PDA

View Full Version : IP Printing

Quasar
21st August 2004, 10:56 AM
So...I have an old Laserjet 5L hooked up to my router/print server and got it IP printing fine on my XP box. But try as I might I can't get it working to print from my ibook.

Using the printing preferences it seems to be configured right. But nothing ever prints.

Help!

elvis
21st August 2004, 12:00 PM
How have you set it up on the OSX machine? You should specify IP printing (rather than letting rendezvous do it automagically, or using appletalk) then manually enter the IP of the device. Choose your make and model PPD information. Is that how you've done it?

Quasar
21st August 2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by elvis@Aug 21 2004, 12:00 PM
How have you set it up on the OSX machine? You should specify IP printing (rather than letting rendezvous do it automagically, or using appletalk) then manually enter the IP of the device. Choose your make and model PPD information. Is that how you've done it?
Yep.

Its set for IP printing (LPR). And I tried both the closest thing to my actual model (HP Laserjet 5 series) as well as the generic driver.

Didnt make any difference.

Also tried configuring it via the browser.

cmetom
21st August 2004, 01:42 PM
i have a similar problem with my LaserJet 4Plus.. it has an NIC and thus an IP address.

works fine on windows, can't print to it from mac. it will list it, i can install driver etc, but the printer bitches with some error (i'll check tonight) when i print from the mac.

elvis
21st August 2004, 05:30 PM
Have you tried grabbing the actual PPD's from HP's website?

And is there some way you can get feedback from the printer? Can it print error codes? Are the printers 100% Postcript (Preferably at least level 2) compatible?

hawker
22nd August 2004, 10:59 AM
I've had the same problem with a Lexmark that is being run through a linux server. Some settings I can get my powerbook to print to the printer, but it prints out jibbrish? Anyone have any ideas?

elvis
22nd August 2004, 06:44 PM
All of these problems sound like fairly typical dramas with postscript printing.

Linux printing (through CUPS (http://www.cups.org)) can be set up to either control the printer at the server, or set up "raw" devices which pass through information from the drivers at the client side. If server-side driving gives you issues, use a raw device with client-side drivers (PPDs downloaded from the company's website are always a good idea) and see if that fixes your dramas.

I know most folks will just try the standard MacOSX drivers, but it is a good idea to branch ou occasionally and give PPDs from other places a go.

The printer-manufacturer's website is a good place to start. LinuxPrinting (http://www.linuxprinting.org/) have their foomatic and PPDomatic scripts which can generate PPDs for your devices.

Experiment with your hardware and drivers. If the defaults don't give you the answer, there's plenty of tweaking to be done. Remember that MacOSX is built on BSD. This is an entire open-source framework that gives you as the end user almost unlimited options to get your systems working exactly as you want them too! Get out there and get your hands dirty!!!

[EDIT] I should also mention Gimp-Print, which now have a section dedicated to MacOSX users!!!

http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php3

Read the FAQ, and get tweaking those drivers!!!

elvis
24th August 2004, 06:12 PM
So... no replies in a few days. Either it's all working or no-one has had the time to try it all?