PDA

View Full Version : Flashing PC gfx cards and buying guide {merged}

Gothikon
31st January 2004, 08:52 AM
Jobe edit: I have just merged the two pinned graphics card threads to save a bit of space. You can find the original Graphics card buying guide put together by Sprinter starting here! (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=123&view=findpost&p=34243). Sorry for any inconvenience

Well last night was a great time for the Mac graphics flashing community, and for n00bs this stuff is quite interesting.

Over at XYM they now have ROMs and flash kits for AGP/PCI GeForce FX 5200's and PCI RADEON 9100's

(Incidentally it looks like a number of the FX5200's would fit in a Cube)

This means the following cards are now flashable

AGP GeForce 2mx
AGP GeForce 3 (although IIRC the ASUS 8200? was the only one that people had any real luck with)
AGP/PCI GeForce FX5200 (almost all variants)

AGP/PCI Radeon 7000 , most people tend to flash the same rare models although I beleive almost any would work.

AGP Radeon 8500
AGP/PCI RADEON 9100
AGP Radeon 9600/9700/9800

Most of these cards will only work in New world Macs and upwards that means iMac or B/W G3's ++ The exceptions are the PCI R7000 and R9100. Apparently the PCI FX5200's cane be made to work but it requires some software hacking which probably isn't worth it anyway.

Flashed GeForce 2's will lose any TV-out capability and not all dual head ones work. Radeons will retain any dual head or TV-out capability but I'm not sure about the FX5200's

The following links are your friends

http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com/ubb/Forum24/HTML/000607.html Radeon 9100
http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com/ubb/Forum24/HTML/000609.html GeForce FX5200

http://www.techseekers.net/modules.php?nam...owcontent&id=71 (http://www.techseekers.net/modules.php?name=Reviews&rop=showcontent&id=71) for the higher end Radeons and FX 5200

http://www.cybercoment.com/macgeforce.htm for GeForce 2's and Radeon 8500

more generally xlr8yourmac.com and http://www.macbidouille.com/ (can't remember the link to the English version of that site) The Radeon 7000 flash kit is a bit tricky to find but I believe I have a copy somewhere.

And for the old timers IIRC any 3dfx card can be flashed, although you don't actually need to do anything to the VooDoo 2

decryption
31st January 2004, 09:29 AM
Has anyone actually flashed an AGP PC FX5200 to work in a Mac yet? Or has it been all theory so far?

Byrd
31st January 2004, 10:05 AM
This is great - I'm looking to pick up that ATI 7000 PCI very soon, Gothikon. MSY have Gigabyte ones for $53, going off their terrible site :)

Gothikon
1st February 2004, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by decryption@Jan 31 2004, 09:29 AM
Has anyone actually flashed an AGP PC FX5200 to work in a Mac yet? Or has it been all theory so far?
If you check out the Techseekers and xym 5200 thread links you will see a number of people have done it. I have personally flashed GeForce 2's and Radeon 8500's. A friend up the road is using a flashed Radeon 7000 in his cube.

The reason most of these things work is because the Mac and PC cards are physically identical with with one or two exceptions, PC cards never have ADC, and the ROMs are often different sizes, some manufactures then skimp on the ROM chip so yo can't fit a larger, e Mac ROM on them, this isn't too common though.

In terms of legality Nvidia have effectively said they don't care as long as they get their share of the money for the cards. 3DFx actually encouraged it and ATI get a bit upset.

cmetom
1st February 2004, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Gothikon@Feb 1 2004, 09:03 AM
A friend up the road is using a flashed Radeon 7000 in his cube.
i have an 7000 in my G3 PowerMac... i believe it's flashed as it has a VGA and DVI connector and no apple digital-thingy connector, whatever it's called.

Gothikon
2nd February 2004, 06:34 AM
Probably not, the Mac retail version of the Radeon 7000 had no ADC connector it was a lowend card aimed at older machines like the biege and b/w g3 which have no ADC power connector on the motherboard. There are no PCI cards that support ADC

cmetom
2nd February 2004, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Gothikon@Feb 2 2004, 07:34 AM
Probably not, the Mac retail version of the Radeon 7000 had no ADC connector it was a lowend card aimed at older machines like the biege and b/w g3 which have no ADC power connector on the motherboard. There are no PCI cards that support ADC
hehe ok... the guy i bought it from said it was genuine, but i thought he was lying :lol:
for once the salesman wasn't lying!!!

Cory5412
2nd February 2004, 11:11 PM
ohh no... he was Lying to you about *something*

I almost bought an old pc radeon 7k awhile back, they were like, $30 or something, rathere interesting actually :P

If I had money and wanted better graphics for my G3 (supposed to be a server) then I would certainly look into it :P

TJOsX
26th February 2004, 12:44 PM
Thanks bYrd for providing the instructions. I went out today and bought a new Powercolor 64mb Radeon 7000. Flashing on the PC side went fine but the Mac (a PowerMac G3) wouldn't flash with the Mac rom--50% of the way through I got an error message saying slot C1 error. Card won't work. Anyone got any ideas? Anyone succesfully flashed one of these cards?

Byrd
26th February 2004, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by TJOsX@Feb 26 2004, 12:44 PM
Thanks bYrd for providing the instructions. I went out today and bought a new Powercolor 64mb Radeon 7000. Flashing on the PC side went fine but the Mac (a PowerMac G3) wouldn't flash with the Mac rom--50% of the way through I got an error message saying slot C1 error. Card won't work. Anyone got any ideas? Anyone succesfully flashed one of these cards?
Hi TJOsX,

firstly welcome to the forums!

Is you card an SDR or DDR version? DDR ones are the only ones that'll work. If so, consider flashing it back to it's original state on the PC (hope you kept your PC's ROM file). The ATI 208 ROM updater comes with an older version ROM on the SIT file which you could try. Also, try flashing the card in another PCI slot of your G3, and start up the machine with no extentions.

I hope you get there in the end!

JB

Shawry
26th February 2004, 06:04 PM
why would anyone buy a radeon 7000? they are pretty damn ancient and with the newer cards only $20-30 more it doesnt seem worth it!

Byrd
26th February 2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Shawry@Feb 26 2004, 06:04 PM
why would anyone buy a radeon 7000? they are pretty damn ancient and with the newer cards only $20-30 more it doesnt seem worth it!
For a Mac, however? I'm interested if you know of any other card that gives you OS X compatibility, enough grunt for most games and TV/DVI out for 50 odd dollars! I know by PC standards it's a decidedly average card (probably coming at original GeForce 1 speeds), but for the above uses is ideal.

JB

TJOsX
26th February 2004, 11:40 PM
( bYrd @ Feb 26 2004, 06:01 PM)
Is you card an SDR or DDR version? DDR ones are the only ones that'll work. If so, consider flashing it back to it's original state on the PC (hope you kept your PC's ROM file). The ATI 208 ROM updater comes with an older version ROM on the SIT file which you could try. Also, try flashing the card in another PCI slot of your G3, and start up the machine with no extentions.

Thanks for the welcome!
The card is 64mb DDR.
Did you mean to flash it back to PC in order to try the Mac again, or just to give up? BTW, when I flashed on the PC side I didn't boot into "safe" mode, just booted from the boot floppy. I assumed that was what you meant.

I tried the older version ROM (119 I think), no go. Also tried slot A1, again, no go. When I tried with extensions off, the ATI 208 program wouldn't run, saying that it needed an Lib file that I didn't have (which it didn't say with extensions on).

All very strange.

goldorak
26th February 2004, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by bYrd@Feb 26 2004, 06:01 PM
Hi TJOsX,

I hope you get there in the end!

JB
Hi, i have the same problem with my card (PowerColor Radeon7000 Evil Wizard 64 MB DDR PCI).
I have tried to flash it in my Blue & White G3 running 9.2.1 with no luck! (Error flashing the card after 50% completion)
I had the same result in a much less PCI crowded 9600 running 9.1.
I tried both version of the firmware (119 & 208) in both machines with the same result!

If anybody has a suggestion, i would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you.

Goldorak

goldorak
27th February 2004, 07:10 AM
I think it has to do with the size of the EEPROM wich is 64KB on a PowerColor Radeon 7000.
That would explain the failiure at exactly 50% of the flashing operation.
The URL below explains why it's working for some people (mislabeled EEPROM that are actually 128KB)
I've read some post on:
http://www.falkemedia.com/cgi-bin/forum/fo...43482;start=800 (http://www.falkemedia.com/cgi-bin/forum/forum.cgi?board=hardware;action=display;num=104524 3482;start=800)
That point in that direction...
I'm investigating changing the EEPROM to a 128k version

If somebody could prove me wrong i would be very glad!!!

Goldorak

Byrd
27th February 2004, 04:59 PM
All I've tested is the 32MB DDR Powercolor card - but going off that German forum, the 64MB DDR Powercolor has been just as successful.

http://atimacunderground.freeservers.com/instructions.html

The site above has an older ATI Mac flash ROM updater. Otherwise, experiment with different versions of the PC FLASHROM.EXE file - some work better with some EEPROMs than others.

TJOsX: Yep, i'd try flashing the PC ROM back onto it, from your PC. Then, try flashing the older ATI Mac updated (see link above). Of perhaps, you've scored a dodgy one like goldorak with 1/2 and flash memory :(

TJOsX
28th February 2004, 12:22 PM
Good news (and a little bad)

I bought a "genuine" ATI PC Radeon 7000 32mb PCI card today, since everywhere I read said that flashing to Mac always worked with them. Sure enough, it worked perfectly. I am sitting at an old G3 desktop with the Radeon 7000 doing it all. Now, on to the big job--trying to get Panther to run on the machine, which was my original goal. The actual, new, ATI card cost $80 CAN ($59 US, and about $73 Aus). It was exactly what I paid for the PowerColor 64mb card which didn't work. Of course, I lose the DVI, SVideo (neither of which I'll use) and the extra 32mb of VRAM (which would have been nice with OsX). I've reflashed the Powercolor card back to PC and it works perfectly again back in one of my WinXP machines. Now I've got to decide what to do with the card. There is a 15% restocking fee if I return it. But if I "eat" that as part of the cost, the reflashed ATI card still comes in at just over half the price of a true Mac card. Thanks again, bYrd for the original setup and help.

