PDA

View Full Version : OSX 10.3.9 and ISDN and Fax

kaisersozay
9th December 2005, 09:57 AM
I have a fax machine connected to my spare line. No trouble to fax out on that line and receive or make phone calls. But when someone tried faxing me the other day (on the dedicated fax line) the machine will not accept on auto, only by picking up the receiver, pressing 'manual' and replacing the receiver. Obviously this will not work if I am not present.
Rather than bother my friends to send endless inane faxes, I figured 'why not send one from the computer while connected to the other number?).
Firstly I would have to acquire fax software and I already have an excellent one in my old machine and still lurking in Classic... 'ValueFax Manager', but I realise it has to be configured for a fax modem and I have no idea whether or not my NT1 Plus II ISDN device can handle this.
Am I wasting my time? Do I bite the bullet and ask Telstra ISDN support? Shudder at the thought.
Maybe just get a friend to fax me and try to figure it from there.... hmmmmm
Anyone have any ideas or sent a fax ex Mac thru ISDN?

emacmark
9th December 2005, 10:06 AM
I dont believe you can as fax is analogue and ISDN is Digital. I had a normal phone line plugged into the 4th socket of my ISDN wall outlet into the emac modem and only then I could send and recieve faxs.

edit;

system preferences>print and fax>faxing......

here you can setup to send and recieve faxs via you macs modem that is plugged into the 4th socket of your isdn wall outlet

Mark

jastormont
9th December 2005, 10:20 AM
If your fax machine is alright I would try and fix that.

I have a Canon printer Copier and fax all in one and I had same trouble as you say you are having with your fax machine.

I would try and read the manual for the fax machine as with mine I had to enable a certain style of ring tone so that it could understand when to pickup. Also I think there are setting for like how many times it will ring before it will pick-up the call automatically for the fax.

I hope this helps. :)

kaisersozay
9th December 2005, 10:28 AM
Hi Mark,
You and I may be the only Mac users on the continent using ISDN.
The 4th plug of my ISDN wall fixture is used as the other line and occupied by my physical fax machine, which works but does not appear to receive on auto. It used to before ISDN and I suspect that the NT1+II is the problem for auto reception.
It isn't really necessary for me to send faxes ex my Mac, it was just a thought for easy testing of the recieving fax on the machine.
Frankly, I generally create .pdfs and email them. A far superior quality than a fax machine. Occassional outgoing faxes are used for black and white images of parts and such to workshops and repairers who till now have no email facility, or at least do not understand how to access these new age things. The bush is a contradiction interms... folk in the isolation are all tech savvy, yet the guys in town (country towns, anyway) are still communicating by shouting (when they're not on a break).
But thanks for the reply and the info. Again your knowledge hits the spot.
Regards
Jeff

kaisersozay
9th December 2005, 10:32 AM
You may have something there, jastormont.
My fax gets used so infreqquentl I have to open her up and sandpaaper the bars and oil the wheels. I have the manual handy and I will read what the Sharp Corp have to say. Particularly about rings, as I have noticed that the rings differ from pre ISDN.
Many thanks for the tought.
Jeff