View Full Version : Under the keyboard...

19th August 2004, 08:27 PM
Does anyone know what the little "thing" is under my iBook keyboard?
A mate reckons its a pcmda connection or something.
I want to know for sure whatr it is and what I can do with it...

19th August 2004, 08:33 PM
Umm.. you may have to elaborate a little more.

there are lots of little "things" on the iBook....

19th August 2004, 09:04 PM
iBooks do not come with a PCMCIA slot, which i am guessing you are talking about. Thats a slot which powerbooks have in the left side, which can hold a range of cards... ie wireless, bluetooth/ethernet/USB 2.0 adapters. However, if you are talking about under the keyboard, then im not sure. Take a picture, or explain it more clearly.

19th August 2004, 09:19 PM
i think its there for the airport card? or the memory?

20th August 2004, 05:25 AM
I'm pretty sure it's for an airport or airport extreme card depending on how old your iBook is. I remember the guy in the apple store showing me that on the iBooks. It's that of memory. But you should be able to figure out which is which.

20th August 2004, 07:08 AM
Yep, it's the Airport card slot. It has the same form factor as a pcmcia card. However all the pinouts are different. So don't go trying to stick anything but an Airport card in there!

20th August 2004, 08:52 AM
Ok...thanks for the ideas...heres the pic

20th August 2004, 10:08 AM
as gelfie says, that's where the airport extreme card goes. if u look at mine (which you wont!! GET YOUR HANDS OFF MY IBOOK! :P ) it has a card there.

under that "cheese grater" that's held by those 4 screws is where the memory expansion slot is.

20th August 2004, 10:11 AM
yup thats definitely for airport! It looks like the antenna connector up the top, with the pins down the bottom of the pic.

Well, at least it looks like that, and doesn't look anything like a SO-DIMM slot.