BTW, my other two Macs are a 700mhz iBook and a PM 7600. I have the 7600 running OsX (with a 200mhz 604e and 448mb RAM). The idea was to replace the 7600 with the G3 desktop as an extra "occasional use" and backup machine. I definitely want to get Panther running on it. I bought it Monday for $31 US and picked up 512mb RAM to go in it ($96 US). Together with the ATI card and restocking fee I'm up to $195. I'll run it for awhile with the 233mhz G3 and then decide if a processor upgrade is worthwhile.

Byrd
28th February 2004, 06:00 PM
TJOsX,

Shame the Powercolor card didn't work. Sounds like some of their ATI 7000 cards have 64K ROMS instead of the normal 128K. Do you still have a copy of your Powercolor PC ROM - i'd like a copy of it. My email is jbird@alphalink.com.au

On a PC, the card is still pretty useful - obviously not so much if you already have an AGP slot. It'd serve it's use very well on say a motherboard which doesn't have AGP, for DivX or DVD playback on a TV. ATI cards give much better quality TV out over nVidia cards. If you're interested in modding, the ATI card also supports composite sync, for which a 5" PSOne LCD screen can be hacked to VGA output :)

How does OS X run on your 7600 (and with a decent amount of RAM)? With your beige G3, overclock it - you'll get at least 266, maybe 300 to make things a little more smoother under OS X. Upgrading the VRAM to it's full 6MB also helps.

JB

jameso
1st March 2004, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by TJOsX@Feb 28 2004, 12:22 PM
I'll run it for awhile with the 233mhz G3 and then decide if a processor upgrade is worthwhile.
Your g3 should over clock too 266 or 300 with out a problem, check out xlr8yourmac.com for the jumper settings. I Think you will find that the cpu upgrade is not worth it if panther will not run with out post facto.

jameso

TJOsX
6th March 2004, 01:38 PM
My email is jbird@alphalink.com.au

JB--I tried the email address and it bounced back. Please confirm that this is your correct email address if you still want the file.

Byrd
6th March 2004, 06:34 PM
TJ - yep that's it. Any more luck with the ATI 7000 card?

jbird@alphalink.com.au

Alternatively

jordibird@hotmail.com

Thanks

JB

mbd
14th April 2004, 03:04 PM
Has anyone tried using a PC Radeon 9200SE in a mac? They're around $70-$80 now and would be pretty nice to have running. I've been unable to find any reports around the net of anyone trying (let alone anyone succeeding).

Gothikon
14th April 2004, 07:02 PM
Rocket Factory, currently the 9200 is not available for the Mac so there is no Mac rom, however ATI recently released some new mac software for their cards and in the package there were logos for all there current mac cards, AND the 9200 PCI, the 9200 IIRC is used in the new eMacs, hopefully the 9200 PCI will be released soon and we can start flashing them.

To everyone else who is having problems flashing Radeon 7000's there are a couple of issues to be aware of.

1) Almost all 64MB cards will prevent a new world machine from sleeping correctly. This means B/W G3 and upwards. A 64MB card in a beige g3 or earlier should have no problems.

2) Some Mac and Flashed PC Radeons produce garbled video when waking from sleep, I don't think anyone knows the cause and it's just bad luck if you are affected.

3) Most newer cards only have a 64K ROM, the Mac ROM is 128k, people at cubeowner.com have successfully swapped eeproms on these cards as have the people who started this all over at http://www.falkemedia.com/cgi-bin/forum/fo...;num=1045243482 (http://www.falkemedia.com/cgi-bin/forum/forum.cgi?board=hardware;action=display;num=104524 3482)

This means that whilst the particular model byrd bought had 128k ROM there is no guarantee that this particular model of R7000 always has a 128k ROM

I can't remember where but I have read about a hacked ROM which fits in 64k cards, I think this was at cubeowner but I can't remember.

I'm looking at buying a Radeon 32MB 7000 this weekend as a stop gap until I can be bothered hacking my R8500 in to my cube because i really want something with s-video out. I'll report back and let you know how it goes.

I found a site with ATI ROMs for most Mac and PC cards this morning, I'll post the link back here if I find it.

EDIT - Found the thread about flashing 64k cards
http://www.cubeowner.com/forums/index.php?...pic=1063&st=260 (http://www.cubeowner.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1063&st=260)

mbd
14th April 2004, 11:44 PM
thanks for the reply gothikon... Let me know how you go with the 7000 job in the cube - if it's not too pricey, I might do the same with mine :-). I'd be especially interested to hear if the s-video out works on the cube or not... If it all works out, let me know where you bought your card :-)

Disko
23rd August 2004, 03:00 PM
These links are too good to be forgotten

*sticky*

fox69
8th September 2004, 07:31 PM
The RADEON 9200 128MB MacEdition PCI Graphics Card has just been released. Available at Other World Computing: http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Item.cfm...em=ATI100436011 (http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Item.cfm?ID=6860&Item=ATI100436011)

They are USD129, however if you buy anything from OWC, try to see if they'll send it via the US Postal Service (USPS) rather that through UPS which is who they normally use. The problem is that when goods arrive in Australia via UPS they are automatically subject to any duty or GST (fair enough) but also there is a costly admin/processing fee (AUD40+) which will probably be more than the cost of any duty and taxes! Anyway, if you get it sent via USPS then customs will probably just let it through if it's under a certain value because they have to manually process arrivals sent through the mail.

There is a PC PCI version of the 9200 (not the SE model which is an AGP interface), 128MB of DDR memory with a 128bit ROM. Anyways, it would be interesting to get a Mac edition and a PC version together in the same place and try flashing the PC one with the Mac ROM image. The price difference will be probably be around AUD80.

Gothikon
8th September 2004, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by RocketFactory@Apr 14 2004, 11:44 PM
thanks for the reply gothikon... Let me know how you go with the 7000 job in the cube - if it's not too pricey, I might do the same with mine :-). I'd be especially interested to hear if the s-video out works on the cube or not... If it all works out, let me know where you bought your card :-)
I bought a Radeon 7000 off ebay in the end, it cost about 100 AUD including shipping. PCI Radeon 7000's cost about 80 AUD here and I couldn't find any AGP ones so I figured a 100 AUD wasn;t a bad deal. I actually bought 2 in the end, the first one was a little large but has DVI VGA and S-Video, the second one is smaller but only has S-Video and AGP. However it works fine in my Cube and it's much more enjoyable watching movies from my Cube than my noisy PC.

The larger Radeon 7000 is sitting here doing nothing, been meaning to put it back on eBay. Anyway if you do an ebay search for Radeon 7000's there is a guy called yoyomarv or something who I bought both of mine from, only took about a week to arrive. He also has a bunch of GeForce 3;s but these have issues in AGP 2x machines and don't have S-Video out, at least not that works on the Mac. I'm looking for working 9200 ROMs myself, plenty of small form factor cards that would fit a Cube without modifications and better performance than the 7000 about equal to an 8500

napes
27th September 2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by fox69@Sep 8 2004, 07:31 PM
The RADEON 9200 128MB MacEdition PCI Graphics Card has just been released. Available at Other World Computing: http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Item.cfm...em=ATI100436011 (http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Item.cfm?ID=6860&Item=ATI100436011)

The problem is that when goods arrive in Australia via UPS they are automatically subject to any duty or GST (fair enough) but also there is a costly admin/processing fee (AUD40+) which will probably be more than the cost of any duty and taxes!
Heya

Has anyone actually bought Mac Edition Radeon cards from the USA? I've been trying to find out what the additional costs for Duty and GST will equal, but the Australian Customs website isn't very specific. I've had no luck finding a store that is happy about using USPS instead of FedEX or UPS either.

cheers

(napes)

EDIT : Recieved my new card (Radeon 9000 Pro 128 AGP) yesterday - took about 3 days to get FedEx'ed out from the US, and no GST or Duties were charged (cost was $149 US + Postage about $30) - all up under AU$250. Ran a few games last night that chugged like hell with the stock GeForce 4MX (32mb) and they ran really really nicely. I think the extra RAM helps as I'm running dual 19" @ 1200x600 - even desktop stuff is loads smoother. :) Happy as a pig in sh*t I am. :)

thebag
27th September 2004, 12:55 PM
Napes,

I have purchased an ATI MacRadeon 7000 PCI from OWC recently(along with processor upgrades and memory)they are great, apparently if you keep your order below $250(still don't know if AU or US dollar) you don't get charged GST/import duty etc.

I highly recommend it, unless of course you can get the card from an Aussie dealer for a reasonable price. You save heaps even if you use a UPS/FEDEX.

Not wanting to seem like Tom Hanks in Castaway(one big add for FEDEX) Fedex is generally better than UPS(quicker and cheaper).

There will be issues with warranty, but I feel OWC would honour any warranty repairs it may just cost in postage.

Hopefully some of this helps

Regards Mark

napes
27th September 2004, 02:58 PM
Thanks for that info Mark. :) I'll buy through OWC then - I was concerned at copping nasty import duties etc

I've been searching about for cards in Australia and they're hard to find and really really expensive when you do. I went into NextByte (Melbourne CBD store), and apart from them being utter muppets, the prices they quoted would have almost made it worthwhile to buy a whole new machine!

cheers :)

(napes)

Gothikon
2nd October 2004, 08:24 AM
A couple of news bites I found over at Cubeowner.com

First up it seems that the latest ATI ROM update fixes the wake from sleep issue found on flashed 64Mb Radeon 7000's

Secondly, and this is what I'm most interested in, a number of people are starting to see real success when flashing Radeon 9200's. Why is this such a big deal? 9200's are at least as good as if not better than Radeon 9000's and 8500's/9100's However there are loads of half height versions of these cards and they run cooler. This means they can be fitted in a Cube withought moving the VRM. ROMs are available from cubeowner.com and there are many guides to doing the "tape trick" which allows AGP 8x cards to work in the Cube and other older Macs.

Whilst the techniques haven't been perfected things are finally progressing well, I'd be out there grabbing a PowerColour 9200 right now if I wasn't still paying off my PB and my G/Fs birthday wasn't right around the corner...

