally being built in Canberra?

SEEK - Apple Retail Genius - New Store Opening - Canberra Job in ACT (http://www.seek.com.au/job/21953175?cid=jobmail)

MrJesseRoss
24th March 2012, 03:21 PM
Seems like it: Australia: One New Store Confirmed, One Discovered (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/db/2012/03/23/australia-one-new-store-confirmed-one-discovered/)

NathR32
24th March 2012, 04:44 PM
I'm so excited. I love Apple, but it is annoying traveling to Sydney every time I need to go to an Apple Store. To have one in Canberra is one of the best things ever.

morgan
24th March 2012, 05:51 PM
It will undoubtedly be in Civic, that will certainly kill off the two Mac1 stores in City West and Canberra Centre.

DJY
24th March 2012, 06:03 PM
WOOHOO!

THis is great news :)

Saw it first on a local website -> riotACT
A real Apple store for Canberra? | The RiotACT (http://the-riotact.com/a-real-apple-store-for-canberra/68486)

then headed straight over to ifoapplestore... and voila it is there on their main page :)
Very good!

Hopefully not Belconnen or Woden... I also would prefer Civic... in the new end of the Canberra Centre would be great :)
Not sure I recall seeing any empty shops though - apart from the Grocer doing reno... that I think the sign also says Travel Centre are moving in with them.

DarkAvenger
24th March 2012, 08:41 PM
All you posters must have amnesia! There already was a 'genuine' Apple Centre in Canberra. It was located in the Fulton Muir building at the ANU on the corner of Barry Drive and North Road. In fact the Apple logo can still be seen on the side of the building (though I haven't been past there in a while). When the Apple Centre closed due to inadequate space the former Apple Centre staff transfered to the new Civic MAC1 store. Why Apple closed their only Canberra store is a mystery? (if they needed larger premises why didn't they just move into where the Civic MAC1 store is?). Interestingly when I asked one of the MAC1 staff a while back he insisted they are in fact Apple employed staff and that MAC1 is in fact Apple, but this can't be true since MAC1 are just an Apple authorised reseller, albet one with their own Apple like retail stores which is why they're mistaken for being genuine Apple stores.

DJY
24th March 2012, 09:21 PM
The building you are referring to was the MAC1 ANU store...
it still exists - they just moved to new premises in Hutton St (near Childers St)

MAC1 have three locations in Canberra, ANU, Canberra Centre, and Fyshwick.
MAC1 | Contact | We like Macs as much as you do! (http://www.mac1.com.au/contact/)

As you said... MAC1 is an Apple Premium Reseller are allowed to use the Apple logo (thus it was on their original building).

DarkAvenger
24th March 2012, 09:35 PM
The building you are referring to was the MAC1 ANU store...
it still exists - they just moved to new premises in Hutton St (near Childers St)

MAC1 have three locations in Canberra, ANU, Canberra Centre, and Fyshwick.

As you said... MAC1 is an Apple Premium Reseller are allowed to use the Apple logo (thus it was on their original building).

Are you sure they were MAC1 as the logo/word 'MAC1' never appeared anywhere on or in the building, only the words 'Apple Centre' along with the Apple logo appeared thus I always understood it was a 'genuine' Apple store.

Genebaby
24th March 2012, 10:32 PM
We've never had a proper Apple store. This is great news. Mac1 do not sell iPhones, how annoying was that when the 4S was coming out.

bartron
25th March 2012, 02:41 PM
Are you sure they were MAC1 as the logo/word 'MAC1' never appeared anywhere on or in the building, only the words 'Apple Centre' along with the Apple logo appeared thus I always understood it was a 'genuine' Apple store.

Yup, it's Mac1 which is an Apple reseller but that's about it. I should know as I've probably bought $150k worth of gear from them over the year (or referred others), but a "Apple" store it is not. The civic store and the one on hutton st are styled to 'look' like apple stores though and although I've come to know a few of the guys that work there I'll be glad to see an actual Apple store here in Canberra. If they put it in the canberra centre I'm not sure how the civic guys will take it but Fyshwick and ANU should be fine I would think.

I've never been to a real Apple store though so this will be a first for me :)

Bogus Jimmy
26th March 2012, 12:03 PM

Before Apple Retail stores, resellers/dealers were allowed to call themselves an "Apple Centre", but when Apple started opening retail stores they made all the existing resellers change their name, hence MAC1, Digital Appeal, etc.

