PDA

View Full Version : Best way to update a congested panther install?

forgie
27th November 2005, 05:44 PM
My mum's Powerbook is in a bit of a chaotic state - she has backups of backups and folders of old documents from years back. She wants to upgrade to Tiger, and consolidate all her files and documents.

Firstly, she wants to buy Tiger, but lives in the country where there's no way to buy it locally. I'm staying with her at the moment and have my iBook Tiger DVD(/CD?)s with me. Can I use these discs to install Tiger on her powerbook?

If I copy her entire user folder onto my iBook (via firewire), will I be able to import all of her personal data into the new installation? In other words, will I be able to go into Mail, go to import, then go to her old backed up user folder on my iBook (via firewire or ethernet or whatever) and import all her data again?

All she uses is the standard OSX software, Office, and Quicken, which she has the install CDs for.

applecollector
27th November 2005, 07:02 PM
Whats the specs of her Powerbook?
Becuase minimum requirements for tiger is 512mb ram?

forgie
27th November 2005, 07:55 PM
Yeah she's got a 1.33, 512MB Ram. It'll do the job, and she'll probably get a ram upgrade soonish. She really wants the better syncing capabilities of Tiger and doesn't really care if everything runs a little slower.

What I really need to know is: will there be ANYTHING that I can't import from her old user folder? I'm talking passwords, data, everything here.

Currawong
27th November 2005, 08:09 PM
You'll be able to do an an Archive Install which includes preserving users and network settings, or just an upgrade. I'd choose the former over the latter. It wont touch anything other than stuff Apple installed for the most part.

forgie
27th November 2005, 08:26 PM
This is one seriously cluttered hard disk we're talking about here. And there's some dodgy preferences mucking up her syncing arrangements as well. A fresh start is very much preferable....

What exactly does an archive install leave/delete/replace?

forgie
27th November 2005, 08:41 PM
Well this plan stopped in it's tracks... the Tiger DVD says "This software cannot be installed on this computer."

Damnit.

I assume there's no nice way around this...

applecollector
27th November 2005, 09:39 PM
Well if it's a powerbook 1.33 why didnt the install work?

MichaelS
28th November 2005, 03:37 AM
You'll have to purchase a retail copy of Tiger. Your iBook Tiger install will not work on any Mac other than another iBook.

benny gsr
28th November 2005, 07:53 AM
One way you could (i'm not saying you should) do it, is connect a firewire cable to your ibook. Shut the PBook down, and have the ibook running. Once connected, restart the Pbook, and launch target disk mode. The Pbook will appear as an external disk on your desktop.

Conduct the install from the Ibook, onto the "external hard disk".

pipsqeek
28th November 2005, 07:58 AM
Even if the iBook install discs were to work on the PB, it's illegal, and not right.

Cheers
pipsqeek

stevejay
28th November 2005, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by applecollector@Nov 27 2005, 07:02 PM
Whats the specs of her Powerbook?
Becuase minimum requirements for tiger is 512mb ram?
Rubbish, Tiger runs fine on my eMac and it's only got 384Mb. I can get up to 20 audio tracks in Garage Band averaging 2 to 3 DSP effects on each channel with the only the software tracks needing to be locked. I think that proves 512Mb is a "recommended" not a "required" figure.