PDA

View Full Version : Cool Apple Experience!

Ozi
19th August 2004, 11:48 PM
So there I am, sitting out the front of Rowden White Library at Melbourne University, and I decide to listen to some music whilst study for my Biology Tutorial. So i open up iTunes, and there is a little blue playlist sitting in the left menu. As I am connected to Unimelb Wireless via Airport Extreme, i decide to have a listen. So there I am, listening to this guys 15GB of music, and its streaming fast enough never to have to rebuffer. So im pretty happy, listening to his music, surfing the internet, studying biology.

Then I open up iChat, and lo and behold, there is the same guy on iChat! So for the next hour or so I chatted to him about his music, what degree he was doing, just getting to know him. He then started listening to my iTunes library because there was some music I had and he didn't. (I only have 7.5 GB though. Pitiful I know.)

So yeah, I thought it was awesome that I could listen to his music, have him listen to mine, and we both be able to chat about it. He had a 12" iBook, and a crumpler bag like mine. And we also recommended software to each other, got to know each other. It was just a really cool application of technology to communicate with music and words.

I love Apple. :)

~Ozi

Disko
19th August 2004, 11:58 PM
Apple's portables, itunes & ichat. Perfect tools for the potential stalker. :)

Ozi
20th August 2004, 12:25 AM
Disko, that is freaky! My dad (who looks just like Captain Haddock in your avatar) said exactly the same thing: that the guy i was talking to was a 45 year old overweight paedophile preying on young uni students like me! :o

You and my dad think too alike. :lol: Its ok, I will only meet him somewhere public! And even then, I wont give him my dirty undies unless he asks nicely. LMAO :unsure:

Disko
20th August 2004, 12:34 AM
[darth vader]

Ozi. I am your father.

[/darth vader]

Asher Tuzza
20th August 2004, 02:51 AM
i see the same kinda thing as used to happen with palm users - when palms were IT every time we saw palm users we would go visit - beam them software - help them with their palms - it was a mini comunity - even if we just played ir-games with total strangers 'cause we could' - i remember being on trainins in sydney and beaming notes to my mate on the other side of the train - it was a full train and standing room only - we couldnt hear each other talk - so we beamed notes - we both used them heaps and could write into it plenty quick.... eventually the train carrage got a litle emptier and people started asking us about them - prety soon we could have been selling them right there... same thing is happening with iBooks now - when i airport equiped my pismo and started doing the bus thing - we could sit at opposit ends of the bus and play games against each other - just cause we could - nowdays its going up to total strangers and talking about their iPod just cause you can sea their earphones... mac users are friendly folks - i was in brissie the other week and someone came up to me cause of my ipod earphones - i got my pismo out and gave them a bit of a 'mac demo' while i was there :-)

kim jong il
20th August 2004, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by Ozi@Aug 20 2004, 12:25 AM
Disko, that is freaky! My dad (who looks just like Captain Haddock in your avatar) said exactly the same thing: that the guy i was talking to was a 45 year old overweight paedophile preying on young uni students like me! :o

You and my dad think too alike. :lol: Its ok, I will only meet him somewhere public! And even then, I wont give him my dirty undies unless he asks nicely. LMAO :unsure:
Ozi. Sorry to sound (literally :blink:) like your father, but both he and disko are onto something. Either you have, by some amazing coincidence, found someone with interests really closely aligned to your own or you have stumbled onto some whacko technological pied piper. You'll be found somewhere..............
Imagine the headlines: YOUNG "Ozi" FOUND DEAD IN DRAIN. OK, weak joke, but you get the point.

It is a nice use of technology however, whatever the motive. (and your dad does bear a strange resemblance to the captain. I'd never thought about it before)

kim

Ozi
20th August 2004, 04:52 PM
OK guys, you are scaring me now&#33; :linux: <--- i am feeling so scared, that I have become a penguin. No kidding. :lol: nah i just thought i should use a different smily.

Anyway, Im really hoping hes nt some wierd stalker. And its not like im going to meet him in an alley somewhere. But if hes saying hes a bloke, then maybe he is really an awesomely hot girl who is desperate to seduce me... *eyes glaze over, as Ozi focus into the middle distance*

where was I?

Oh yeah, right. Stalker, drain, captain haddock. Its all coming back to me.

So yeah, my Dad also found the article pretty funny, but asssures me that he is NOT disko. Which is a big weight of my mind.

Also, Hilary Duff is a much under-rated pop vocalist. I just thought you should all know. *starts humming "So Yesterday"*

~Ozi

Lucas
20th August 2004, 06:14 PM
Hheheheh he can&#39;t be that much of a whacko he uses macs. Plus I know this sounds weird but why not just trust that someones not a whacko first. Otherwise you&#39;ll never meet anyone. But that is a really good story btw. I haven&#39;t used ichat yet (I have no ichat friends :unsure: ) Can you share music (not just stream) over itunes with local users and how do you stream you playlists?

Disko
20th August 2004, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Ozi@Aug 20 2004, 04:22 PM
So yeah, my Dad also found the article pretty funny, but asssures me that he is NOT disko.
I just told you that to play with your mind. Like when i taught you how to ride that bike without the training wheels. B)

Ozi
21st August 2004, 01:07 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO&#33;

*whips out lightsabre*

Never&#33; *chops Diskos hand off*

:lol: OK thats just scaring me. LMFAO good call disko. :unsure:

And to share iTunes music playlists, open iTunes, press :cmd:, then click "Sharing" from the options in that window. Then tick the boxes "Look for shared music" and "Share my library" and iTunes will automatically display the libraries of any other computers connected to your network who also have sharing enabled. Someone elses library will show up as a little blue icon in the "Source" section to the left of your iTunes window.

Oh and Disko, I never learnt on training wheels, but on my great-grandfathers red and blue bike, which was too old to have mounts for training wheels. It was a birth by fire, but a lot of fun once I had learnt. kim knows about that bike, im sure. :)

~Ozi