Currawong
26th March 2012, 10:13 PM

The ANU Apple Centre used to be owned by ANUTech, which resided in that building. I used to work for them. Mac1 then bought them out when ANUTech was discovered to have lost 4 million dollars in revenue (it was supposed, from memory, to be a commercial arm of the ANU). When I was a child, ANUTech/PCTech resided in the end rooms of one of the Childers St "temporary buildings" (long since demolished) two doors from my father's room. We bought our first Mac from there back in 1988 or '89, an Apple Macintosh 512k Extended.

As Bogus Jimmy pointed out, Apple resellers who exclusively sold Apple computers and related products could be called an Apple Centre and use the logo. Apple paid for some of their store development costs at one stage too.

DJY
12th April 2012, 10:43 AM
So where do we think this Apple Store will end up?

arlibie
19th April 2012, 10:26 AM
QIC eyes new store for Civic centre (http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/qic-eyes-new-store-for-civic-centre-20120418-1x7wl.html)

Somewhere in Civic Centre around Target area maybe? That corner?

Biallystock
19th April 2012, 01:43 PM
The Mac1 AppleCentre in the Canberra Centre?

Let's face it will be vacant within a month of the Apple Store opening anyway. :)

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 PM ----------

Yup, it's Mac1 which is an Apple reseller but that's about it. I should know as I've probably bought $150k worth of gear from them over the year (or referred others), but a "Apple" store it is not. The civic store and the one on hutton st are styled to 'look' like apple stores though and although I've come to know a few of the guys that work there I'll be glad to see an actual Apple store here in Canberra. If they put it in the canberra centre I'm not sure how the civic guys will take it but Fyshwick and ANU should be fine I would think.

I've never been to a real Apple store though so this will be a first for me :)

It has always mystified me why anybody would buy from Mac 1.

Maybe you could enlighten me?

---------- Post added at 01:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 PM ----------

All you posters must have amnesia! There already was a 'genuine' Apple Centre in Canberra. It was located in the Fulton Muir building at the ANU on the corner of Barry Drive and North Road. In fact the Apple logo can still be seen on the side of the building (though I haven't been past there in a while). When the Apple Centre closed due to inadequate space the former Apple Centre staff transfered to the new Civic MAC1 store. Why Apple closed their only Canberra store is a mystery? (if they needed larger premises why didn't they just move into where the Civic MAC1 store is?). Interestingly when I asked one of the MAC1 staff a while back he insisted they are in fact Apple employed staff and that MAC1 is in fact Apple, but this can't be true since MAC1 are just an Apple authorised reseller, albet one with their own Apple like retail stores which is why they're mistaken for being genuine Apple stores.

Now that you mention it I must be suffering from amnesia!

What you remember bears absolutely no resemblance to anything I remember. Absolutely nothing. Hardly worth going through every discrepency.

bartron
19th April 2012, 02:46 PM
It has always mystified me why anybody would buy from Mac 1.

Maybe you could enlighten me?[COLOR="Silver"]

They sell Macs in boxes no different to any other Mac you can get in a box and they were across the road from work which was much more convenient that getting it in the post from Apple.

So purchasing, not an issue. Getting repairs done is a different matter.

DJY
19th April 2012, 02:52 PM
The Mac1 AppleCentre in the Canberra Centre?

Let's face it will be vacant within a month of the Apple Store opening anyway. :)

Too small

Biallystock
19th April 2012, 05:00 PM
They sell Macs in boxes no different to any other Mac you can get in a box and they were across the road from work which was much more convenient that getting it in the post from Apple.

So purchasing, not an issue. Getting repairs done is a different matter.

Never could get anything resembling a discount from them, which is why I gave them a pass.

The staff's frequent ignorance of Macs and Mac products is another reason to not bother.

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 PM ----------

Too small

Just me being facetious. :)

bartron
19th April 2012, 08:54 PM
Never could get anything resembling a discount from them, which is why I gave them a pass.

The staff's frequent ignorance of Macs and Mac products is another reason to not bother.

most resellers won't. They aren't like JB that can take a cut on Macs in the hope you buy a few dvd's while you're there, not to mention Apple puts restrictions on how much resellers can sell items at.

Salespeople being ignorant is not limited to Mac1 either, and on the flip side there are some quite knowledgeable staff there as well (moreso at the ANU store in my experience). If you know more (or think you do) then just walk in and say "I want to buy blah" and they'll give it to you.

back on topic though, I don't see the Mac1 store in the canberra centre surviving long with an Apple store next door unless they change something or offer some service the Apple store doesn't. That shop is set up to emulate the clean lines of an Apple store without being one so it's kinda like a "pretend" apple store. Most people I assume will want the real deal. I could perhaps see them packing up and moving to Belconnen or Woden instead though. They've had a good run where they are in the absence of Apple.