NOTE I HAVE NOT TRIED ANY OF THIS YET (but I'll update when I have a 9200, probably next month)

Links

9200's almost working perfectly and tape trick
http://www.cubeowner.com/forums//index.php...pic=7892&st=120 (http://www.cubeowner.com/forums//index.php?showtopic=7892&st=120)

It appears "Sprinter" who has done much of the work is another Australian, we should get them on here.

Byrd
2nd October 2004, 09:02 PM
Thanks Gothikon.

The ROM update works fine on my PC flashed PCI Radeon 7000.

The ATI software ... seemed fine, until I tried fiddling with some of the refresh rate, TV and resolution settings of the software. It froze, I rebooted, and then only detected 16MB of VRAM on the card.

The machine became really unstable at this point, and I had to delete the ATI preferences, then reinstall the software.

Didn't touch much more after that = all stable again :D

JB

Gothikon
3rd October 2004, 07:54 AM
Did you install the ATI displays update as well as the ROM update?

Byrd
3rd October 2004, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Gothikon@Oct 3 2004, 07:54 AM
Did you install the ATI displays update as well as the ROM update?
Yep, ROM update first, then ATI software. Seems fine now, the TV-out features are better than my HTPC (an EPIA-800 mobo)!

JB

titan44
26th October 2004, 04:10 PM
Hey disko, how did you go with a 9800 in your cube? did you end up finding a sapphire?

Disko
26th October 2004, 04:15 PM
Nah, i couldn't source a Sapphire. It turns out that most ATI 9800's will work though... You can check my progress in this thread (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=1347). :)

darrenk
11th November 2004, 02:21 AM
I would love to be able to just drop in a PowerColor Radeon 9800 PRO into a new G5 for two reasons:
1. CTO times are getting ridiculous, my local reseller is telling me that ordering in a dual 2Ghz G5 with the 9800XT card could take anywhere from 2-8 weeks;
2. 9800's aren't exactly the latest graphics cards, yet Apple are still charging over $550 to add this to a new G5 setup - the same card for PC's is so much cheaper!

However, I don't want to have to mess around with flashing cards, or finding out that later down the track the video card doesn't work well with DVD Studio Pro/Motion/Final Cut Pro HD.

Probably more of a general rant I guess, but it's annoying as buggery and really doesn't help Apple sell more of their wonderful G5's.

titan44
11th November 2004, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by darrenk@Nov 11 2004, 02:21 AM
I would love to be able to just drop in a PowerColor Radeon 9800 PRO into a new G5 for two reasons:
1. CTO times are getting ridiculous, my local reseller is telling me that ordering in a dual 2Ghz G5 with the 9800XT card could take anywhere from 2-8 weeks;
2. 9800's aren't exactly the latest graphics cards, yet Apple are still charging over $550 to add this to a new G5 setup - the same card for PC's is so much cheaper!

However, I don't want to have to mess around with flashing cards, or finding out that later down the track the video card doesn't work well with DVD Studio Pro/Motion/Final Cut Pro HD.

Probably more of a general rant I guess, but it's annoying as buggery and really doesn't help Apple sell more of their wonderful G5's.
That's what i did, Works fine with Final cut (HD), Dvd Studio Pro and Motion. I had hoped that motion would get a bit more quicker that it did, but i think that that will sort its self out with a bit more ram ( if onlt that would drop in price ).

darrenk
11th November 2004, 08:45 PM
Thanks titan44 - I'll have to give it a go, I was anxious about it at first but there seems to be quite a few people having success with a third-party 9800. Speaking of RAM, I wish there was a way to get the G5 minus RAM - once again, third-party ram works fine and is a lot cheaper!

vortex
23rd November 2004, 03:40 PM
Flashing a third party 9800 pro works fine, I got the gecube 9800pro version, as long as it is a 256bit card, made off the ati reference board, it should be fine.
Using the small roms, works as per normal, sure beats the pants off my old 5200ultra..

Rayd
6th December 2004, 07:13 PM
my first flash ever. and it was 100% successful! i got a brand spankin new Gigabyte 9800 PRO in my Dual 800 G4 :D all i had to do was tape the 3rd and 11th conectors to force it from 8x AGP to 4x AGP then use remote desktop from another computer to look at the screen while i was flashing it. then it worked perfectly. updated ATI Displays to 4.4.2 perfect. updated with the october 2004 ROM (which uses a 64kb eeprom, no longer a 128kb one) and now have the greatest card :D.

Disko
6th December 2004, 11:12 PM
interesting... a project for the weekend perhaps... ;)

iSlayer
7th December 2004, 07:10 AM
nice job.
i would have done the same but i need ADC.
my 256mb Radeon 9800 SE mac edition only cost $450
Has anyone tried flashing a 5200.
ive heard it can be done but most people seem to stay away from them.

titan44
7th December 2004, 07:40 AM
Hang on i've missed something here, have ati relesed a cut down rom for 9800's ????

iSlayer
7th December 2004, 07:46 AM
nope but other people have :)
the best place for roms is cubeowner.com
they have a good collection with some good tutorials.

sprinter
31st January 2005, 05:59 PM
I have put together a general guide of Mac graphics cards. Read it here (http://www40.brinkster.com/sprintersclub/macgraphicscards.html).

It is a general guide as it gives a general idea of the capability of the different graphics chips than testing the performance of a particular card.

I don't have a Geforce 3, 4 MX or 4 Ti but I think they give quite better graphics than the Geforce 2 MX in Halo.

Byrd
4th February 2005, 10:33 PM
Thanks sprinter, interesting read. Geforce 3/Radeon 8500 cards are dropping in price markedly now - have seen some on OCAU for $50!

JB

xiaubauu
11th February 2005, 02:54 PM
Can anyone tell me how to flash a PC version Radeon 9600 to be used in a Mac? Is there a download for the flash?

Rayd
11th February 2005, 02:56 PM
the 9600 is not currently flashable to mac, however the 9200 and 9800 PRO are.. :)

iSlayer
11th February 2005, 02:56 PM
9600 is flashable its just not as easy

kim jong il
11th February 2005, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by islayer@Feb 11 2005, 03:56 PM
9600 is flashable its just not as easy
islayer is correct on this one. It requires (can require) hardware modification. (you will never be able to sell the card once you have completed it) You can find the instructions here (http://www.techseekers.net/modules.php?name=Reviews&rop=showcontent&id=71) in this Irish tech forum. It's a really informative article and well worth a read.

cheers

EDIT: added 'can require'

Rayd
11th February 2005, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by kim jong il@Feb 11 2005, 04:19 PM
islayer is correct on this one. It requires (can require) hardware modification. (you will never be able to sell the card once you have completed it) You can find the instructions here (http://www.techseekers.net/modules.php?name=Reviews&rop=showcontent&id=71) in this Irish tech forum. It's a really informative article and well worth a read.

cheers

EDIT: added 'can require'
actually that link is to make the G5 version of the 9600 work in a G4 powermac... so... i think that it is still impossible (at this time) to flash a PC version...

iSlayer
11th February 2005, 04:42 PM
9600 is flashable
just requires some soldering sine the rom isnt the same size on the mac version

Edge
11th February 2005, 05:17 PM
I've not seen any reports of successful flashing of a 9600. Where has it been done?

kim jong il
11th February 2005, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by ipod_man@Feb 11 2005, 05:31 PM
actually that link is to make the G5 version of the 9600 work in a G4 powermac... so... i think that it is still impossible (at this time) to flash a PC version...
My bad. I was reading the thread and remembered I had been reading about ATI 9600's and dredged up the link. Maybe you can then try this link to strangedogs (http://strangedogs.proboards40.com/index.cgi?board=experiments&action=display&num=1104811724) which is a 6 page discussion of the issues faced with flashing a 9600 to work on a mac. (haven't finished reading it however as I don't have a 9600 and it was not an issue before now)

cheers

Rayd
11th February 2005, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by islayer@Feb 11 2005, 05:42 PM
9600 is flashable
just requires some soldering sine the rom isnt the same size on the mac version
iSlayer i belive that you are incorrect... the rom that you are talking about is the eeprom. the mac rom used to be 128kb while the PC rom is 64kb. some cards used the 128rom and some used the 64kb rom... even if it had a 64kb rom it should stilll have had worked, anyway now the ati roms for apple are 64kb's but before that sprinter created "small" rom files which contain all nececary files for it to work just it was 64kb (so that it could fit on a PC based card) even with this the card still didnt work when a flash was attempted, people have tried soldering a new eeprom to it but still hasnt worked, the card is not flashable as of yet.

kim jong il
12th February 2005, 01:36 PM
ipod_man. As you posted 1.5 hours after me I can only assume (not only did you not read the entire thread at strangedogs but... ) you are now falling into the trap of posting your beliefs as facts, dismissing contradictory ideas (yes, I'm a sinner too) without actually properly reading or interpreting what others have said. If you had followed the link and read page 5 you would have read the the post at the top of the page 9600 XT "WORKS FLAWLESSLY IN MY DP800 SINCE FLASHING" (the link in my post above)

What it seems to boil down to is that only certain cards are flashable and generic cards that utilise slightly different chipsets from the original (OEM) probably are not. So it may not be a good card to try but it can be done the same way the geforce4 MX440 can. Not many people have been successful but it HAS BEEN DONE.

cheers

Rayd
12th February 2005, 02:54 PM
well there you are ... 1 in a million :P (kidding)

Currawong
12th February 2005, 03:02 PM
Topics merged - please use the pinned topic for all card flashing discussion.

grorr76
6th March 2005, 08:02 PM
If one was to upgrade there video card from a geforce 5200 to something with a bit more grunt, what would you sugest as a ggood replacement to run with final cut pro, nothing to pricey. and also wheres a good place to purchase online mac video cards..
cheers

titan44
6th March 2005, 08:25 PM
If you HAD the coin, i'd get one of those X800's, very nice. However if you don't mind getting your hands dirty I don't think you can beat a flashed 9800 for back/buck. from memory i don't think FCP taps into the Graphics card like Motion ( i.e any sort of core video ) But no doubt you'll see a speed bump when tiger is released.

