PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook External Display

Cam
20th August 2004, 12:15 PM
How do you dedicate all video memory to the external video device?

Disko
20th August 2004, 12:48 PM
I don't think you can unfortunately. Though, it would be a great hack if someone managed to figure out how.

Cam
20th August 2004, 01:36 PM
I can seriously remember some manual or something that came with the powerbook telling how to do this! But I just cant remember!

And I dont have any manuals atm :(

Cam
20th August 2004, 01:38 PM
Ahh I found out how!!

1. Plug in a external keyboard
2. Close your laptop lid
3. Hit a button on your external keyboard to wake your computer and vioala! if thats how u spell it

Disko
20th August 2004, 02:25 PM
Cam - open your powerbook!

They keyboard is a vent for a lot of the heat to get out. closing the lid while it is operational will cook your powerbook!

Cam
20th August 2004, 02:49 PM
Powerbook lid is open. Good thing is the display doesnt come on after you have done those 3 processes. All output is through the external screen!

My powerbook is my desktop at work :)

Disko
20th August 2004, 02:52 PM
nice. you freaked me out for a sec there. :)

sfcoy
20th August 2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Disko@Aug 20 2004, 02:25 PM
closing the lid while it is operational will cook your powerbook!
I don't believe that this is true. I'm sure that they are designed to work with the lid closed.

I use my 15" 1.25G PB all day every day with the lid closed, often doing cpu intensive stuff. The fan does not activate any more frequently than when the lid is up.

This unit has a big vent along the hinge at the back as well as two on each side near the front.

Steve Coy

MightyAtom
20th August 2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Disko@Aug 20 2004, 02:25 PM
They keyboard is a vent for a lot of the heat to get out. closing the lid while it is operational will cook your powerbook!
No it isn't Apple haven't made a keyboard venting system since the Powerbook 2400. You can only feel heat through the keyboard because the CPU and graphics chip are located under the left hand side.

Disko
20th August 2004, 11:07 PM
okay, i must have been mistaken then. I thought my keyboard gave out it's share of heat and assumed it was a vent. :)