PDA

View Full Version : HELP! iBook crashed and won't restart (merged)

matrixgeek
19th August 2004, 07:47 PM
My iBook just crashed... I was online surfing, downloading some stuff and was using iTunes. Safari started hanging, so I force quit it. Then iTunes stopped responding, so Itried to force quit that. Then I got the beachball of death, and the pointer and caps lock stopped responding. I shut down using the power button. counted to 10 mississippi and then tried to restart. Got the chord, and then nothing! No Apple, no power manager twirly...
Have taken the battery out to see if it is RAM, am waiting another 10 or so to attempt another restart. Does this sound like RAM? Kernal Panic?? Where do I look in the logs to see what happened?
Mac Veterans please help!!!
Mat

matrixgeek
19th August 2004, 08:28 PM
Update- still no go, have reset PRAM, have reset open firmware, still no go, it won't even boot off the OS X disc, i get the Apple logo and the twirly but thats it! HELLLPPPP!!!!!
Mat

matrixgeek
19th August 2004, 08:48 PM
Ok, another update, it now is up, but I think I scared it!!! Got the OS X installer to work, ran disc utility but my volume wouldn't show up. Reset it, and then it booted! FREAKY! Am now running fsck, will run a utility after this just in case. Where do I look in the logs to try and see what happened? What could it be???
This has happened before, by the way. When she was in the garage last week I got the tech to run a system utility and he said the RAM was ok, but...
Any ideas anybody???
Mat

Disko
19th August 2004, 09:28 PM
That sounds surreal. Have you tried the apple hardware test? Its on one of the CD's or DVD that came with your iBook.

If it passes the test (which it probably will), then you may want to look out for tech tool pro, which may find a hardware error. Its a little more thorough than the apple one.

Those steps should tell you if its a hardware error. Have you added any ram lately?

Also - which ibook is it? Perhaps its under the logic board program?

Ozi
19th August 2004, 10:19 PM
hmmmm wierd! the hardware test is on the first CD that came with your computer. And Disko, I think the logic Board thing is characterised by the screen failing, so I doubt it is that., especially as the screen is working no problems. So im fairly sure its not logic board. Maybe its the Ram, but that normally breaks and stays broken.... intriguing mystery!

MightyAtom
20th August 2004, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by Ozi@Aug 19 2004, 10:19 PM
I think the logic Board thing is characterised by the screen failing, so I doubt it is that.
The screen doesn't fail the graphics chip does.

This sounds like exactly what happened to my iBook. I had a kernel panic out of the blue, after several attempts to reboot nothing appeared on screen but I still got the startup chime. I managed to reinstall OS X and the machine worked fine for about 30 mins then the same thing happened again, startup chime with nothing on screen. I got it to reboot again later that day but it KP'd pretty quickly, called AppleCare described the problem and they booked it in for a LB replacement straight away.

Don't discount the LB failing, sounds like a definite possibility.

matrixgeek
20th August 2004, 02:30 PM
Ok, bit more info, my iBook is already on her second LB as it was DOA and the board was at fault. Tried using it again last night, had another crash while only using iTunes. Same restart problems, tried the hardware test CD, but that came up all ok. It's going now, have trashed all third party iTunes apps and anything recently installed just in case that was the cause of all evil. Should I also trash pref's??? Have heard this may help as well...
I really think this 'Book is cursed!
Thanks for suggestions guys, can someone tell me where to look in the logs and what to look for regarding the crash??? And advice on trashing prefs???
HELP!!!
I is worried about my baby and I have no way of backing her up atm...
Mat

sfcoy
20th August 2004, 03:42 PM
Have you tried resetting the power manager?

See Resetting PowerBook and iBook Power Management Unit (PMU) (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449).

Steve Coy

matrixgeek
20th August 2004, 06:49 PM
Thanks Steve tried that. It's up now...just waiting for it to act flaky again...
I rang my Apple reseller and talked to the tech. I am going to take it in and let them wave smoe insense and mung beans over it and try and find the issues... only joking, they are going to check it with techtool pro 4. The tech said that with my luck with this machine I should push Apple for a new one!!!! (haha!)
Please keep all suggestions coming, it won't be in at the doctors until at least next tuesday...
Mat

matrixgeek
22nd August 2004, 02:29 PM
Just when I thought Zion was getting better... The combo drive I had replaced under warranty last week is not scratching my CD's and DVD's, and it's reading them ok. BUT... when I try to burn a CD in iTunes or create a data CD backup all I get is error messages! The console says this:

"iTunes: Burn sense: 5/2c/00 Illegal request, command sequence error.
"iTunes: Burn error: 0x80020022 The device failed to respond properly, unable to recover or retry."

