PDA

View Full Version : iCloud Master Issues Thread

Devil rolla
12th October 2011, 08:42 AM
Just so its all centralised and such.

So today my mrs asked me who's number was messaging her. I checked it and it was a guy I had in my phone, except he did message her he imessaged me. We are both on the same AppleID and as such all imessages are sync'd across all the devices that use my AppleID.
I have a spare ID which I setup for her, and moved her store ID to that one but I am sure there are going to be more issues like this.

Also - we have an AppleTV 2, and I know that we can get our photostream to show as the AppleTV 2 screensaver, but my mrs takes all the photo's of our kid on her phone ( now on her appleID ) and the appletv is set to my appleID as it has itunes credit for shows and movies we watch. So how is that going to work ?

I see alot more people calling / going to apple stores with all these questions to, its just having iOS5 already I am running into them now. Anyone have idea's or iCloud issues they have found ?

rav3n
12th October 2011, 08:57 AM
every few hours for about 5 minutes mail on my mbp running 10.7.2 beta, iphone and ipad on ios5 gm all reject my icloud password, but then it just magically starts working again. If apple fix that i'll be quite happy.

Devil rolla
12th October 2011, 09:02 AM
iCloud pulling / sync'n data you think ?

rav3n
12th October 2011, 09:07 AM
Seems to indicate its atleast trying to sync something, still doesnt explain why it rejects my password.

forno
12th October 2011, 09:46 AM
Ever since iOs 5 Beta, I get an incorrect password alert for mobile me, simply tapping in the password field and then hitting done solves it. Still happends with the GM
Painful!

Steve_D
12th October 2011, 09:55 AM
I have been having the similar issue all morning.

Have done the move to iCloud but it keeps saying i have to go to me.com to change my data over.

Im guessing that its just a matter of time before everything is working correctly. Just frustrating in the mean time.

PCKid
12th October 2011, 10:42 AM
I have the gm of iOS 5 running on my iPhone 4 and iPad 2. Have turned off Calendar, Mail and Contacts in iCloud as I was getting duplicates all over the place. But left Reminders and Photo Streaming on. Neither are working. Photos I've taken on my iPhone are not appearing on my iPad and reminders I've set on my iPhone are not updating on my iPad. Do you HAVE to have iCloud Storage and Backup turned on for this to work? I'm not sold on iCloud yet. Seems to be more trouble than its worth at this stage. I do like the PHoto streaming part and Reminders nice but can live without it. The rest I reckon manual cable syncing is better unless someone can convince me otherwise. Also Reminders Location thing is so limited. Why no option to use Googlemaps to find a location? If I want it to alert me when I get to my local Shopping Centre I have to create a Contact for it in my Address Book. Pretty lame if you ask me.

iDoctor_Who
12th October 2011, 10:51 AM

whoops, misunderstood the question. My bad. :sick:

Steve_D
12th October 2011, 11:09 AM
Photos I've taken on my iPhone are not appearing on my iPad and reminders I've set on my iPhone are not updating on my iPad. Do you HAVE to have iCloud Storage and Backup turned on for this to work?
Currently the servers are overloaded, give them some time to catch up. People on other forums are finding that it can take up to 20 mins to complete sync. Once the initial load is reduced these times should improve.

I'm not sold on iCloud yet. Seems to be more trouble than its worth at this stage.

Its officially been out for.... well technically its not officially launched until 10.7.2 goes live.... but you can log into iCloud.com now (ignore the dev part).

Again give it some time to settle, there is no point making your mind up after 2 hours when the service is not running at optimal.

evmorg
12th October 2011, 11:53 AM
I gather one of the main problems having two AppleIDs on one Mac means you can only auto-download for one of them. You can't have multiple AppleIDs on a Mac and use the auto download (or iTunes match, I guess) for all of them. So if you have, say, a US and an Australian account - choose which one you want to be the auto download ID and manually sync the other. Which sucks.

Devil rolla
12th October 2011, 12:12 PM
Also - I have both AppleID's auth on my itunes at home, but if only 1 ID can be used for itunes match, my mrs wont be able to use it, unless i switch her back to my ID - but then she gets every iMessage I send and receive... *Headache

dotnet
12th October 2011, 12:14 PM
Is this thread about issues in the various beta versions? As far as I can tell none of this stuff has been released yet.

Cheers
Steffen.

Mael
12th October 2011, 12:19 PM
We have 7 Apple devices that all use the same iTunes ID.