Holden Caulfield
5th June 2012, 08:47 PM
Isn't the store going in Garema Place opposite Roger Bartholemew? Must be getting close to opening now?

---------- Post added at 08:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

Oh can also verify the "Apple store" at ANU was never an Apple store as we know it today.

NathR32
5th June 2012, 11:16 PM
Isn't the store going in Garema Place opposite Roger Bartholemew? Must be getting close to opening now?

What makes you say that? Is there an open space there, or boarded off?

DJY
5th June 2012, 11:21 PM
Last time I walked through Canberra Centre there seemed to be several large black boarded off shops...
but hadn't heard the Garema Place option? Where abouts?

NathR32
6th June 2012, 12:05 AM
Last time I walked through Canberra Centre there seemed to be several large black boarded off shops...

I haven't been in the city for a while. Where are they boarded up?

I heard Dick Smith is closing down and so is Game, so there are two shops side by side that may be empty soon?

Holden Caulfield
6th June 2012, 09:50 PM
What makes you say that? Is there an open space there, or boarded off?

Yeah where the music store used to be is boarded up. Haven't been passed for a couple of weeks though. The size of that site would be suitable I think, just not sure if the location is that great. Although would add a bt of life to that part of town you'd think.

NathR32
6th June 2012, 10:25 PM
Yeah where the music store used to be is boarded up. Haven't been passed for a couple of weeks though. The size of that site would be suitable I think, just not sure if the location is that great. Although would add a bt of life to that part of town you'd think.

Ohhh I know exactly where you are talking about now....

robertj
9th August 2012, 09:50 PM
its going next to the boost store in the middle of canberra centre, and should be opened in September. They are working 24hrs a day to get it ready.

Holden Caulfield
13th August 2012, 12:38 PM
Not sure where the Boost store is/was, but apparently this photo was taken where Esprit used to be, on the top floor in between the Canberra Centre extension and the Myer entry...

http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-WJdppyZgFt8/UChjX8eGLCI/AAAAAAAA1co/38roDi8J7nA/s600/IGHY.jpeg

via: The Mark of Jobs in the Canberra Centre | The RiotACT (http://the-riotact.com/the-mark-of-jobs-in-the-canberra-centre/79821)

Biallystock
13th August 2012, 02:30 PM
It will undoubtedly be in Civic, that will certainly kill off the two Mac1 stores in City West and Canberra Centre.

Now there's a plus! :D

DJY
13th August 2012, 02:53 PM
Yep.

Was in there today.
Where Esprit used to be just near Boost / Gelatissimo booths are...

So it looks like it will be a good sized one as well :).

Door was open a crack today, but they have other layers of shielding to hide the interior, so couldn't see how close it was to being finished.

Peter Wells
2nd September 2012, 12:15 PM
Word on the street is that the Apple store Canberra will be opening this Saturday..

macscaf
4th September 2012, 10:25 AM
Received an email from Apple saying it is opening this Saturday

Introducing the Apple Store, Canberra.
Join us for our grand opening on Saturday, 8 September at 10:00 am.

It is in the Canberra Centre opposite Boost Juice on level 1.

Holden Caulfield
4th September 2012, 12:26 PM
Nerds can prove status worth with a free t-shirt I see...

Apple store opening this weekend. Free T-shirt! | The RiotACT (http://the-riotact.com/apple-store-opening-this-weekend-free-t-shirt/81473)

Renoman
4th September 2012, 12:41 PM
Yay. One little tiny thing to make this town a little bit less shit. Its still a horrible, ugly pointless pile of crap in the middle of nowhere, an Apple store is not going to cut it if they're trying to make it livable.

God I hate this town.... :crying:

Meh 626
4th September 2012, 08:39 PM
If anybody is going to the opening could you please get a Grand Opening Visitors guide for me? Many thanks!

Genebaby
5th September 2012, 07:48 AM
Geez, Canberra isn't that bad. You're free to leave, unless you're here against your will on some fascist billeting program.

I plan to go along with my daughter. We have all the Apple products we need for now but you never know.

Apple store close to work is great and handy for future product releases I want to get.

markh
5th September 2012, 09:32 AM
YAY. And glad that Mac1 in the Canberra Centre has gone. Bring on the great service!

