PDA

View Full Version : what is a .dmg

Daz34
19th August 2004, 09:43 PM
I wonder if you guys would tell me about the idea behind .dmg's. please.
Do I have to leave them where i uncompress them... or can I get rid of them after they are installed?

Disko
19th August 2004, 09:55 PM
Most programs you download for mac come in a dmg. The are a disk image, and mount on your desktop like a Hard drive, CD, DVD or other volume.

You can make your own with disk utility in Applications>Utilities.

You can delete a .dmg file at will - unless it is mounted, in which case you've got to unmount its volume before you can delete the file. If you've installed something - make sure you've copied it out of the mounted volume before you unmount and delete it though.

Does that clear it up? :)

Ozi
19th August 2004, 10:27 PM
what i do, is download it, then double click it to mount the "virtual disk" which will be a white square thingie. When this opens, drag the application inside it to where ever you want it.... maybe just your hard disk, or a the applications or utilities folder inside your hard disk. It will copy it, then you no longer need the .dmg file OR the "virtual gisk image" (that white thing)

So click the white thing, and press :cmd:E to "eject" it. Then just delete the .dmg file. :)

elvis
19th August 2004, 10:34 PM
At a file-system level it's a compressed HFS+ image (think a snapshot of a disk written to a file) with files inside it, all of which gets mounted into your UNIX tree at /Volumes .

Just in case you were wondering...