A world of hurt is coming our way, I can feel it. This has the potential to make the Mobile ME debacle look like a cakewalk.

Fo the past 5-6 years we as a family have only ever used 1 account to purchase our stuff.

Devil rolla
12th October 2011, 12:31 PM
Dotnet - this thread is here for all iCloud issues, problems and fixes that can be had.

Mael - I cringe for you already.

Steve_D
12th October 2011, 01:00 PM
Well i can happily say that both of my phones work with the iCloud update and the only thing i can see an issue with atm is photo stream but i have not set that up with Aperture or iPhoto or whatever it works with so again not really an issue.

Strangely though my email is coming through faster than it did when it was a MobileMe account (now its iCloud). Guess thats one positive.

PCKid
12th October 2011, 01:13 PM
It appears I need to turn on iCloud backup on for photo streaming to work. when I do it says it will no longer do a backup automatically when i sync via cable. But surely I can still right click and do a manual backup when I sun manually.

forno
12th October 2011, 02:25 PM
so can I get an xx@icloud.com email address?

SLY
12th October 2011, 04:09 PM
I posted this issue in another thread, I have an iphone and ipad, my 6yo son has my old iphone and ipad, all 4 devices use the same iTunes username and libary, I think I may have to be careful what photos and videos I take if they are automaticly synced to his...

Surely they have given the option not to auto sync?

If not its a smart way to make everyone have their own iTunes account and not be able to share other than home sharing

Steve_D
12th October 2011, 04:35 PM
so can I get an xx@icloud.com email address?
Nope its a me.com address

---------- Post added at 05:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:03 PM ----------

Surely they have given the option not to auto sync?

You can go into the iCloud options and turn off things that you don't want to share.

You can also set parental controls so that they can not access particular things too from what i was reading the other day. But i haven't needed to use this feature so haven't bothered to look into it more.

dotnet
12th October 2011, 04:38 PM
It looks like the developer badge is gone now from the iCloud.com login page.

Facing the choice between using the Apple ID (iTunes account) and the MobileMe (me.com) account with iCloud, what do people do? Use the iTunes account or the MobileMe account, or merge them somehow?

Cheers
Steffen.

Steve_D
12th October 2011, 04:43 PM
you can just use your me.com account for the mail and sync side of things plus any future apps. and all the apps that you have already downloaded via your iTunes account will still sync and work as long as you remember the password.

That way you won't have to miss out on anything, or at least until they work out how to merge iTunes accounts officially.

Personally i just stopped using my old iTunes account, re bought any apps that i thought were worth buying (under $5) and any not worth it (over $5) i just kept on my old login. Now everything is finally working on my me.com.

And before anyone complains about their music, remember that Apple removed the DRM from their music tracks a long time ago. But if you never changed them over there are plenty of free apps on the net to do this for you, just have to use the googles.

lostom
12th October 2011, 04:46 PM
It looks like the developer badge is gone now from the iCloud.com login page.

Facing the choice between using the Apple ID (iTunes account) and the MobileMe (me.com) account with iCloud, what do people do? Use the iTunes account or the MobileMe account, or merge them somehow?

Cheers

Steffen.

I was under the impression that apple were not merging accounts, which if right, is a royal pain in the preverbial.
I use the same ( me and iTunes acc) so Im also wondering about this??

petersracing
12th October 2011, 04:49 PM

I had read that we were going to have a mechanism for reintegrating our schitzoid identities. I've been watching but seen no more on that. I'll use my apple ID first and then try and integrate my me.com ID

Devil rolla
12th October 2011, 04:50 PM
We started an iCloud all problems thread here.
http://www.mactalk.com.au/56/104560-icloud-master-issues-thread.html

danelaban
12th October 2011, 05:04 PM
There seems to be a lot of people confused about sharing an Apple ID for AppStore purchases and iCloud syncing. It is possible to use a common Apple ID over multiple devices for AppStore purchases (for example, between a family) and then use separate iCloud accounts to avoid photo stream, iMessage, etc. syncing on un-wanted devices. I believe this is configured through iOS settings and I'm trying to find a link to a guide showing how to do this.

EDIT: Found a link : Configuring iCloud on Your iOS 5 Device | Maciverse (http://www.maciverse.com/configuring-icloud-on-your-ios-5-device.html)

MrJesseRoss
12th October 2011, 05:59 PM
I'm still waiting for the email to verify my Apple ID (not MobileMe, just the one I use for iTunes) so I can login to iCloud. Sigh..

