PDA

View Full Version : Hotmail usage surges thanks to iOS 5 who uses Hotmail?

Liana Pappas
4th November 2011, 09:05 AM
Microsoft says mobile usage of its Hotmail webmail service has exploded (http://www.macworld.com.au/news/hotmail-mobile-usage-surges-thanks-to-ios-5-39614/) in the past week, thanks to Apple and the launch of iOS 5.

I still use my Hotmail accounts everyday, I can't bring myself to moving it over to Gmail.

Who else uses Hotmail? Or what email service are you using?

MrJesseRoss
4th November 2011, 09:10 AM
I'm surprised. People still use Hotmail? I only keep mine because of Messenger, and even then it's only out of habit. I don't think I've checked my Hotmail account for a few years now.

Liana Pappas
4th November 2011, 09:28 AM
haha to be honest I thought the same thing, people are shocked when I give them my email address and it's hotmail. I get the same response, "Move to Gmail", but I'm in my comfort zone.

mitty
4th November 2011, 09:44 AM
I'm surprised. People still use Hotmail?

Ditto. There is zero reason to keep using hotmail, in fact you could easily use gmail and keep your hotmail address but gradually change to the gmail address while accessing it all through the gmail interface.

I have friends who use their ISP supplied email address, the first question I ask is "what happens if you change ISP" or "what happens when you move and your email address stops working between premises. Then I just nag them constantly about getting a gmail account until they get one, usually just to shut me up.

younge
4th November 2011, 09:58 AM
I still use Hotmail. It sends me e-mails and I send some back. 'Nuff said.

supafly
4th November 2011, 10:37 AM
Hotmail has turned into my spam account...basically if I ever have to enter an email address onto a site but don't care enough to actually readwhat they will send me I use my Hotmail account. Up until you could change notification settings on Facebook I used Hotmail for all those notification emails to go.

Erwin
4th November 2011, 10:37 AM
I use Google Apps with my own domain - it's the goodness of Gmail, free, with your own domain. Win win.

supafly
4th November 2011, 10:38 AM
I use Google Apps with my own domain - it's the goodness of Gmail, free, with your own domain. Win win.

+1 to that. I have a few domains I manage with Gmail alone.

The_Hawk
4th November 2011, 01:12 PM
I have too many email addresses because of the different hats I wear in different areas of my life. Some are because of committee positions in a few clubs as will always be separate so I can hand them to the next person one day.

But yes, I still have a Hotmail address in that pile, although it's now retrieved via POP by my gmail account so I never have to check or empty it. (Not that it gets any mail anyway). Like most of you it's my MSN login and is handy to have to associate with any MS Live service... like my XBOX account :P

USA_iTunes
8th November 2011, 08:04 AM
Keep my hotmail account for MSN and a Windows Live login account for MSDN Developer network.

Have been using Gmail for years but it did scare me one time. Gmail said I violated something and closed the account. It took some hours and a long email to get it reinstated.

So the best option is to use Gmail as an interface and your own domain email accounts. You can keep emails in both in case one goes wrong

kyte
8th November 2011, 08:53 AM
I dont use my hotmail account, but I sometimes use my live.com account and only for messenger. I tried to move from gmail, but have found that the live/hotmail site is far too busy and distracting (and slow), and if I use my mail.app, whilst it collects mail fairly well, no matter what I tell it, or mail.app to do (ie delete when downloaded) it doesnt. It also doesnt even mark as read anything I download, so I have to use the website anyway. arghh. I've gone back to gmail, and I am still using my me.com account for close friends and family.

skyhawkmatthew
8th November 2011, 09:20 AM
I haven't used my Hotmail/Live account for several years - apart from one instance: some documents for work are stored on another person's Skydrive so I have to log in to access that.

Apart from that, my email is covered with a single iCloud account - with redirects in place from a few older Gmail and my old MobileMe account - so I can still receive email at all those addresses and send from the new one without a hassle!

LCGuy
8th November 2011, 11:10 AM
I used Hotmail from 1997 (yeah - I actually got a Hotmail address a few weeks before Hotmail got bought out by Microsoft!) and used Hotmail up to 2004 when I got a Gmail account. :) Hotmail is still wildly popular - mostly due to Windows Messenger, I have a lot of friends who still use it for that reason.

mitty
8th November 2011, 11:53 AM
^You don't even need an MSN/Live/whatever it's called these days account to use Windows Messenger, you can actually sign up with any email address you like, or at least you could.

supafly
8th November 2011, 11:55 AM
^You don't even need an MSN/Live/whatever it's called these days account to use Windows Messenger, you can actually sign up with any email address you like, or at least you could.

Thats correct. I use my Gmail for my Xbox Live account, works the same for MSN.

kerr
8th November 2011, 12:17 PM
I'm surprised. People still use Hotmail?
That's my reaction too.

I have friends who use their ISP supplied email address, the first question I ask is "what happens if you change ISP" or "what happens when you move and your email address stops working between premises. Then I just nag them constantly about getting a gmail account until they get one, usually just to shut me up.
That's exactly what I say to my friends. I got fed up MANY years ago with the poor spam filtering on Hotmail, which I have found to be just as poor with Optus email. I assume the spam filtering on Hotmail is better these days.

I have no idea why anyone uses an ISP email account. Who really wants an address @ bigpond?

Currawong
9th November 2011, 11:31 PM
I'm in much the same situation: I use GMail now as I have domains. Some of them receive mail from busy mailing lists, so the threading is very welcome.

I did see the iPad/mobile version of the new Yahoo Mail recently and it was very good though.