Now I'm really worried, cause after the crashes of last week (See my 'Help!!!' post) I can't even back her up...
Anyone changed a combo drive in their machine and had a similar problem? Tried the kbase and nothing doing there...
HELP!!!!!
Mat

purana
22nd August 2004, 02:58 PM
You tried different media?

... and your not moving the machine during the burn process are you?

matrixgeek
22nd August 2004, 03:09 PM
Yeah, tried 3 brands of CD-R, all new out of packet. And it's flat on a table, etc during the process. To add- in iTunes it initalises the burn and then stops when it tries to burn the first track. And I havce checked the iTunes prefs and they are all in order...
???
Mat

purana
22nd August 2004, 03:10 PM
Take it back and complain..

matrixgeek
22nd August 2004, 10:50 PM
Complain??!!?? After a new logic board, new ram, new combo drive, countless crashes, losing contents of hdd, and a reinstall of OS X I want a bloody new machine!!!
Aahhh...my whinge for the day... I am taking it to a different Apple reseller tomorrow to see if they have any ideas about it...
Mat

Ozi
22nd August 2004, 11:27 PM
that sucks matrixgeek. It shouldn't have had any problems, let alone that list! Its under warranty, so hassle them heaps and demand that they test the combo drive works before they give it back to you. :angry:

matrixgeek
22nd August 2004, 11:49 PM
Thanks for the sympathy Ozi. Did I mention it was dead on arrival - hence the new logic board? And this is my FIRST Apple purchace??? Good first impression...
But I would never trade her for a PC!!!
Mat
P.S. Gotta gloat - I LOVE MY NEW AVATAR! It is a iBook G4! Y'know, that laptop I have that works sometimes...

Ozi
22nd August 2004, 11:53 PM
Zion may be a bit temperamental, but im sure in time you will realise that she is the only hope for humanity. That is, if the machines don't destroy her.

Actually, maybe the "logic board" problem was really an anomally self replicating deep inside the matrix, causing catastrophic problems. I think Agent Smith is inside Zion. Look out matrixgeek! Hes going to get you! :lol:

matrixgeek
23rd August 2004, 12:03 AM
Ozi! Come. Sit! Please!
You say you have spent years looking for me. But I have spent my whole life looking for you. You have questions. I have answers. I have choices. First, your questions. No, Smith is not in my mac-hine. My mac-hine is not sentient, and therefore cannot harbour sentient digital life. Sentient digital life is only found in special places, like Cupertino, not Redmond. Sentient digital life needs a special mac-hine to grow. Dual Processors. Gigs of storage. Cold Steel construction. My mac-hine is only a portal, a gateway if you will, to the reality that splinters your mind. It harbours no life. Only 1's and 0's. Bits. Now, to other things. You have a choice. Take the blue pill....

;)

Ozi
23rd August 2004, 12:10 AM
;)

...and you go back to your old life. Take the red pill, and I will show you the truth.

The truth will set you free, Neo. :lol: ah the Matrix is an awesome movie. So if it is not Smith in your computer, what is it? A sentinal perhaps? :)

matrixgeek
23rd August 2004, 12:14 AM
Nah... more likely cross comtamination from my Xbox - stealth sabotage by Bill G!!!
Haha!
ahhh...sunday night humour...I gotta laugh tho, too depressing otherwise
And as for The Matrix, seen 1 over 500 times, 2 over 150 and 3 100+.
Hmmm....think I don't live with my G/F???

Ozi
23rd August 2004, 12:17 AM
LMAO that is scary! I saw one 20 times, 2 about 30 (I won the DVD and love to watch it on my pBook at uni, to show off how good the graphics are) and the third one maybe only 10 times. Small fry compared to you. You truly are a matrix geek! :P Yeah monday morning humour is great. :lol: I really gotta sleep. *yawns*
Good night friends.

matrixgeek
24th August 2004, 08:36 PM
Just a quick update for those that care...(andyou should!!!)
Took iBook back to retailer, they are going to replace the logic board and ram and the combo drive for the third time for each, and wave techtool over the hdd. If it still funks up then we are going to Apple for a new iBook...
So i'm in the land of windoze again...
Mat

Disko
24th August 2004, 11:35 PM
*merged at matrixgeek's request*

matrixgeek
24th August 2004, 11:38 PM
Danke Sur, mein General!
(Too much Enemey Territory for me...)