Renoman
5th September 2012, 10:29 AM
Geez, Canberra isn't that bad. .

Yes it is. Unfortunatly, the job is good enough to suck it up for a bit.

Whenever people say Canberra is ok, the first question in response is "you have been to other places right...?"

I characterise it as a cross between Glen Waverley and Shepparton, without the nice bits.

MN21
5th September 2012, 10:42 AM
Mate seriously. If you hate it that much just leave. You also do know there are other places right? I bash Canberra as much as the next man, being born and bred there, I feel I have the right. But hey, I left many moons ago, maybe you should just do the same. If you can only do your job there then it isn't as bad as you say. Shut up, or just go live somewhere else.

Renoman
5th September 2012, 11:11 AM
A good job and decent mountain bike tracks to keep me sane.

I've lived in crappy places before for work, you make the choice and I came in eyes open. Its worse than I expected, but I'll survive.

I just fail to understand why it exists, and it irritates me for being pointless. We had two perfectly good cities that are not embarrassing to show off internationally - flip a bloody coin if it was that hard! Seems it was some weird sort of social experiment (that went horribly wrong...).

And its a really good example of why all architecs in the 80's should have been lined up and shot!

Anyway. Rant over. As you were.

Biallystock
5th September 2012, 11:35 AM

Innocent or what?

Biallystock
5th September 2012, 11:40 AM
And its a really good example of why all architecs in the 80's should have been lined up and shot!

I think it is Belconnen you really hate and I am with you 150% on that one!

Canberra is a shocker environmentally, nearly everything faces the wrong way, is bleak, shadowed and windswept, miles from anywhere else, so you have the illusion of substance where there is none, simply because it is always a long drive.

btw Your beef is really with the 60's and 70's town planners at the NCDC not architects.

Genebaby
7th September 2012, 02:34 PM
Mac1 have left already. New store looks very ready!

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz355/genebaby/0165DAB6-D53A-4613-B6C2-FF731DCC5036-13808-00000EAD08AE9EF5.jpg

Peter Wells
7th September 2012, 02:36 PM
I linked to a photo from @smperris on the Mactalk account this afternoon btw.

gumby08
7th September 2012, 04:16 PM
So...who's lining up? :D

Redman
7th September 2012, 06:39 PM
I characterise it as a cross between Glen Waverley and Shepparton, without the nice bits.

Bwhaaaaaaaa :thumbup: Love It

Genebaby
8th September 2012, 12:23 PM
The store is very nice, got some new headphones and some free t shirts.

arlibie
8th September 2012, 01:48 PM
First year I move out of Canberra and an Apple Store goes up! Still got friends who lined up to get me a t-shirt though ;)

Genebaby
8th September 2012, 05:57 PM
All the t shirts are XL. :(

So glad to have the store in town.

Holden Caulfield
10th September 2012, 11:17 AM
I wasn't fanboi enough to be applauded for walking thru the doors. I could have and kinda wanted the free tshirt, but I saved my dignity instead, haha.

Well done to those who went the whole nine yards.

Genebaby
12th September 2012, 08:18 AM
Well, I've never been to any Apple store before and I figured, how many chances do I have to be at an opening for one?

Haven't been back yet, lol.

Renoman
24th September 2012, 07:31 PM
Mighty glad it's there - needed a changeover phone today. Much much easier to do at a genius bar than via the post!!

Renoman
25th September 2012, 07:33 PM
Had a 9 am genius bar appointment to swap out my iphone this morning, so was waiting out the front as they opened up for the day.

The staff all stand inside the door and applaud the opening and the few of us waiting... Very very weird, little bit creepy.

Its a computer shop guys, not the second coming. Relax...

DJY
25th September 2012, 07:51 PM
Had a good chat with a couple of the staff in the store on Sunday.
They were all locals, and they all the ring ins from Apple are all heading home in a week.

I've been in a many Apple stores, here and overseas. Love the company approach and attitude :)
I had a TNT truck arrive at hom on Fri at 8.30am... needed a sim though.
Telstra store wouldn't help me, but walked in to the Apple store, and voila. Was instant and easy.

bartron
25th September 2012, 10:21 PM
Popped in this morning while I had 10 minutes. Had a look at the iPhone 5. No new iPods yet :(

First time I've ever been in an apple store.

DJY
26th September 2012, 12:09 AM
New iPods weren't going to be released until October.... along with the new iTunes.