PDA

View Full Version : Go on be honest who has..............

jeremy_warnock
6th December 2005, 08:20 PM
tried the get OS X86 (deadmoo) working??

Anybody had any luck ??

vargz
6th December 2005, 09:15 PM
In all honesty....

No and No.

Rayd
6th December 2005, 09:17 PM
hmmm i sure havnt, and have no intention to either... i have a real mac. also i think this this thread is rubbish... :)

the_OM
6th December 2005, 09:34 PM
Yeah, I got it up and running on a Thinkpad.
Then thought to myself, "what the fuck am I doing, I have a G4 powerbook!"

It was fun for a while though, but let's face it, if you already have a mac the excitement wears off pretty quickly and then you realise you can't really do shit with it.

nicwithsticks
6th December 2005, 09:40 PM
I also have a real Mac, and intend to buy an Intel based one, when they are released next year.

I have to say though, I have been watching closely to see how these supposed hacking attempts have been going. I find it interesting that so many closet OS X lovers have come out of the woodwork since the leak of the dev DVD's.

People love to bash Mac's and OS X and then download it in secret. How hypocrtitical.

eroda
6th December 2005, 09:42 PM
i got it working, not deadmoo tho

Jaffa
6th December 2005, 10:02 PM
nope. i have no peecee to get it working on anyways ;)

MacMatt
7th December 2005, 01:05 AM
Are you able to direct me towards a copy of the developer OS for intel please? Torrent? Limewire?

I have a PC, I wanting to try it on.....

Cheers,

notzac
7th December 2005, 03:49 AM
try the first of your suggestions, at all the usual suspects.

*cough* i've seen quite a few copies of the .iso doing the rounds, along with pdf's on how to install it. probably worth getting both if you're going to bother. :-)

kim jong il
7th December 2005, 07:03 AM
Be honest?? NO I can't see a reason to try it. The only reason that I am buying an 8x086 machine is to perform some crappy tasks that you can't do on a mac (as yet). Then, as it is, I need (well, don't need actually but could just plain use DOS app's for some very, (VERY) basic tasks ONLY.

kim

jeremy_warnock
7th December 2005, 09:13 AM
theres a well written walk through here

http://www.andrewescobar.com/archive/2005/...l-installation/ (http://www.andrewescobar.com/archive/2005/10/01/mac-on-intel-installation/)

brought to us by the same guy who brought us frontrow on non imacs.

Im curious to the number of hostile responses - i figured this was a site for knowledge - Im not saying that the current x86 is great i was just curious on people thoughts of the alpha version.

napes
7th December 2005, 09:25 AM
I agree with you jeremy_warnock - what happened to plain curiosity!?!?! I don't have a windoze box (yet), but would be curious just to see if I COULD get OSXintel running on it... for no other reason that to try it out!

Lucas
7th December 2005, 11:30 AM
Yeah the thread was a little hostile, especially considering it was on a mac topic that I am sure will affect us all soon.

I am not interested in trying it out but I am in the experiences of those that do.

sikosis
7th December 2005, 11:32 AM
yeh a mate of mine got it working on a Dell ... and hows this for a halo effect ... he then went and bought a Powerbook ;)

forgie
7th December 2005, 12:07 PM
All I can say is: the hostility is, well, what gives mac users a bad name. If you don't care for this sort of thing, then you don't care. When you make hostile posts about people who do then you are showing yourself to be reactionary.

I couldn't be shagged trying it out myself, since I have a non-intel chipset and most of my hardware won't work with it (and I only have an SSE2 Pentium), but I am interested in knowing about what it's like, what the snags are, what works and what doesn't.

e.g. I've heard that the Intel Dev boxes have a boot loader which can load windows. Sweet! This sort of info is VERY interesting.

Don't kill information and inquisition with your knee-jerk reactions. Grow up.

jeremy_warnock
7th December 2005, 12:26 PM
Forgie the boot loader you refer to that curently works is chain0 - but you need a winxp box but it works well. unlike the windows bootloaders it just looks for os x it dosnt care about partitions from what i can see

cmetom
7th December 2005, 01:18 PM
first of all, how can some of you still be so backwards as to end up turning this into an anti-PC-users / anti-PC thread?!! c'mon guys, we're more mature than that. well i thought we were. ._.

*edit*
anyway carry on.

g3monster
7th December 2005, 01:31 PM
I used Os x on a x86-64 system for 1 day and just this morning I ordered 3 macs useing os x x86!!!!!

I AM NOW A LOYAL MAC FAN AND I LITERALLY WILL THROW MY PC OUT THE WINDOWS ONCE MY MACS ARRIVE!!!!!!

Disko
7th December 2005, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by g3monster@Dec 7 2005, 02:01 PM
I used Os x on a x86-64 system for 1 day and just this morning I ordered 3 macs useing os x x86!!!!!

I AM NOW A LOYAL MAC FAN AND I LITERALLY WILL THROW MY PC OUT THE WINDOWS ONCE MY MACS ARRIVE!!!!!!
get that keyboard fixed while you're at it. it makes you type like a twelve year old. :)

g3monster
7th December 2005, 01:46 PM
lol

just happy that I am finally getting a good computer!!!!

the_OM
7th December 2005, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by g3monster@Dec 7 2005, 01:31 PM
You type as though your about 12 like Disko said....... so I'm going to be the first one to call bullshit on you ordering three macs.

Back on topic (sorta), I think that most people who are hostile about this are the mac users that feel they are above regular pc users, and get all angst driven when they see pc users getting the advantage of OS X on cheap hardware. These are the users who give us a bad name...... if you ever read a journalist talk about the "mac cult" and how he got 500-odd emails from furious mac fans for an article he wrote the week before that said something Apple did wasn't perfect, then these are the guys who emailed him.

woah.... how is that for bait gentlemen?

By the way, I did it for curiousity sake, I wanted to see what the performance is like, how different it is, what I'm in for next year........ and finally, because I could do it.

jeremy_warnock
7th December 2005, 05:09 PM
well i had a copy set-up on a hp dc7100, and was super impressed - before the mac fan's start, i own a g4 powerbook, 1.6ghz with 512 megs - i just wanted to see what the performance was like. I must admit once I optimised the install for the sse3 3ghz p4 im using, enabled rosetta and core graphics etc - it kicked the power littel powerbooks ass. The only thing i had an issue with was the audio driver but I had to ghost the machine for a user so I never got chance to fix that fully.

but kudos to apple os x on intel is very nice indeed

sikosis
8th December 2005, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by g3monster@Dec 7 2005, 01:31 PM
I ordered 3 macs useing os x x86!!!!!
considering they don't exist yet ... I find that very hard to believe. :blink:

Disko
8th December 2005, 12:51 PM
I think he means he was using OSX86 to go on the net, and make the order for 3 macs.

queraxus
8th December 2005, 12:52 PM
I don't own anything with x86.

Bolt
8th December 2005, 02:53 PM
I've seen it around the torrent sites, but of course, I have no need for it, as I'm perfectly happy with my PowerMac G5 ... however, I am planning on picking up a Macintel notebook, hopefully this January :)