PDA

View Full Version : In one answer, what external hard disk?

benny gsr
18th August 2004, 11:09 PM
I am looking at a small storage (about 30gig ok but should I go more??) ext. hard drive for ibook G3 500mhz. I think firewire best bet.

I have just read your last few posts about external hard drive connections and it's confused the crap out of me.

Should I get a hard disk enclosure, and hard drive sperately (is it easy to connect diy?) or an all in one?

The most important question though can anyone recommend a reliable, safe easy to set up option (what brands are good?)

is ebay an alright place to buy, or would I be best going to apple seller? I would consider purchsing second hand.

ANy help appreciated
:) :)

Jimbo
18th August 2004, 11:32 PM
all in one 40 gbb icecube 3.5" enclosure, they come in firewire, usb2 or both.

i've had mine over a year now, never missed a beAt and i use it whenever i use my mac, which is always...

Quamen
19th August 2004, 06:49 AM
Well you've got two choices really. You can get one based on a 2.5" hard drive (laptop drive) or one based on a 3.5" hard drive (normal desktop drive). If you go with the 3.5" drive it wil work out cheaper but you will definately need to have a power adaptor plugged into it. Some of the 2.5" drive based enclosures don't requre external power, but then the drives themselves are a lot more expensive.

Personally I'd go with the icecube as well. I just got one and it's sweet. Very simple to setup and get going. You just screw the drive into place, connect the power and IDE cable and screw the enclosure back together. Took 5 minutes to set it up.

As for what size hard drive. Depends if you want vaue for money? Ah who am I kidding, everyone wants value for money. So I'd recommend a 3.5" hard drive based enclosure. Right now I think the sweet spot for hard drives is around the 160GB mark when you work out the dollar per GB ratio.

I got my icecube 2 from epowermac.com.au, I don't know how their prices fair for enclosures that come with the hard drive installed already. Do some research. www.msy.com.au have the cheapest hardware prices that I know of.

zen
22nd August 2004, 06:28 PM
I've got a ZYNet 3.5" USB 2.0 & Firewire HDD External Enclosure and I've placed my old WD12000JB (120GB HDD) in it, works flawlessly and the build is incredibly solid (and it matches my Powerbook and speakers too!!)

http://www.nosegrind.com.au/images/info/zynet-35.jpg
more info here (http://www.nosegrind.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=76&products_id=485)

By using this discount code - OCA-0123 you can recieve 5% off the total of your order!

That's where I got it from anyway B)

*I Don't assosiate with that store in any ways... just posting those info out of my own interest to share*

zen
22nd August 2004, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Quamen@Aug 19 2004, 06:49 AM
Do some research. www.msy.com.au have the cheapest hardware prices that I know of.
Although they are only benifitial if you live in Melbourne or have someone there to purchase for you <_<

another word, they don&#39;t offer postage FULL STOP. don&#39;t even bother enquiering them about it as the last time I did, I&#39;ve been mildly abused :angry:

For cheapish hardware try http://www.pluscorp.com.au with
user - ocau
pass - overclocker

and just pretend your from OCAU (assuming most of us who browse this forum is also a frequent OCAU&#39;er) anyway to get the free postage on some items :ph34r: :P :P

Quamen
22nd August 2004, 07:37 PM
There are also msy stores in Sydney zen.

They don&#39;t offer postage but last time I checked they were happy to let you organize to have a courier pick up your stuff from them. Not sure how well that works in practical use though.

But either way their website is still a good source for the cheapest prices around. At least he&#39;ll be able to figure out if he&#39;s getting majorly ripped off by whatever store he decides to buy from.

benny gsr
22nd August 2004, 11:04 PM
I have noticed some are firewire 400, and some are firewire 800 (for a cost) Does it come down to how much time I;ve got ? How will FW 400 compare speed wise to an my ibook internal hard drive.

Thanks for the help guys.

Quamen
23rd August 2004, 06:45 AM
I&#39;m pretty sure your iBook only has a firewire 400 port so spending the extra cash on FW800 would be silly. Save the cash or put it towards a bigger hard drive to put in the eclosure.

