PDA

View Full Version : Mail problem

g5agogo
1st December 2005, 11:49 AM
Hi.

I'm using Mail (1.3.9) on OS X 10.3.9. I received an email today in the form of a table, but when I try to forward the message, it loses all the table formatting, and prints information out as a list, which makes things pretty unreadable. The table isn't listed as an attachment.

I have tried without success the following:

forwarding as text and rtf
forwarding with/without quoting
cutting/copying and pasting, dragging to a new mail message
dragging to preview, word, excel
dragging to safari
saving as text and rtf and raw and opening with various programmes, mail, safari, preview, word, excel

Eventually, I saved the screen as a PDF and cropped it and forwarded it. However, this makes it now impossible for the receiver to cut and paste numbers from the table, as they probably will want to do.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this situation in the future?

eyeLikeCarrots
1st December 2005, 12:17 PM
So the table is embedded HTML ?

g5agogo
1st December 2005, 12:27 PM
Yes, haven't looked closely at the raw save, but there was certainly some html in there.

soulman
1st December 2005, 12:44 PM
In Preferences->Composing->Responding (Mail 1.3.11) there is a check box called "Use the same message format as the original" Make sure that's checked perhaps.

Otherwise, it would be interesting to see what the actual data is. In View->Message->View Raw Source, you can see what is going on.

g5agogo
1st December 2005, 01:09 PM
Thanks soulman, but yes, I'd already tried that, and no go.

It's definitely HTML but when I look at the raw source, it shows the whole message including table data as plain text first and then the html. If I strip out the text prior to the html, then open it in safari, it displays a table and the message content, and the format of the table is sort of there but quite a bit screwed.

Surely there's some simple thing I'm missing in mail, no?

soulman
1st December 2005, 02:51 PM
Mail may be just trying hard to make sense of some badly formed data. Without seeing it I couldn't be sure though. What sort of mail client is it coming from? Can you attack the problem by avoiding it? In other words, get the sender to provide you with something you can use? If you end up with a tab/return delimited list it can be dropped straight into a spreadsheet.

There may be something simple you're missing in Mail but I don't know what, sorry. Good luck!

g5agogo
1st December 2005, 06:47 PM
Thanks soulman.
As I said, for the moment I've save as a pdf and cropped and forwarded it on. Not the best solution, but a solution. Unfortunately, the data is confidential otherwise I'd post it.

Thanks again.

Currawong
1st December 2005, 08:17 PM
This kind of thing has been so incredibly annoying about mail.app that I am unable to use it as a client. As it turns out, it often butchers foreign language text in the same way if sent to hotmail accounts. That, along with disabling accounts without warning if they fail to connect, as well as insisting on testing pop and smtp connections before you're allowed to create an account, make it the most frustrating of all Apple applications I've ever used.

I just use Entourage instead, which, despite being an MS app, does a miles better job.