PDA

View Full Version : PowerBooks with optical audio out

AnthoMac
2nd December 2005, 10:01 PM
Hi, I have a PowerBook 15' with optical output. Got a few questions about that little port.

I saw this (http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/438feb0d06f1c5fe273fc0a87f9c0752/Product/View/C1789) cable in dicksmith.

Firstly, is this the 3.5mm plug that connects to a hifi system (receiver) with surround sound and secondly, does the PowerBook actually support DTS?

And is it possible to connect it up to an analoge surround sound connection (3.5mm cables: green black and yellow to 3.5mm optical on the PowerBook)?

Now Im wondering how many users here connect their PowerBook (and perhaps their iMac G5 equipped with optical sound) to a receiver with 5.1 output?

~Anthony

Buthidae
3rd December 2005, 03:10 AM
Yep, that's the cable you want. Maybe get a bit longer one though, if you can?
I have NFI about DTS, etc., however :)

ozpixola
3rd December 2005, 11:10 PM
DTS is a digital audio stream that requires specific decoding software or hardware.

A PB could decode the signal into the 5.1 channels but you'd then only be able to hear stereo because the analog output in the PB can only handle 2 channel audio.

A PB with optical output should be able to pass the original audio stream to the optical port. You could then pass the digital stream to an outboard audio processor to be decoded. If that processor has built-in amplifiers for 6 or more speakers then you plug that into the speakers, or whatever way you want to route the analog audio.

If you don't want to plug the PB into your home Hi Fi system, then you can try some of the PC targeted hi end audio solutions ( like a Creative Labs type DD5.1 all in one system that gives you the 6 speakers plus the decoder box that accepts a optical digital audio input ).

Jaffa
4th December 2005, 08:45 AM
i wish my 12" PB had optical output... :(

Squozen
4th December 2005, 08:55 AM
If you really want one, there are USB optical outputs available.

pipsqeek
4th December 2005, 03:40 PM
I carry around a TASCAM US-428 with me, works a treat for Digital Audio out :P

Cheers
pips