PDA

View Full Version : How long is too long?

countmacula
4th December 2005, 12:40 PM
Hey guys..

I'm getting really frustrated - My Powerbook died recently. Right after i updated to 10.3.9...
Anyways, it was doing the 3 chimes thing and not booting up. So RAM or possibly a Logic Board failure.

My PB had 2 x 512 Apple ram in it. I took it back to where it was purchased...

It's been 6 Weeks. 6 FREAKIN' weeks man!
AFter the 2 week mark I started calling asking how it was going.
"Oh it's the ram, we've ordered the parts from Apple, not much longer..."

Yeah fair enough. I remember when I bought my Cube it took 3 months to come in.. Apple is SLOW.

Now it's been 6 weeks without my Powerbook, and I'm having withdrawals something chronic.
I haven't even been able to enjoy the iTunes Music Store! - She's been away since it opened!

On friday I called up - Apparently they're still waiting on the second stick of ram...

It's just utter bullsh*t really. I could walk out and purchase a stick of ram that could probably work right now!

How long does it take to order in ram ?

Anyways. Rant over.

PS: the store I went to is (sorry, removed) ... I've had nothing but trouble with this store in the past, and have heard nothing good about them. Definately last time I EVER use them... I don't want to diss them out in a public forum, but seriously... Bad service guys.

Byrd edit: removed name of vendor

dangelovich
4th December 2005, 12:53 PM
I'd go in and get your machine back. Then take it to someone who knows what they're doing...
6 weeks for RAM is too long.

sunrisesister
4th December 2005, 01:03 PM
Yeh, way too long, i agree - go and retrieve your machine and bring her home!

Good luck..

C xx

plunkotica
4th December 2005, 01:12 PM
my ibook hasnt worked from day one, i bought it in october and the airport was playing up. they said they fixed it so i collected it, same problem. took it back a few days later, was in the service department for another 2 weeks, got it back again, still with the same problem. its now back in the service department for a third time, possibly the logic board, so theyre gonna replace that now.

why didnt they just give me a freaking new ibook? its less than 3 months old, if that, and has spent nearly 8 weeks in the service department.

dangelovich
4th December 2005, 01:23 PM
I've been told there are some provisions in the Trade Practices Act for situations where a product keeps needing repairs... My uncle used it a while ago - his TV had been in for warranty repair 5 times in the last 3 months of the warranty period. He basically said he didn't believe it would remain fixed, and they gave him a new TV....
Your state's consumer affairs office can help you out with it.
http://www.consumer.gov.au/

pipsqeek
4th December 2005, 03:43 PM
Clearly, no one here has ready my iBook saga.

The link is in my sig.

Cheers
pips

Currawong
4th December 2005, 04:18 PM
plunkotica: You made a fatal error - if it isn't working from day one you take it back straight away while it's still within the Dead On Arrival period, then it would likely have been exchanged. It sounded like you waited a while, so it becomes a repair issue.