Ozi
23rd August 2004, 11:35 AM
yep... no chance of an 500 mhz iBook having Firewire 800. Even the latest model iBook only has FW 400. :) unless you have another computer with FW800 you may want to use with it, or you want to upgrade your iBook to something with FW800 any time soon, don&#39;t bother buying that enclosure&#33;

sfcoy
23rd August 2004, 04:30 PM
I have an IceCube 800 that I purchased earlier in the year.

For curiosity sake, I benchmarked the disk i/o using both FW400 and FW800 on my 1.25G 15" Powerbook and the difference in thruput was negligible using a fast Western Digital disk drive with 8MB buffer.

Both are significantly faster than the built in disk.

USB 2.0 was about 35-40% of firewire.

On a different note I have observed that it is is better to get an enclosure with an external power pack. If the power supply is built-in, it will have a fan which will get noisy after a while (as the bearings deteriorate).

Steve Coy

benny gsr
23rd August 2004, 06:40 PM
Absolutely marvellous.

Kick ass info better than any biased store.

Thanks a lot guys. Appreciate it

I will be shortly looking at the ice cube with a HD in the vicinity of 100gb

Cam
23rd August 2004, 07:44 PM
No one has mentioned a iPod?

zen
24th August 2004, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Cam@Aug 23 2004, 07:44 PM
It&#39;s not exacly cheap then is it? Some people have a budget ;)

Cam
24th August 2004, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by zen+Aug 24 2004, 12:03 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (zen @ Aug 24 2004, 12:03 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Cam@Aug 23 2004, 07:44 PM
It&#39;s not exacly cheap then is it? Some people have a budget ;) [/b][/quote]
But it multi functions as a music player.. You get what you paid for&#33;

estoyloco
24th August 2004, 08:52 AM
My advice - DONT get a USB2.0 ONLY device.. make sure you get FIREWIRE.

You can get cheap cases off ebay (but just make sure its got the OXFORD 911 chipset)

There is a company in melbourne that puts together a 120GB HDD in an enclosure for ~&#036;200, they are called NEXTSTEP computers in the greenguide..

But from ebay you can get a drive for <&#036;50delivered, and a 120GB HDD these days can be bought for ~&#036;130....

I think your best option is to get a good case.. spend some time on that...

p53
14th September 2004, 01:49 AM
Hi
I have two 3.5 hard drives sitting in front of me and I want to make one into an external drive.
They actually came with Windows PCs and are quite old (one is Quantum Fireball SE and the other is Quantam Fireball SL). Should they be ok to use with my PB primarily for backup and occasionally to transfer files to a Windows PC? I&#39;ll probably get an enclosure that has both FireWire 400 and USB 2.0
Thanks.

kim jong il
14th September 2004, 06:26 AM
p53, just wondering; what do the drives sound like? I realise it is not the best diagnostic but if either of them show signs of unusually loud bearing noise it might be best not to rely on them for backups. (I&#39;ve come to grief in the past. It can be distressing) If they sound OK they probably are. They condition of the drives will be influenced, to an extent, by how many hours they have on them. Spun up, not down. Idle hours do not really count. A thourough diagnostic will determine the condition of the media (most of these are commercial products although some should not be??)

Hope this is of some help

kim

Currawong
14th September 2004, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by p53@Sep 14 2004, 01:49 AM
Hi
I have two 3.5 hard drives sitting in front of me and I want to make one into an external drive.
They actually came with Windows PCs and are quite old (one is Quantum Fireball SE and the other is Quantam Fireball SL). Should they be ok to use with my PB primarily for backup and occasionally to transfer files to a Windows PC? I&#39;ll probably get an enclosure that has both FireWire 400 and USB 2.0
Thanks.
The problem with using an external HD on both a Mac and a PC is, Mac OS X can READ NTFS, but not write it, and the PC wont be able to read or write to the drive if it&#39;s Mac formatted, unless you have MacDrive installed on it.

Quamen
14th September 2004, 01:31 PM
That&#39;s not a problem Currawong if you format the drive with Fat32. You have to deal with a 4GB file limit though. Which can be a pain.

p53
15th September 2004, 02:50 PM
Thanks to everyone who replied. I was going to format them as FAT32. But I just remembered that they are very old disks (close to 10yr), it&#39;s been a while since they have been used. I&#39;m quite sure they are less than 10Gb so useless for backup.