PDA

View Full Version : Box.net now with free 50GB account

Dust For Eyes
15th October 2011, 08:33 AM
In a move that is probably a reaction to the launch of iCloud, Box.net has announced that you can get a free account with 50 gigs worth of storage if you sign up via an iOS device.

More info here:

Get Free 50GB Of Storage For Life On Box.Net – If You’re An iPhone, iPad Or iPod Touch User | Lifehacker Australia (http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2011/10/get-free-50gb-of-storage-for-life-on-box-net-if-youre-an-iphone-ipad-or-ipod-touch-user/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+LifehackerAustralia+%28Lifeha cker+Australia%29)

kerr
15th October 2011, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the heads-up.

box.net were doing this for the HP TouchPad.

kyte
18th October 2011, 01:59 PM
I did it a couple of days ago. 50G free is not to be sneezed at, and its a good replacement for dropbox and most of the others. I think my dropbox, zumodrive and maybe sugarsync (although thats very useful for lots of other things) may well go the way of the dodo.

mwot
18th October 2011, 06:20 PM
Is there no free box.net client for Mac? I couldn't see one on the box.net website ... but I could be blind.

Erwin
18th October 2011, 07:46 PM
Note that unlike Dropbox you can't sync to this unless you upgrade to the premium account.

kyte
18th October 2011, 09:01 PM
I just want the storage, and no mwot, no freebies for mac. Only iOS. Doesnt mean you cant store, you just cant sync.

VALANDI
19th October 2011, 12:16 AM
Fantastic stuff!

mwot
19th October 2011, 07:21 AM
I just want the storage, and no mwot, no freebies for mac. Only iOS. Doesnt mean you cant store, you just cant sync.

Ok. It's still attractive, even without the sync. Coupled with my (paid) 60GB Sugarsync account, I could still make good use of this offer. Thanks for highlighting it.

kyte
19th October 2011, 07:54 AM
Yeah, I think its an excellent deal I also prefer Sugarsync, but I'm only on the free one, and have got 4G extra from ppl signing up with my link. Dropbox is good for some things too. I just dont think you can have enough places to store stuff online. Just in case. Multiple redundancies.

Brewster
21st October 2011, 09:49 AM
A really good find and looks fine except for the 100Mb file size limit : (

mwot
21st October 2011, 09:56 AM
I thought I saw it up to 1GB file size limit? At least, that's how I read their little scale:

5GB acct => 25Mb file size limit
25GB to 50GB => 1GB file size limit

Or was there some fine print (that I missed) with this offer that the max size is capped at 100Mb?

avolve
24th October 2011, 06:30 AM
Straight from the Lifehacker pice

Basically anyone who uses a Box Personal account on an iOS device will get this upgraded free storage space (increased from the usual 5GB of free space usually doled out). According to Box.netís blog post introducing the offer (http://blog.box.net/2011/10/12/were-giving-ios-users-insane-amounts-of-free-storage-box50gb/), youíll also get an increased file size upload limit of 100MB instead of 25MB.

The file size limit is in bold on the Box.net post

kyte
26th October 2011, 04:41 PM
I thought I saw it up to 1GB file size limit? At least, that's how I read their little scale:

5GB acct => 25Mb file size limit
25GB to 50GB => 1GB file size limit

Or was there some fine print (that I missed) with this offer that the max size is capped at 100Mb?

Those are only for the paid accounts. This 50G is a special which is free... that 5G is the normal freebie, so being able to upload 100mb files instead of 25mb is pretty good.