Rayd
6th March 2005, 08:27 PM
hehe defanitly go for a 9800 PRO, if you want to save yourself about 150 - 250$ go for flashing a 9800 PRO (like i did) very easy and works great!

jastormont
17th March 2005, 01:14 PM
Hi guys,

I am very new to Apple systems and after playing around with my Grandmothers Apple I decided to buy 1 (I came from the darkside :) Microsoft).

I bought a brand new Powermac Dual 1.8 (first series with the 512 Ram and 160 gig HDD) from David Jones and I must say I love it. One thing I am looking at upgrading in it is the video card. I have the Nvidia FX 5200 Ultra but am looking at a better card.

I have a ATI 9700 non pro video card from my PC and was wondering if it can be flashed. Iknow there are some links to this but not my actuall card. Also I am thinking of buying a new card and see that I can get them quite cheap in the USA. If I bough a card from the USA will it work in my Powermac here, I was looking at the Geforce 6800 GT or a ATI.

Cheers...

(also you guys know of some really good Apple websites out there other then this 1 :) )

titan44
17th March 2005, 03:06 PM
Yeah, an imported one will work i'd go with the X800 rather than the 6800, but i've said it before and i'll say it again, bang for buck, you can't go past a flashed 9800.

Edge
17th March 2005, 03:58 PM
I agree with Titan.

Some 9700s can be flashed, but it is easier to go the 9800 flash route. Or a Mac 9800 can be had for US$219 from OWC. (http://macsales.com)

If money is no object, then go for the x800 (or the 6800 Ultra if you need to run two 30" screens.)

Rayd
17th March 2005, 04:30 PM
im using a flashed 9800 pro.. LOVE IT! :D :D

jastormont
17th March 2005, 10:02 PM
How hard is it to flash these cards?

I have a X800 pro in my PC (although I am thinking oselling this as I now have my mac ;) ).

Are the ATI better supported on the Mac platform then Nvidia?

Reason I ask this is that I heard that all Nvidia cards are made my apple themselves and that ATI actually work wit apple to do there cards.

And is that the best and most reliable place to purchase one of these cards in the USA?

Lots of questions but lots to consider..... :)

Cheers....

titan44
17th March 2005, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by jastormont@Mar 17 2005, 10:02 PM
How hard is it to flash these cards?

I have a X800 pro in my PC (although I am thinking oselling this as I now have my mac ;) ).

Are the ATI better supported on the Mac platform then Nvidia?

Reason I ask this is that I heard that all Nvidia cards are made my apple themselves and that ATI actually work wit apple to do there cards.

And is that the best and most reliable place to purchase one of these cards in the USA?

Lots of questions but lots to consider..... :)

Cheers....
It's dead easy, mosy on over to cubeowner.com for all your flashing needs.

As for which is better ATI or Nvidia, personallly i prefer ATi, but head over to xlr8yourmac.com for some user feedback.

You can grab a pc 9800 in oz, i used a powercolor 9800pro, but others willl work. Otherwise macsales.com has some good pricing. Many here have bought thru them and are reliable.

Edge
17th March 2005, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by titan44@Mar 17 2005, 10:18 PM
It's dead easy, mosy on over to cubeowner.com for all your flashing needs.
Cubeowner is only intended as a resource for Cube owners. You will find a how-to guide by Sprinter, but your questions may not be answered (unless of course, you own a Cube.) Instead, head over to Strangedogs.com (http://Strangedogs.com), the forum dedicated to Mac flashing.

jastormont
18th March 2005, 05:57 AM
Thanks guys this has given me a few ideas.

Looking at those forums I do not think I will worry about my 9700 and will sell it to finance the another card.

It looks like the most success is with the 9800 series cards.

If I was to look at 1 which 1 should I get that will flash well?

I am a bit divious though to spend $$$$ one of these cards and to have the flash not work. In saying this if I can get 1 cheap and that I can get it to work I would try it.

g4cube
18th March 2005, 05:22 PM
Does anyone know if the 9800 pro will fit and work in my GIGABIT ETHERNET it has i believe a 2xAGP slot, Also does it support core graphics that is in tiger?

titan44
18th March 2005, 06:16 PM
They will fit in a cube which is 2x AGP, so i'd be very confident in putting one in a gigabit.

Rayd
18th March 2005, 06:46 PM
it does fit in a Cube and does support 2x, but you will need to do the "tape mod" which is just 2 bits of tiny normal clear tape! :D

Fear
18th March 2005, 08:22 PM
Some one correct me if i am wrong here but flashing pc cards can be done for cubes / g4's.

but as far as a g5 goes they use 5v agp pro slot, agp 8x cards are 1.5v, 4x cards are 3.3v and 2x cards are 5v...

this will surely fry the agp card in a g5, possibly damaging logic board also?

EDIT : Found a spec sheet on agp pro slots, seems it is compatible with 2x / 4x / 8x.
But there is a issue still with first portion of the agp pro slot.
Thats what i was getting at been a while since dug up agp spec's.
Agp Pro Specification PDF (http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/vectors/2003_agp8x.pdf)

Rayd
18th March 2005, 08:56 PM
no i dont think so... the AGP slot will just lower the voltage to suit the card...

Fear
22nd March 2005, 03:03 PM
Looks like 5200 non ultra's will be a possibility soon, been following strange dogs forums ,even 5200 64bit ram cards have been done witch are quite common at the moment.

This is really good news for poeple that want a cheap tiger core image card, on that note i really hope they get a 5200 pci running give biege / bw / g4 pci owners core image support also.

Might invest in a 5200 pci see if can hex edit the rom to get it working in my blue and white replace the crapy 7000 :P

Byrd
23rd March 2005, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Fear@Mar 22 2005, 03:03 PM
I really hope they get a 5200 pci running give biege / bw / g4 pci owners core image support also.
I couldn't imagine Core Image working at all on PCI cards - just like the hack for PCI cards to run Quartz Extreme, the PCI bus is a very tight bottleneck for pumping data through. Core Image places greater dependance on the GPU than Quartz Extreme does - you'll need at least an AGP card for it to be usable!

JB

Fear
23rd March 2005, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Byrd@Mar 23 2005, 09:16 AM
just like the hack for PCI cards to run Quartz Extreme

JB
Well the 66mhz slot on a bw is technically same as agp 1x in terms of speed and the quartz extreme hack runs very nice, limted to 10.3.6 however.

Byrd
23rd March 2005, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Fear@Mar 23 2005, 01:15 PM
Well the 66mhz slot on a bw is technically same as agp 1x in terms of speed and the quartz extreme hack runs very nice, limted to 10.3.6 however.
Really? Thought you needed a compatible, relatively rare 66Mhz PCI card (eg. RAID, SCSI) card to use this speed, otherwise all other cards in the first B&W PCI slot are treated as 33Mhz. Recall reading something on XLR8yourmac however which said it does improve performance on a 33Mhz bus PCI video card, but only in the order of around ~ 10%.

Hope I don't sound critical above BTW :) I've used the Quartz Extreme hack like yourself for some time now, on a Radeon 7000 (overclocked using ATIcellerator II which also helps). It makes the UI much more responsive on a lowly G3 like my B&W, it does choke with video playback - I can't do much else when playing a DivX or something like that - but definately an improvement over 'classic' Quartz rendering.

JB

Fear
24th March 2005, 03:18 AM
i thought that the universal pci 2.2 33/66mhz (they have 2 notches in them) where quite common, all most every new pc pci video card ive seen has this.

also seen lots of sata pci cards that have 2 slots cut out into them again universal 33/66mhz.

hell i even have a dec de500 *intel 2140* ethernet card here that is over 5 years old thats pci 66mhz also.

so i dont think they are that rare now, sure your not thinking of the 64bit pci 66 mhz slots? :P

titan44
24th March 2005, 06:47 AM
Does anyone have anymore info on the successful flashing/mod of the X800?

Fear
24th March 2005, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by titan44@Mar 24 2005, 06:47 AM
Does anyone have anymore info on the successful flashing/mod of the X800?
aprently its been done but no dvi unless you have a firegl card that has dual link dvi TMDS chip on it..

titan44
24th March 2005, 08:37 AM
Anymore info?, does it require any hardware mod? what card was used?, i found the info on it a bit scant ( i lack the Kudos to get into the private forums over @ strangedogs )

Fear
24th March 2005, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by titan44@Mar 24 2005, 08:37 AM
Anymore info?, does it require any hardware mod? what card was used?, i found the info on it a bit scant ( i lack the Kudos to get into the private forums over @ strangedogs )
i dont know more then you do mate, maybe if sprinter care to comment about it? :)
tho i dont think its worth on getting a firegl card and flashing it to mac as they are professinal 3d cad cards and probably cost a hell of a lot more then a x800 mac version.

If you can live with a x800 with just vga and no dvi then i think a stock x800XT 256bit card can be flashed, not sure what core it uses i dare to say its the R420.

But the problem exists with no dvi so if you got a apple cinema display thats dvi then you be better off getting a apple x800 card.

Also lack of the x800 mac rom is also a problem :P

xiaubauu
24th March 2005, 07:52 PM
Hi, can anyone point me to any flashing software/ROM to flash a PC 9800 Pro to a Mac Card? Thank you.

Rayd
24th March 2005, 08:04 PM
http://www.cubeowner.com/forums//index.php?showtopic=8804

sprinter
26th March 2005, 05:36 PM
Flashing a Radeon X800 to the Mac is really complicated. I have the Mac X800XT ROM file but I am not allowed to give it out. :P Because of the high cost of PC Radeon X800 cards, I have no reason to flash one.

I recently made two Powercolor Radeon cards, a 9200 non-se and a 9250, to work well on the Mac (with the help of someone). Flashing a 9600XT 128MB may be something I could try next, but as I already have a 9800 Pro, I probably have no need of flashing it. I can do it for someone who want one though. A X800 is too much for my Mac.

Fear
26th March 2005, 06:31 PM
Sprinter: have you had any sucess with 9250 pci cards?

sprinter
26th March 2005, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Fear@Mar 26 2005, 06:31 PM
Sprinter: have you had any sucess with 9250 pci cards?
I haven't try flashing any, but I think the Powercolor 9250 128MB PCI should work (but will have 64MB on the Mac, no OS 9 acceleration).

