PDA

View Full Version : Several iOS 5 questions that are confusing me.

PCKid
17th October 2011, 01:16 PM
What we have in house is 2 iMacs (one running Vista permanently, my wife doesn't like os x), 2 iPads and 2 iPhones. Whole house is wireless N 300.

1. We have always shared the same Apple ID (mine). Therefore her Mac has all her apps on it and of course we have them all authorised and Home Sharing on. Now with iCloud does she need a separate Apple ID and if so how will that affect her first time she syncs with her Mac?

2. If we go all iCloud (at the moment I have turned off iCloud Backup and Storage and only have Reminders, Bookmarks and Photostream turned on as I've had duplicate issues with Calendar, Contacts and Mail).

3. In iTunes - Summary do you now untick Open iTunes when I connect my device and tick the next box to Sync automatically via WiFi?

4. This iCloud working in the background all the time is that going to affect my Broadband speed whilst we work on our Macs? I know I have to stop all Downloading on my Mac if I want to work on the Internet.

5. I always have ticked the "Manage Music and Videos" manually box. How does the iCloud handle that?

6. If we both have total iCloud together working what are we going to double up on? We do mainly use our iPhones and iPads. How de we prevent the 5GB blow out? Can we leave Backup and Storage off and still do that Manually via a sync without stuffing up the whole iCloud thing?

7. Finally (sorry I know there's a lot here but this is the best place to come for answers) are there any good iOS 5 guides out there yet? I've found some good ones on AppleNApps as the best so far but assume there will be other more comprehensive ones.

NeoRicen
17th October 2011, 01:46 PM
1. She can keep using your Apple ID for purchases, by signing in there in Settings > Store and create a new iCloud account for her email/Calendar etc. They won't come into conflict.

2. Sorry, what's the question?

3. You can have both ticked, they won't conflict.

4. No, not really. It'll only backup when you plug into charge (unless you choose to do it manually), and apart from the very first one, they'll all be pretty small.

5. iCloud has nothing to do with syncing in iTunes. To sync all your songs to your devices you'll either need iTunes Match, which isn't available yet, or you'll need to keep syncing to iTunes. Not much has changes here. Any song purchase you make will be downloaded to all your devices automatically (including iTunes), unless you turn that option off in Settings >Store.

6. Don't have a single iCloud account unless you want to share email/calenders/contacts. Keep one account for purchases (your existing ID) and share that, but have separate accounts for your backups/mail etc.

To avoid hitting the 5GB you can choose what to backup in Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backups > Manage Storage and choose your device. There you can choose what you want to backup, turn off anything you don't need. The most likely culprits for excessive usage are the Camera Roll, if you take a lot of pictures and never download it to iPhoto/Aperture/Pictures folder and apparently some magazine apps which will try to backup whole issues, even though you can probably redownload them. You probably won't have much of an issue though. My iPad backup for example is a mere 251MB.

Otherwise, just buy more.

7. Apple's iCloud help (http://help.apple.com/icloud/index.html?lang=en) is pretty straightforward for iCloud stuff. Don't know about iOS5 itself, but reviews generally explain things well.

Generally speaking, I think sharing accounts is probably a bad idea. Apple seems blind to people who want to do things this way, and AppleIDs/iCloud/App Store etc. are all designed for individuals. Part of this is probably that the Music/Movie/TV people don't want people sharing AppleIDs and not paying multiple times for their content, and since the same account is used for everything else, you end up with a situation where they don't work well for sharing.

PCKid
17th October 2011, 04:17 PM
1. She can keep using your Apple ID for purchases, by signing in there in Settings > Store and create a new iCloud account for her email/Calendar etc. They won't come into conflict.

2. Sorry, what's the question?

3. You can have both ticked, they won't conflict.

4. No, not really. It'll only backup when you plug into charge (unless you choose to do it manually), and apart from the very first one, they'll all be pretty small.

5. iCloud has nothing to do with syncing in iTunes. To sync all your songs to your devices you'll either need iTunes Match, which isn't available yet, or you'll need to keep syncing to iTunes. Not much has changes here. Any song purchase you make will be downloaded to all your devices automatically (including iTunes), unless you turn that option off in Settings >Store.

6. Don't have a single iCloud account unless you want to share email/calenders/contacts. Keep one account for purchases (your existing ID) and share that, but have separate accounts for your backups/mail etc.

To avoid hitting the 5GB you can choose what to backup in Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backups > Manage Storage and choose your device. There you can choose what you want to backup, turn off anything you don't need. The most likely culprits for excessive usage are the Camera Roll, if you take a lot of pictures and never download it to iPhoto/Aperture/Pictures folder and apparently some magazine apps which will try to backup whole issues, even though you can probably redownload them. You probably won't have much of an issue though. My iPad backup for example is a mere 251MB.

Otherwise, just buy more.

7. Apple's iCloud help (http://help.apple.com/icloud/index.html?lang=en) is pretty straightforward for iCloud stuff. Don't know about iOS5 itself, but reviews generally explain things well.

Generally speaking, I think sharing accounts is probably a bad idea. Apple seems blind to people who want to do things this way, and AppleIDs/iCloud/App Store etc. are all designed for individuals. Part of this is probably that the Music/Movie/TV people don't want people sharing AppleIDs and not paying multiple times for their content, and since the same account is used for everything else, you end up with a situation where they don't work well for sharing.

Wow thanks for such a quick and informative reply. After re reading item 2 it IS a statement isn't it? ;0) I shall pretend I never wrote it. I pretty much asked the question of it elsewhere and you gave me the answer. I clearly wasn't aware that the iCloud ID is separate from ones Apple ID. Once again thanks for clearing all that up