PDA

View Full Version : PB 15'' plays DVD's but ejects cd's immediatley.

hibbard
26th November 2005, 05:43 AM
Hi Wise People

I am a little perplexed with my situation. For a while my Powerbook has been not reading some blank cd's. Recently I tried to burn a blank cd and almost straight away the cd comes back out. This happened with three different blank cd's but not with a commercial DVD. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I have used 'pilot' in cocktail, reloaded 10.4.3 combo updater and these things haven't helped.

morpheme2004
26th November 2005, 09:12 AM
Hate to break it to you, but it sounds to me like your disc drive is dying. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Byrd
26th November 2005, 10:42 AM
Get a can of compressed air and with the PB off, blow air into the slot of the optical drive. Could be some dust etc. in the way of things.

Notebook drives in general are pickier about blank media - are you using a different brand from before at all?

If all else fails and it's under warranty - take it back. If out of warranty, replacement optical drives are fairly cheap and installed without too much hassle.

JB

hibbard
26th November 2005, 01:29 PM
Hey Team

I hope it isn't dying... and it is out of warranty... but I'll try the compressed air thing - that sounds like fun. I'm in Singapore today, and don't have any other tools with me. I am going to try a Apple over here in the Funan Centre. Will advise the outcome for sure!

Graham