Seanus
4th April 2005, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by ipod_man@Mar 6 2005, 09:27 PM
hehe defanitly go for a 9800 PRO, if you want to save yourself about 150 - 250$ go for flashing a 9800 PRO (like i did) very easy and works great!
When you say "Flashing" the 9800 Pro I take it your referring to the PC version of this card?
I too want something with a bit more grunt. Ridiculous that Apple should supply only a 64 meg card in their top of the line machines. Bought a refurbished G5 so had no build to order option :-(
What I do need though is an ADC connector as I have an Apple Cinema display. Or with all the money I save getting the PC version could I put it to a DVI to ADC adapter? $160?

thanks

Kreats
4th April 2005, 11:47 PM
$345 for a 128Mb AGP 9800 Pro at MSY.

PCI-E is very quickly replacing AGP in PC stores (AGP cards already are starting to have a premium attached), so I'd probably grab one while you can. Makes you wonder if PCI-E will be a part of the bump for the new g5 powermacs?

osxuser
5th April 2005, 07:12 PM
Actually nvidia 6800 ultra is faster than x800 in most of the games and apps.

Atomic
5th April 2005, 08:39 PM
The only reason I would buy an X800 is because it's half the size and you dont lose a PCI slot (which I value highly). nVidia must be kidding with their behemoth. Okay it might be a tad quicker but at those speeds, who really cares?

Back to topic - By far the cheapest option is to flash a PC version Radeon 9800Pro but if you're not up to it and want to buy from the US there are many places available.

Provantage ATi 9800 (http://www.provantage.com/buy-7ATIT41N-radeon-9800-pro-se-256mb-agp-mac-ati-technologies-100-435057-shopping.htm)
Provantage X800 (on backorder) (http://www.provantage.com/buy-7ATIT42J-radeon-x800-xt-mac-ati-technologies-100-435317-shopping.htm)
OWC Graphics cards (http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/video/hardware/)
Sparco.com (http://www.sparco.com/cgi-bin/wfind2?spn=A95D085)

osxuser
5th April 2005, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Atomic@Apr 5 2005, 08:39 PM
The only reason I would buy an X800 is because it's half the size and you dont lose a PCI slot (which I value highly). nVidia must be kidding with their behemoth. Okay it might be a tad quicker but at those speeds, who really cares?

Back to topic - By far the cheapest option is to flash a PC version Radeon 9800Pro but if you're not up to it and want to buy from the US there are many places available.
yeah 6800 ultra is not that much faster but it has 2 DVI ports as well. By the way any ideas how long it'll take for stuff to arrive from USA? And is it reliable? thanks

Maticks
6th April 2005, 12:43 AM
does anyone know where to get an X800 Mac Edition in Australia or even oversea's.
Apparently they are a bit cheaper then an nvidia 6800 and only take up one pci slot.

The other question is if anyone knows a place with a realistic price i know that some places have video cards for excessive amounts like macmall has video cards at $900 that epowermac has for $500.
I cant seem to even find a place that is selling these video cards.

I would get an 6800 but im not seeing the value for $950 especially to boost game play, but i like to make big jumps which is why i didnt want to go to the 9800 Pro.

Rayd
6th April 2005, 12:49 AM
i say get a PC 9800 pro and flash it! :D (i picked up one for $260) works great!

Atomic
6th April 2005, 02:23 AM
I would estimate delivery between 7-14 days if they have the product in stock. Bigger name online stores like the ones I recommended are very safe. The things that delay delivery is our customs control. Sometimes it takes time to pass through their hands and apply the relevant duties and taxes (if applicable).

Currawong
6th April 2005, 08:03 AM
Merged 3 topics into one :)

Maticks
6th April 2005, 08:44 AM
when buying a 9800 i noticed thier are pro's and xt's which one is better to get and can you flash the xt.
obviously thier are different cards some have 128mb some have 256mb which is flashes no doubt an image is build for a certain model spec card.

Opi
6th April 2005, 09:00 AM
I recently made two Powercolor Radeon cards, a 9200 non-se and a 9250,

I got cheep 9250 card , but with 64k rom. Can some body send me reduced rom for this card eg. for 9200. Any help welcome.
Thanks

solagratia1600
8th April 2005, 12:52 AM
Hi all,

I am looking into upgrading my graphic card, and I found this topic forum. Cool. I wonder why is it so hard to buy mac graphic card in Australia? As for macsales.com (OWC), it is an US site. To my knowledge, when we order hardware from US, we usually get taxed by the time tha package enters Australia. Will the price still be worth it? The other issue is, why apple hasn't offer x800 ATI card on their store options?

Can anyone of you share your experience of buying graphic card from online stores from US?

cheers
solagratia1600

jobe
8th April 2005, 01:40 AM
Hi jastormont. I don't want to be a pain in the arse, but all you're questions have been asked and answered in the two sticky threads at the top of this form here for flashing (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=123) and (this thread) for video card advice. so I'm going to merge it into the more apropriate one (I hope).

More specifically this thread (http://www.cubeowner.com/forums//index.php?showtopic=8804) at cube owners. It outlines a number of method to flash different cards. There is a mac ROM available for the 9700 in this package (http://cubeowner.com/kbase/admin/attach/265-Small_Radeon_9xxx_Mac_ROMS.zip) (linked to in the cuber owners forum under the PC method). However from what I've read it's untested. If you want to keep on the safe side, it might be best to look into getting a 9800pro. They can be picked up for sub $300 and often substantially cheaper and the ROM in the package I linked to above has been tested and works.

Rayd
8th April 2005, 02:46 AM
just to clear up some stuff, the Cube does support the 9800 with tape mod, just beware that the 9800 with the black PCB is not to be used in a cube. it works fine in powermac G4 towers (with 4x agp)

sprinter
10th April 2005, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by Opi@Apr 6 2005, 09:00 AM

I got cheep 9250 card , but with 64k rom. Can some body send me reduced rom for this card eg. for 9200. Any help welcome.
Thanks
What's the brand and model of the card? For about all Radeon 92x0 cards available in Australia, it is NOT as simple as flashing a Mac Radeon 9200 ROM file (full or reduced) into them and they work.

bonsai
10th April 2005, 04:59 PM
Has anyone had any solid luck in flashing a FX5200? Ive been following the guides on strangedogs.com however, there's a problem with their site and I can't actually register.

There have been a few people with the correctly modified fx roms lurking around, but I have not as of yet been able to catch one of them! *goes and finds a bigger net*.

If anyone has had any luck here, would they mind emailing me thier flashrom that they used?

My email is bonsai-at-littlevampirebites-.-com

Thanks!

sprinter
13th April 2005, 09:18 PM
I finally have success with a Geforce FX 5200 128MB 128-bit non-ultra tonight.

The card uses the reference design and uses TSOP RAM.

The ROM file I used was a ROM file for the 128-bit non-ultra modified from the Mac GFX 5200 ultra ROM file. I asked someone for this file (haven't keep track of the changes needed to be done). He also gave me a file for the 64-bit cards.

The card has a DVI port, and using a DVI-VGA adapter, it does work. But I am not sure if the DVI port works with a real DVI monitor. System Profiler shows 128MB.

Performance wise, it seems to be a bit slower than a Radeon 9200 but I don't if it's really so. Quake III timedemo gave about the same score as a Radeon 9200 128MB. Halo looks much better with this card than with a Radeon 9200 and earlier. The GFX 5200 gives Halo the same sort of look as a Radeon 9600 and later.

About all of the GFX 5200 available in Australia are GFX 5200 64-bit non-ultra. If you are thinking of trying to flash one, look for one that uses the reference design.

Fear
16th April 2005, 04:02 AM
In the process of trying to get a Palit Fx5200 pci running, but alais need osx 10.2 only have 10.1 / 10.3 witch are useless have to get my sisters copy of 10.2 on monday, but the card i got is a 128bit version.
Pic (http://img213.echo.cx/my.php?image=palitfx52002gc.jpg)

Tho its got 6ns ram witch limits me to 333 speeds still at 128 bit sould be lot faster then then a 64 bit version, also sprinter ive seen couple of 128 bit agp cards in brissy for like $89 pm me for the details :)

ill report back if i have any success, might give aging g3/g4 pci systems tiger core image support :D

EDIT: Whoohoo i have a working 5200 pci in my blue and white, was a pain in the butt to flash had to do it on my amd 64 box with gigabytes fx 5200 flash util and speeds aint to good either 240 core / 183 mem working on 10.3 no open gl tho hence need 10.2, need to adjust the ram timings/straps i think.

sprinter
21st April 2005, 07:35 AM
I flashed a Geforce 3 64MB AGP yesterday and it has Pixel Shaders under OS X 10.3.x. So it provides both Vertex and Pixel Shaders, and it gives Halo the same look as that given by Geforce FX 5200 and Radeon 9600 and later. (Radeon 9200 and earlier only provide Vertex Shaders in Halo, which makes the game doesn't look as good.)

WildPalms
24th April 2005, 02:41 AM
jastormont

....i have a Apple 9600 Pro Mac card and an Apple 5200 Pro if you want an original Mac card.

...I recently purchased a 9800 XT 256 for my G5.

larfinboy
26th April 2005, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Atomic@Apr 5 2005, 08:39 PM

Has anyone heard if Apple plan to release an X800 for the G5 ?
I'm looking at upgrading but I had heard a rumour that Apple is going to offer the X800 when they speed bump the G5... :huh:

jobe
26th April 2005, 03:46 PM
there has been an X800 mac version for a while but I cannot find it on the Apple AU store. Here is (http://hotdeals.apple.com/) a link to one on the Apple US site. or Click here (http://www.clubmac.com/clubmac/shop/detail.asp?source=CWBAPPLE&store=clubmac&dpno=185580&adcampaign=email,CWBAPPLE) for the direct linky

macanyday
4th May 2005, 07:09 PM
Can anyone tell me where would be the cheapest and best place to but either a flashed 9800 or if it has been done yet a 6800 in Sydney or if need be Australia?