Ozi
25th August 2004, 12:07 AM
Well I guess a plus is you can say you have an "all new iBook" if they do have to replace it, but it is a damn shame that you are reduced to windoze crappiness in the meantime. :( Oh, and you should have said "Danke Schön, mein General" or "Danke Sehr" if you meant "thankyou very much" :lol:

Guten nacht, mein fraulein. LMAO

kim jong il
25th August 2004, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by matrixgeek@Aug 22 2004, 10:50 PM
................After a new logic board, new ram, new combo drive, countless crashes, losing contents of hdd, and a reinstall of OS X I want a bloody new machine!!!..............

.............."iTunes: Burn sense: 5/2c/00 Illegal request, command sequence error.
"iTunes: Burn error: 0x80020022 The device failed to respond properly, unable to recover or retry."....................

.............And as for The Matrix, seen 1 over 500 times, 2 over 150 and 3 100+.
Hmmm................
Sounds like it has been virtually replaced already. What's left of the original? Case, keyboard, HD and battery? Oh, and the second combo drive sounds like it is cactus as well. Something does not sound right here at all. The odds against this happening must be huge. A story from hell. I mean this really is a bad one.

At one stage I had a similar sort of a problem with a desktop machine. Freezing, spinninng beachball of death etc. This problem was of my own creation however. I stupidly ran Norton speed disk (OS 9) version on a journaled OS X HD to defragment it. Amongst other things, it destroyed the virtual memory swap file. The HD filled up COMPLETELY with invisible data (the swap file expanded until there was no space left for OS X to function). Another HD was rendered inaccessable and unmountable by the same process (mangled drivers). Looked at one way, the defragmentation was TOO successful. It merged/interlinked 26,000 files that took me more than two weeks to recover (70+hours of frustration). In the end I only lost 6 files through irretrievable corruption

good luck, kim

PS. Are you seriously telling us that you have spent 1700 hours or over 70 days@24 hours per day watching the matrix movies? That's 4 hours 38 minutes a day for a full year. There maybe a few movies that I have seen 20+ times, but over about 20 years....... I admire your dedication

matrixgeek
25th August 2004, 06:34 PM
Kim... yes I know, excessive consumption, but it just struck a chord with me. And it would be really bad if I also counted Star Wars movies in that list...(that will get worse after Sep 22!!!)
And all I have done lately is install 10.3.5 and move some old apps to a new folder. I even run fsck and macjanitor regularly!
I just want it to be stable and start when I want it.

And Ozi, if you call me a girl again Ill get your cat to do more than just change your output to grayscale... :ph34r:
Mat

Ozi
25th August 2004, 07:06 PM
LOL well I didn't know you knew that word! :lol: No offence meant, just poking fun. :D

That sounds terrible, kim. Utterly mind-numbingly terrible, retrieving all those files! :eek: I think we should rename this the misery thread: Both my parents are really sick today, and my computer did kernal panic on me last night. :(

matrixgeek
25th August 2004, 07:13 PM
Ozi, I knew that! And don't say Kernal Panic near me, I break out in a rash and sweat profusely... what did it do to panic???
Mat

kim jong il
25th August 2004, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Ozi@Aug 25 2004, 07:06 PM
.................. Both my parents are really sick today..................
I know, one of your sick parents phoned me and got me out of bed at 2:00pm. Heaven knows what I said, but I am pretty sure it was not too polite (I was still mostly asleep). Hope they are restored soon.

cheers

And from Mat:
"Ozi, I knew that! And don't say Kernal Panic near me, I break out in a rash and sweat profusely... what did it do to panic???
Mat"

checked out his itunes playlist maybe? (OK, sorry Ozi)

matrixgeek
25th August 2004, 07:48 PM
^ :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol:
Harsh but funny Kim

Ozi
25th August 2004, 09:48 PM
:lol: musics a very personal and subjective thing, so I'm not offended. :P

Yeah mum is lying in bed pathetically, and dad is grouchy and terse. *shrugs* Im just as bad when I'm sick, so I shouldn't complain! LOL