PDA

View Full Version : Font Explorer X

marc
4th December 2005, 05:43 PM
I only just found out about this...

http://www.linotype.com/fontexplorerX

Anyone else using it? It really looks the business, with a very nice iTunes-like UI.
I'm glad to see the last of Suitcases crashes.

Downloading now!

yinyang
4th December 2005, 09:13 PM
it's nice and easy to use....what more can you say :)

maybe this is what font book should be!!

and best bit is that it's FREE :D

neilrobinson
4th December 2005, 09:34 PM
Hi,

been using it for a while (about 2 months i guess) 1000% more stable than suitcase....

Stable - even thou its still beta. It did crash once but that was the very first version and i was trying to add about 5000 fonts in one go... kinda my fault really.
Doesn't mess up system fonts. ie like suitcase overriding helvetica making mail messages unreadable.
Auto Activation... it... it... well it just works :P

The only problem i have with it - it doesn't support temporary fonts. Being a digital printer loading fonts for upto 50 jobs a day. Temp fonts are really the only way to go. I am working on a way to have the pref's file overwritten with a "base" version on every login.

but you cant complain about free... too much.

neil

Aa
4th December 2005, 10:16 PM
I like the concept and tried it for a bit, but as a designer i NEED auto activation. Many projects are simply impossible to work on without it.
If i get a job from another designer with 10 different fonts i cant possibly activate them manually and have any certainty that they are the versions used in the original.

It didn't seem to recognise some of my fonts when importing either, but not as many as suitcase had problems with if i remember correctly.

I'll keep my eye on it and see where it goes...

marc
4th December 2005, 10:36 PM
Font Agent (http://www.insidersoftware.com/) is also supposed to be great, but I've never used it.

marc
29th December 2005, 01:49 PM
A new version was just released... It includes an Illustrator plugin and auto activation.

That's the final nail for Suitcase I think.

Peter
5th January 2006, 08:21 PM
I have been using FontExplorer X for awhile now and haven't had any problems with it, it's a great little program.

Aa
5th January 2006, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Peter@Jan 5 2006, 08:21 PM
I have been using FontExplorer X for awhile now and haven't had any problems with it, it's a great little program.
Peter are you a designer or creative of any sort?

I'm really hoping for some solid evidence of studio font management before i make any switch from Extensis.

yitzyf
5th January 2006, 09:56 PM
I'm not a pro (althoug my dad is) and we've been using FontExplorer ever since Marc posted this. I haven't had any problems with it. What we've found is that M$ Office programs open quicker now, the Auto Activation works great, and it doesn't come up with the annoying "Suitcase is initialising. This may take a few moments" and then Suitcase doesn't hide itself. This pops up for a sec, then disappears. The only thing I wish would work is auto activation in FileMaker. FM doesn't even pick up fonts manually opened while the program is open. But still, Suitcase never did that either, so can'tcomplain. And it's free!

Aa
5th January 2006, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by yitzyf@Jan 5 2006, 09:56 PM
I'm not a pro (althoug my dad is) and we've been using FontExplorer ever since Marc posted this. I haven't had any problems with it. What we've found is that M$ Office programs open quicker now, the Auto Activation works great, and it doesn't come up with the annoying "Suitcase is initialising...
do you use any Adobe CS? (he asks hopefully...)

Have you opened any docs with several Extensis activating fonts for the first time in font explorer? What happened? Activation? No Activation? Missing Fonts/foot through monitor?

so many questions...

neilrobinson
6th January 2006, 08:58 AM
I use it with quark and the entire CS2 suite... new version is just out fixing most of the bugs it seems.

neil

yitzyf
6th January 2006, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by aa...@Jan 5 2006, 11:22 PM

Have you opened any docs with several Extensis activating fonts for the first time in font explorer? What happened? Activation? No Activation? Missing Fonts/foot through monitor?

so many questions...
I do use Adobe CS, and it's been working pretty well in InDesign. I haven't used Illustrator much lately, so I haven't really tested it. I'm not sure what you mean with "several Extensis activating fonts". I haven't been doing all that much lately, especially with many fonts, so my experiences so far aren't all that much to go by.

Can we start a thread about "When is the Linotype font store going to open in Aus?" and get it to 1500 posts or so (not like I buy fonts very often....) </stir>

Cheers
yitzyf

marc
6th January 2006, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by aa...@Jan 5 2006, 10:22 PM
Stop asking questions&#33;

Just use it&#33; :) I will never use anything else. The most recent update has added Illustrator plugs. Very, very nice.

Can we start a thread about "When is the Linotype font store going to open in Aus?" and get it to 1500 posts or so (not like I buy fonts very often....) </stir>
Hahaha... Please see attached&#33;

Aa
7th January 2006, 12:20 PM
Alrighty already&#33;

I&#39;ll give it a go during the week and see how we fare.
Stay tuned for intolerable and inevitable posts of font greif and sorrow...