My G5 has the 5200 and I want to upgrade a few things without the expense of a new Mac this one is great just need a touch more grunt for now. I run dual monitors 21" Mitsubishi Diamond Pro and a 15" Diamond view for Print Graphics.

macanyday
4th May 2005, 08:16 PM
will a 128mb make a big difference on my G5 original 1.8ghz/1.5gb ram. I want a minor upgrade so adding another 1gb of ram + the FX 5200 128mb should be a nice leap, or should I be smart and get the 9800? One thing Iíve learnít in life is you get what you pay for.

mac_man_luke
4th May 2005, 08:26 PM
Your current 5200 is an ultra version so it is better, you would be better off with the 9800pro

Byrd
14th May 2005, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by macanyday@May 4 2005, 08:16 PM
will a 128mb make a big difference on my G5 original 1.8ghz/1.5gb ram. I want a minor upgrade so adding another 1gb of ram + the FX 5200 128mb should be a nice leap, or should I be smart and get the 9800? One thing Iíve learnít in life is you get what you pay for.
Hi macanyday,

If your budget can stretch (perhaps, with 1GB DDR400 RAM modules being so cheap right now), go for a Radeon 9800. A nVidia 5200 is the lowliest, minimum card required for Tiger's core image acceleration, and you'd notice a nice UI boost with a better graphics card.

Bonsai in the forums can fix up you with a PC flashed 9800, see this thread. (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=6771)

JB

KELVIN
12th June 2005, 01:21 PM
Could't find any reasonably priced 9800pro with 8 pipelines and 256mb ram...

So I bought an 9800Xt instead (128mb) (with copper heatpipe)... after looking at the various forums.. thought I made a big mistake.. (needed soldering)..

Flashed it anyway on a PC with reduced ROM.. (9800PRO 128 rom)

Put it in my New G5 ---- It looks like it works...!
Not bad for $250... will need more detailed testing.

The card is very noisey though....

Update....
It works with the standard Mac 9800PRO rom (non reduced) no other mods..
It doesn't work prorperly with the Mac 9800XT 256mb bios..
ATIcceerator refuses to flash the card...
Flashing was all done on a PC...
Vdieocard fan is a bit noisey (I don't know if the fan controls work on the MAC bios)..

blackandblue
29th June 2005, 08:47 PM
just flashed a geforce fx 5200. its a 64bit one. works no problems now. Been enjoying halo and other games on it. System profiler recognises it as having 128mb of ram, its coreimage and quartz extreme supported too. Dont know if DVI works or not as i dont have a DVI monitor, but so far best $50 ive spent on this mac. My quicktooth just got better

Edge
30th June 2005, 03:43 AM
Is it a low profile card with DVI on the bottom? It is easier to get the bottom DVI ports on the low-profile cards to work than the top ports on the bigger cards. The top ports require a special ROM with inverted DDC channels, which is not widely available.

Joe
1st July 2005, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Byrd@Oct 2 2004, 09:02 PM
Thanks Gothikon.

The ROM update works fine on my PC flashed PCI Radeon 7000.

The ATI software ... seemed fine, until I tried fiddling with some of the refresh rate, TV and resolution settings of the software. It froze, I rebooted, and then only detected 16MB of VRAM on the card.

The machine became really unstable at this point, and I had to delete the ATI preferences, then reinstall the software.

Didn't touch much more after that = all stable again :D

JB
Thanks alot for all the info on converting the cards. It's much apperciated.

I'm wondering if anyone still has a copy of the Radeon 7000 Full 128k ROM.

I've searched through all the forums and links here and on cubeowner and have been unable to locate a copy of this ROM.

I already have all the other stuff as well as a heap of the other roms but the one I need. It seems from the posts that I have read, that with a PCI card, the only people who have been able to sucessfully get their card working have been using this ROM.

The Rom File will probably be called, M208FULL.ROM

The newer Radeon Oct 2004 updater will not recognise the mac7k.bin internediary rom that comes with the kit as it was designed specifically for the older ATI 208 updater, which is no longer available from the ATI Download Site.

If you have an old copy lying around, please post it or email it to me.

Thanks,

-Joe-B^)

KELVIN
1st July 2005, 11:41 PM
All of the newer PC to Mac videocards information is now found generally in www.strangedogs.com...

They also have a downlaods section... Hopefully what you are looking for is there

blackandblue
3rd July 2005, 04:17 PM
edge: yeah it is, the vga port is at the top connected through a ribbon. I'll go past home some time and try the dvi on our plasma and see if it works. If it does ill buy a dvi-vga adaptor and have some dual screen things going on.

Amsterdamned
4th July 2005, 05:51 PM
A friend has a 9800 Pro 128mb OEM card for sale for $50. Thought it might be a good way to try the flashing game! Will it fit in my G4 733? This R9000 sucks!

Thanks.

KieranMc
20th August 2005, 04:48 PM
Howdy

Just wondering if anyone can help me:

I've just flashed a 128Mb ATI 9800Pro for my G4 MDD with no apparent problems (excellent instructions...). However on boot I get the blue screen and it fails to continue. I've started up in safe mode and installed the ATI August update, but the same screen appears. Boots ok in safe mode. I've flashed it into both the 64K and 128K variants per the postings here. System preferences recognises the card as an ATI 9800Pro. I've removed all my startup items. Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

Edge
20th August 2005, 05:38 PM
Have you reset the NVRAM? Have you got the latest version of the ATI displays software installed? (This is seperate from the August ROM update, which contains the version 130 ROM for the 9800 and a new version of the ATI ROMextender.)

KieranMc
21st August 2005, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the quick reply... tried your ideas but still no change. Starting to annoy me now....

I'm running a newly installed Tiger 10.4.2, with a Dell 24 inch monitor (nice!).

Rayd
21st August 2005, 11:45 AM
have you tried the card in a diferent computer? maybe its a computer problem
also try reset PRAM

KieranMc
21st August 2005, 12:30 PM
All of my friends have PC's (unfortunately - for them!) so can't try another machine. I suppose I could flash it back to PC to ensure the card actually works. Frustrating as it safe boots quite happily and the 'puter recognises it.

Must admit I've been having a couple of issues with the box recently - the main power button on the box doesn't always turn it on first time - often have to remove the power cable a few times and bang on the button. Up until now I've always used the power button on my apple monitor, which I now don't have since getting the Dell.

Tried resetting the PRAM...

Oh well.... I'll keep playing. Any other tips gratefully accepted...

decryption
29th August 2005, 07:33 PM
Anyone seen the 256MB Radeon 9800 Pro AGP cards at MSY for only $160? I'd love to see how/if they can be flashed. I sent MSY an email asking for a brand. Hopefully then I can get some more detail..

Edge
29th August 2005, 07:40 PM
$160? Wow, that's cheap.

The brand is most likely Smart VGA. If so, they are a reference board design and should have no problem working with the reduced 130 ROM.

Meanwhile, checkthis chart (http://web.fastermac.net/~packisback/strangedogs/fbg/9800.html) from the guys at Strangedogs.com.

decryption
31st August 2005, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Edge@Aug 29 2005, 07:40 PM
$160? Wow, that's cheap.

The brand is most likely Smart VGA. If so, they are a reference board design and should have no problem working with the reduced 130 ROM.

Meanwhile, checkthis chart (http://web.fastermac.net/~packisback/strangedogs/fbg/9800.html) from the guys at Strangedogs.com.
I emailed MSY and it is indeed Smart VGA.
When I get my PowerMac I'll give flashing it a shot :)

estoyloco
7th September 2005, 09:51 AM
Hi all.. i basically know nothing about graphics cards. I was wondering what the best option for me would be to upgrade my G5 with 5200 standard card in there 64MB.

I just want something cheap that will be better. I DONT PLAY ANY GAMES WHAT SO EVER! and never will. I was just hoping to get a boost in performance for video editing and photomanipulation. I have been told and sort of gather that perhaps the graphics card doesnt neccisarily boost performance rathr it just makes things look prettier. I searched around and it seems that people dont really know? (or dont talk about this)

whats the deal?
Should i just get more RAM? I already have 2GB with 4 slots spare. I dont feel that its slow in that respect but i dont want to just add advancements to one section if it could be more efficient to tend to a graphics card.

Anyhelp either posted here or PM'ed would greatlybe appreciated. Currently i have a ATI Radeon 9600 Pro offered to me. Just want to know if there is something better around the $100 mark.

Again i dont need it to RUN 3D VIRTUAL REALITY games. Just some photoshop, Final cut and a 23" HD display.

If there is a page that anyone knows of that i can read up on about what performance is effected etc through graphics cards then that would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.
PS: if there is someone in Melb that can flash me say a new graphics card (if thats all the rage right now) then i could give them a bottle of whiskey for their trouble!

Edge
7th September 2005, 05:24 PM
I can flash a card for you, if you buy it and bring it over.

$160 for a 9800 is easily the best bang for buck. Only disadvantage over the 9600 (which is not as fast) is the noise of the fan. A 9800 will add a little to the overall fan noise of the G5. 9600 is silent.

As for performance, you will notice a difference in the overall speed of OS X, especially with the 23". At lower resolutions it is not as noticeable. Windows redraw faster and everything seems snappier. This is subjective, though.

Rayd
7th September 2005, 06:11 PM
its a 256mb, which means its most likely a 128bit card... this will not work... you have to makes sure that it is a 256bit card...

Edge
7th September 2005, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by ipod_man@Sep 7 2005, 06:11 PM
its a 256mb, which means its most likely a 128bit card...
The number of memory chips determines the bandwidth, not the memory size.

If you find a 256MB card with 16 memory chips total, the 9800 ROM will only 'see' 128MB. The reference design 9800 (which Smart VGA use) has 8 memory chips and should flash OK.

ipod_man, if you have some evidence to support your statement that this will not work, please let us know.

KELVIN
10th September 2005, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Edge@Sep 7 2005, 09:03 PM
The number of memory chips determines the bandwidth, not the memory size.

If you find a 256MB card with 16 memory chips total, the 9800 ROM will only 'see' 128MB. The reference design 9800 (which Smart VGA use) has 8 memory chips and should flash OK.

ipod_man, if you have some evidence to support your statement that this will not work, please let us know.
Unfortunately ipod_man is right...

I've physically examined quite a few of boxes of the Smartvga 9800pros at MSY

They come in three basic configurations
9800pro 128mb 256bit 8 pipielines (no longer available)
9800pro 256mb 128bit 8 pipelines
9800se 256mb 128bit, 4 pipelines

The reference PC design for a 9800pro 256mb, 256bit, 8 pipelines calls for the use of ddr2 ram, making unsuitable for conversion to mac...

The Clayton Store no longer stocks the 9800pro 128mb 256bit version.. I checked yesterday

On the PC side of things... there here been quite lot of problems with the Smart VGA 9800PROs.. people getting 128bits.. and unclocked cards,... multiple failures.. On the plus side... many people have been getting R360 cores....

I have yet to see a single report of success of converting this card to Mac... (but I haven't read about anybody attempting it)

Reports from www.strangedogs.com... show multiple people now having difficulties with flashing 9800pros.. notably the ROM chips are changing on quite a number of cards...
http://strangedogs.proboards40.com/index.c...read=1125614103 (http://strangedogs.proboards40.com/index.cgi?board=experiments&action=display&thread=1125614103)

Ive been keeping a close eye for 9800pros in Melbourne... very few cheap cards are available.. many PC shops no longer stock the card because such poor value for money...... most cheap 9800pros are 128bit cards.. or 9800SEs when you examine them...

Rayd
10th September 2005, 08:03 PM
thanks KELVIN for saving me of writing up that whole thing :D champ hehe

KELVIN
22nd September 2005, 11:08 PM
Guess what the quietest 9800pro is?

....HIS Excalibur 9800pro with Factory (stock) Artic silencer cooling....

Guess what 9800pro doesn't fit inside a powermac G5....

... HIS Excalibur 9800pro with Artic silencer...

Guess which 9800pro I just bought...

See above....

Lesson... this card will be useless in a Powermac G5... unless the cooling is removed...

P.S. Didn' even bother trying to flash it.. seeing it wouldn't physically fit inside....

neilrobinson
22nd September 2005, 11:14 PM
hmmm... how much was it? :huh:

if you cant return it drop me a PM

neil

enigmatic
27th October 2005, 12:25 PM
I'm considering getting a 9800 Pro and flashing it to go in my G5. Question is, what do I buy and where from?

I've looked on Staticice and they list:

$146.99 XpertVision ATI Radeon 9800PRO 256MB 128-bit DDR
$147.70 AGP (ATI) - XpertVision ATI Radeon 9800PRO 256MB 128-bit DDR
$179.00 ATI Radeon 9800PRO VGA 256Mb DDR 8X AGP DVI TV Out
$189.00 VC ATI RADEON 9800 PRO/256MB/TV/DVI
$199.00 Xtreama ATI RADEON 9800 PRO 128meg TV / DVI
$215.00 POWERCOLOR ATI Radeon 9800Pro 128meg DDR with TV and DVI out
$230.00 MSI ATi Radeon RX9800PRO-TD 128MB AGP Video Card w/ TV-Out, DVI
$349.00 GECUBE 128MB Radeon 9800 PRO AGP

I've not heard of some of the brands and was wondering if anyone could help me out?

Cheers,

Chris

KELVIN
27th October 2005, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by enigmatic@Oct 27 2005, 12:25 PM
I'm considering getting a 9800 Pro and flashing it to go in my G5. Question is, what do I buy and where from?

I've looked on Staticice and they list:

$146.99 XpertVision ATI Radeon 9800PRO 256MB 128-bit DDR
$147.70 AGP (ATI) - XpertVision ATI Radeon 9800PRO 256MB 128-bit DDR
$179.00 ATI Radeon 9800PRO VGA 256Mb DDR 8X AGP DVI TV Out
$189.00 VC ATI RADEON 9800 PRO/256MB/TV/DVI
$199.00 Xtreama ATI RADEON 9800 PRO 128meg TV / DVI
$215.00 POWERCOLOR ATI Radeon 9800Pro 128meg DDR with TV and DVI out
$230.00 MSI ATi Radeon RX9800PRO-TD 128MB AGP Video Card w/ TV-Out, DVI
$349.00 GECUBE 128MB Radeon 9800 PRO AGP

I've not heard of some of the brands and was wondering if anyone could help me out?

Cheers,

Chris
You need a card with 256bit (very very important) RAM, 128/256mb ram it deosn't matter and 8 pipelines are very important...

Its basically impossible to find the right card new now... Most new cards around have 128bit interface (basically useless for the Mac)... and some of the 256bit cards have roms unsuitable to flashing....

Someone had problems with the Xtrema 256bit 128mb card... its up to you to take a risk...

have a look at www.strangedogs.com for more info...

Be prepared to have a pc handy for flashing.. and be preapred to have a PC 9800 card only if all goes wrong...
My experience is limited to a Gecube 9800XT which accepts the MAC rom (all 128k of it.. only when flashed in a PC).. but the fan remains at full speed....

I can also tell you that a HIS 9800PRO (with the facory artic cooler) does not physically fit inside a G5 tower).

(Basically I've wasted my time with two cards.. already)...

enigmatic
27th October 2005, 10:32 PM
Kelvin,

Thanks for your post. Sorry to hear you've lost out with two cards.

I'm going to try an see if I can pick up a second hand 9800 Pro by posting in the want to buy section of this site.

I was quoted $480 new when I picked up my iPod earlier today. Seems steep so I'm also looking at buying from the US too.

Cheers,

Chris

doughnut
28th October 2005, 01:22 AM
You'll have to leave some dollars aside for possible Customs fees if importing.

The Customs site has a summary of charges based on the total price of the item.

Buthidae
28th October 2005, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by KELVIN@Oct 27 2005, 10:26 PM
Someone had problems with the Xtrema 256bit 128mb card... its up to you to take a risk...
*waves* :)

Yeah, I tried to flash that card and it went berko! Incidently, if anyone wants to do a ROM swap for me (Aust wide, I'll send it in an Express Satchel, and supply a return one), I'll gladly buy them some beer/etc.

kim jong il
28th October 2005, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by Edge@Aug 29 2005, 07:40 PM
$160? Wow, that's cheap.

Yeah it is cheap but the card is an unflashable piece of crap (on a mac anyway; just my luck I only own macs) and have this $150 ornament that I purchased after reading the quoted post. Felt really clever right up to the point where it does not work. Made me so mad I almost contemplated turning it into two cards (by breaking it half). The MSY ad' is a virtual LIE; they say 256 bit; the anti static bag says 128 bit (the RAM chips suggest 256 bit; so while IT may be capable of 256 bit addressing it seems that the manufacturer has nobbled the card (probably uses crap cheap out of tolerance components. (I was able to dump the PC ROM just fine)

Anyway the flasher just says 'ERROR'

kim

KELVIN
29th October 2005, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by enigmatic@Oct 27 2005, 10:32 PM
Kelvin,

Thanks for your post. Sorry to hear you've lost out with two cards.

I'm going to try an see if I can pick up a second hand 9800 Pro by posting in the want to buy section of this site.

I was quoted $480 new when I picked up my iPod earlier today. Seems steep so I'm also looking at buying from the US too.

Cheers,

Chris
Don't bother putting a request here... you should go to OCAU and request one tehre.. from a PC user instead (who is upgrading)...

I didn't really luck out I guess..
the 9800xt did work... (but fans at full speed) but would NOT flash in a mac (common problem in many newer 9800s... different rom type)... had to flash in a PC..
the 9800PRO His excalibur deosn' phsycially fit... but I could mod it.... (pity to do so to such a nice card... It would probably fit in G4 I guess though...

enigmatic
29th October 2005, 09:03 PM
OK, I'll have a look on that site and see how I go.

I got the price wrong above, I was quoted $580 which is worse. Can't believe the difference between here and the US.

The card is US$249 plus shipping ($50 mail in rebate if you live in the US) so I'd be looking at around $400 and the risk of other charges. I've been lucky in the past getting some items in without GST/duty.

Hurts the pocket a bit when the software I'm interested in also costs $700!

Cheers,

Chris

KELVIN
29th October 2005, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by enigmatic@Oct 29 2005, 09:03 PM
OK, I'll have a look on that site and see how I go.

I got the price wrong above, I was quoted $580 which is worse. Can't believe the difference between here and the US.

The card is US$249 plus shipping ($50 mail in rebate if you live in the US) so I'd be looking at around $400 and the risk of other charges. I've been lucky in the past getting some items in without GST/duty.

Hurts the pocket a bit when the software I'm interested in also costs $700!

Cheers,

Chris
Hmmm...

Just Managed to get the His Excalibur 9800PRO working in my Dual G5 1.8...

I had to modify the artic cooler..

similar to this guide...

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/Graphics/VGA_si...2.html#storytop (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/Graphics/VGA_silencer_install/VGA_silencer_install2.html#storytop)

Also had to move the fan controller on the card (WTF!)..
Flashed the reduced rom on to the card via m PC...

Voila... another 9800PRO... (this time with a silent fan...)..

enigmatic ... Are you in Melbourne... if so.. I may consider getting rid of this card eventually... else its going back into a PC (a little bit of a waste)...

enigmatic
30th October 2005, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by KELVIN@Oct 29 2005, 10:46 PM
enigmatic ... Are you in Melbourne... if so.. I may consider getting rid of this card eventually... else its going back into a PC (a little bit of a waste)...
Hi Kelvin,

I'm in Sydney; please PM me if you are interested in selling.

I've found a second hand ATI 9800 XT which has come out of a Mac. May go for that depending on what you want for your card?

lavo
22nd November 2005, 03:13 PM
Anybody know what happened with this sale? Could be interested in the flashed card, if Kelvin didn't buy it.

If sold, what is the go for replacement G5 Graphics cards these days? I'll be replacing a stock 5200.

enigmatic
22nd November 2005, 04:31 PM
Hi Lavo,

I didn't buy it. I got a 2nd hand 9800 off eBay and it is very good (so far).

Cheers,

Chris

KELVIN
22nd November 2005, 09:05 PM
For those looking for 9800pros theres are few around the OCAU forums...

just make sure you are a pc to flash them in... and get the right sort...

lavo
22nd November 2005, 10:08 PM
Can you give us an idea of what prices they are looking for? Unless you have been a member of OCAU for more than 90 days, none of the for sale forums are viewable.

jamall
7th December 2005, 01:47 PM
For anyone interested I am selling a G4 compatible Radeon 9600XT over in the trading post. It's been running quite well in my Digital Audio for the past 9 months using the tape mod described at xlr8yourmac.com, however the tape came off when i removed the card. It's being replaced with a flashed Alastor Radeon 9800 Pro if anyone wants to add that that to the list of compatible cards.

owl
19th April 2006, 01:15 AM
I am very new to this topic but wonder if radeon 9250 is also flashable.

OwL

KELVIN
5th May 2006, 10:12 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(owl &#064; Apr 19 2006, 01&#58;15 AM) 163912</div>

I am very new to this topic but wonder if radeon 9250 is also flashable.

OwL
[/b]

I so=imple answer.. it deosn&#39;t work with th 9250.. except for one particular brand... (which isn&#39;t avaialbe in Australia anyway).. Connect3d if I remember correctly..

jal_online
11th September 2006, 10:29 AM
Hi

I have a g4 powermac and need a basic video card that will do quartx extreme, it is not used for games it&#39;s just that imovie 06 requires quartz extreme for themes etc.

If anyone can give me some advice on where i might be able to pick up a cheap one( new or secondhand) it would be appreciated

cheers

Byrd
11th September 2006, 12:21 PM
Hi jal,

would you consider flashing a PC card? The cheapest option would be a generic Geforce 2 MX for about &#036;20. It can be flashed on both Mac or PC, but you need a bit of expertise to do this.

Otherwise, a good cheap Mac-compatible card is a Radeon 7500 - there are heaps of these on eBay for &#036;40 US. I&#39;m using one in my Cube to great effect (cost about AUD&#036;70 all up, arrived in 5 days&#33;). The other much faster option (and Core Image ready) is a Geforce FX5200 - again, eBay for this one.

JB

bljpoad
22nd November 2006, 01:23 PM
Has anyone come across a situation where you flash a PC card with a Mac rom and then it will not let you flash it back?

I recently had a go with a GeForce 2MX AGP card I found for $20. I flashed it with a Mac rom using NVFlash, no joy in the sawtooth it was destined for. When I put it back into the PC for reflashing NVFlash tells me I don't have an Nvidia card in the machine, so it won't let me flash it back again. Anyone seen this before? I just want to check that I can't undo the damage before I put it in the bin! :)
- Berwyck

pipsqeek
22nd November 2006, 01:44 PM
More then likely it will be a goner.

Not having much experience with the Nvidia flasher. Can you use it via DOS? If so, there should be a FORCE option (-f) maybe. that will force flash the card, regardless of whatever errors.

I know the ATI flasher does this in DOS. But like I said, not sure of the Nvidia one.

Other then that. the only other option is to replace the ROM chip with another working one, or if you can find one from Jaycar/Dicksmith/Farnell/RS Components. etc.

Or just source another $20 card and try again.

Other then that, I'm out of ideas. Maybe someone with more Nvidia experience can chime in.

pipsqeek

forgie
22nd November 2006, 03:19 PM
So is there any word on flashing cards for the Mac Pro? For the X1900XT it doesn't make much sense to flash it yourself, but considering that that's the only real option for a gaming card, DIY might be worth it for the increased choice.

bljpoad
22nd November 2006, 03:34 PM
More then likely it will be a goner.

Not having much experience with the Nvidia flasher. Can you use it via DOS? If so, there should be a FORCE option (-f) maybe. that will force flash the card, regardless of whatever errors.

I know the ATI flasher does this in DOS. But like I said, not sure of the Nvidia one.

Other then that. the only other option is to replace the ROM chip with another working one, or if you can find one from Jaycar/Dicksmith/Farnell/RS Components. etc.

Or just source another $20 card and try again.

Other then that, I'm out of ideas. Maybe someone with more Nvidia experience can chime in.

pipsqeek

yeah, the NVFlash program runs from dos and I had a crack with the -f option but no joy. Going the new ROM chip route seems like a bit too much effort, so I might just conceed defeat and get a new card. Maybe this time I will try an Radeon based card, there seems to be a bit more info out there for them! Thanks pips
- Berwyck

pipsqeek
24th November 2006, 10:25 AM
There was some news about the NVidia card since the 5xxx series not being able to be flashed due to the fact that the ROM chips on the cards are 64 bits and the ROM files are 68 bits in size.

Strangedogs had a hacked ROM but it was pretty much made to tailor, per card.

Even if one ROM worked with one card, it was not guaranteed not to work with the exact same model bought at a later date. I'd assume small revisions in different batches.

pipsqeek

aussiehoudini
5th February 2007, 07:50 PM
is it going to be tricky if i buy a Nvidia Geforce 6200 to flash it for a Dual G4 -867?

Byrd
5th February 2007, 08:27 PM
Very tricky if you get the wrong card aussiehoudini - the only card that Strangedogs have offered a ROM for is the XFX AGP 6200 256MB low profile "WANG" card (link to thread below, you'll need to register on the site to view):

http://strangedogs.proboards40.com/index.cgi?board=experiments&action=display&thread=1169470604

This particular model - don't go for anything else - is readily available in Australia for approx. $100. I'm planning on getting on for my Cube :)

JB

aussiehoudini
5th February 2007, 09:55 PM
HI, thanks for the info. Is there a card you'd recommend for the G4 dualie? I'm editing a video piece in HD and while the processors and Ram can handle it the card is struggling.

I want to buy a PC card (cheap, available) and get it in and running fast. Impossible dream? :)

Byrd
6th February 2007, 08:11 AM
Probably the cheapest (~ $100) and most capable would be a Radeon 9800; if you want Core Image, the cheapest would be the aforementioned 6200 or a flashed 6800, but you'll be paying $200 - 300 for one of these.

The 6200 is also 64-bit, while Core Image will run it will be fairly slow. The Radeon 9800 is exceedingly faster with it's 256-bit memory bus.

JB

Davinci7
13th April 2007, 11:49 AM
Hi everyone,
I'm new to Macs. I have an old G4 which is a second computer for the kids and needs the video card updated. I've already spent $1000 on it and can't really justifying going out and buying a new mac graphics card on top.
I don't know enough about macs to safely flush it myself (I do know PCs well). If a buy a PC card is there anyone near Sydney who would flush it for me? (for a price of course).
Otherwise...how hard is it really if you don't know the lingo?

Thanks

Davinci7
19th April 2007, 06:20 PM
Bought a Radeon Pro 3800 off ebay which I was told was Mac compatible, but I don't think it is....CD only has drivers for PC.
Now I'll have to find a way to flash it. I've read all the instructions, but it may as well be French to me. Apparently this particular card also needs soldering.
Any suggestions?

Byrd
19th April 2007, 07:07 PM
Hi Davinci7,

do you have a link to the eBay auction that you won? It'll give us a better idea of what you bought. You don't need drivers to install the card under OS X (although there are utilities for the card from ATI's site), so if it was a PC flashed card (was it?) you should be able to plug the card straight in.

If it wasn't, and you need to replace the ROM with a larger one (64K to 128K), you're a bit stuffed. Partly because 128K flash ROMs are hard to obtain in Australia, and that you'll have to reflash the ROM yourself.

Here are some links to start you out:

http://thomas.perrier.name/otherStuff/ati9800convertEN.html
http://strangedogs.wikispaces.com/wikidownloads

I'd be willing to flash the card for a fee, but only if it had a 128K ROM :p

JB

Paxton
9th February 2008, 12:28 PM
I know this is a really, really old thread, and I'm sorry to Thread Mine, however I've come into the possession of a Geforce 5500 Card from an old PC (My Wife's box has been sitting for long enough, so I've pulled it apart), and I've decided to try and replace the NVidia GeForce2 MX in my G4 DA.

First, I've got a couple of questions. 1) Is the Flashing community still alive? None of the earlier posted links (which are about four years old) work, so I'm going round in a perpetual Google loop. 2) Will this card work in my G4? If so, is the card easy to flash? 3) Once flashed, will all the functions of the card work? I'll connect it it to my TV through S-Video, so those functions will work, won't they?

The actual model name of the card is WinFast S340. AGP 8X. It came out of a Generic Box running XP.

Thanks guys.

stewiesno1
9th February 2008, 12:35 PM
Paxton , one of the biggest but not the only flashing site is www.strangedogs.com and check out their databases. They have buying guides for PC cards that are easy to flash or ones that require more work .You can also download the ROM's from there as well.

Stewie

Byrd
9th February 2008, 09:58 PM
Hey stewie, strangedogs is still running for archival purposes but now closed, having moved to The Mac Elite forums/wiki:

www.themacelite.com

The ROMs can be found here:

http://themacelite.wikidot.com/wikidownloads2

paxton: PC --> Mac video card flashing is still alive and well, and will continue to be at the rate Apple keeps releasing graphics cards with EFI firmware (the Hackintosh community is a help here). I've two cards I've been meaning to flash, an FX5200 and Radeon 7000 that I'll attempt soon.

Regarding your graphics card, the 5500 is a die-shrunk version of the 5200, meaning it is a little cooler running. There are some things you'll need to check before flashing it over:

- If the card is 64 or 128 bit (you might need a different ROM)

- Flashing the card is cumbersome but fairly straightforward, if you are armed with a bootable floppy disk/USB key, the ROM, and NVFlash on your old PC

- As it's an AGP 8X card, to work on the Mac you will need to tape the AGP pins 3 & 11 (on any G4 Mac bar the Sawtooth which lacks ADC):

http://www.themacelite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30

- I'm pretty sure TV-out does not work on PC flashed 5200s :( VGA and DVI will work fine, however (hoping that you have a TV with HDMI!). It seems TV-out works better on flashed Radeon cards.

JB

Edge
9th February 2008, 10:28 PM
Byrd's right. Methinks that your 8x card needs to be AGP 2x compatible to work in a DA; check the notch/es to make sure - 2 is good.

There are ROMs to make the S-video work, but owing to the multitude of different 5500/5200 models out there, they needed to be individually tweaked in most cases from what I recall. I flashed about a dozen of those damn things, but much more progress was made after I lost interest.

But there's a good chance everything I've just said is wrong...