Edit: Hah, turned out that my normal email address was associated with my iTunes account as the primary address, but was also the AppleID for an account I'd set up on the Apple Store. A bit of fiddling had it all fixed up so it's all together again, and now I can sign in. However, because I don't have iOS 5 installed, or an iCloud preferences option in Lion, I'm stuck until updates are released. That was fun! :D

markpalavra
12th October 2011, 06:08 PM
Yeah, I still can't access iCloud at all?

I enter my apple ID in the iCloud section on my iPhone, and it says to go to me.com to transfer it, but there is no option at me.com to transfer to iCloud, or am I missing something here?

KlaasVisser
12th October 2011, 06:20 PM
Yeah, I still can't access iCloud at all?

I enter my apple ID in the iCloud section on my iPhone, and it says to go to me.com to transfer it, but there is no option at me.com to transfer to iCloud, or am I missing something here?

I'm trying via the web page, and when I get to www.me.com/move it states my account isn't yet eligible, it's only allowing developer accounts to migrate

markpalavra
12th October 2011, 06:47 PM
I'm trying via the web page, and when I get to www.me.com/move it states my account isn't yet eligible, it's only allowing developer accounts to migrate

I ended up being able to migrate my account from iCloud.com ... which redirected me to me.com/move/

Backing up my iPhone to iCloud now... :\

chaosboi
12th October 2011, 07:01 PM
I'm guessing my issue is a common one...I have two apple ID's - 'blah' which is my iTunes id and blah@mac.com ID, although this is only used for the apple support forums. iCloud wants me to convert my 'blah' Apple ID to an email address, but as blah@mac.com already is a separate ID, it won't let me.
What to do?

(blah - is not really my user id!)

KlaasVisser
12th October 2011, 07:56 PM
I'm guessing my issue is a common one...I have two apple ID's - 'blah' which is my iTunes id and blah@mac.com ID, although this is only used for the apple support forums. iCloud wants me to convert my 'blah' Apple ID to an email address, but as blah@mac.com already is a separate ID, it won't let me.
What to do?

(blah - is not really my user id!)

Same situation - id1 for iTunes, and id2@me.com - reading up on it, you use the id2@me.com to migrate the MobileMe account to iCloud, and continue to use id1 to log into iTunes.

From what I've read, iTunes in the Cloud is not tied to an iCloud login, but I'm reading between the lines, and can only say that when I go to my iTunes account details in iTunes, it tells me that the iTunes account has two devices set for iTunes in the cloud (laptop and iPhone), and I've already been downloading past purchases that I deleted, on my iPhone, which is still running 4.3.5.

Won't know for sure until I've been able to migrate me.com account to iCloud, and then see what happens.

Joey1983
12th October 2011, 10:09 PM
You can continue running two separate ID's. On your iPhone / iPad it lets you set up one as your mail / contacts / calendar etc. and there's a separate section in Settings -> Store where you can log in using your store ID for purchases etc.

MrJesseRoss
12th October 2011, 11:23 PM
That's the problem I had. I had to change the primary email address and AppleID of the account I didn't want to use to a variation of my email, which freed up my regular address so I could rename my iTunes account ID.

Instead of using a completely different email though, I just added +appleid to my existing address. 'example+appleid@gmail.com'. So the system identified it as a new address but I still received the verification requests.

skyhawkmatthew
13th October 2011, 06:18 AM
Anyone else having trouble migrating to iCloud? I keep getting this error - I guess I'll just have to come back later!
http://f.cl.ly/items/1P3c0P3v0v2S0Y2S122O/Screen%20Shot%202011-10-13%20at%207.08.00%20AM.png

forno
13th October 2011, 07:58 AM
I have just gone through the migrate from mobileme to icloud process, but I have not seen the pop up on either of my devices??

Does this take a while or should it be straight away?

EDIT: helps if your devices are signed into the right account:innocent:

leon
13th October 2011, 08:32 AM
Anyone else having trouble migrating to iCloud? I keep getting this error - I guess I'll just have to come back later!
http://f.cl.ly/items/1P3c0P3v0v2S0Y2S122O/Screen%20Shot%202011-10-13%20at%207.08.00%20AM.png

I've been having that for quite a few hours now.
Will try tomorrow I guess as the servers are just getting slammed.

Mael
13th October 2011, 09:00 AM
There seems to be a lot of people confused about sharing an Apple ID for AppStore purchases and iCloud syncing. It is possible to use a common Apple ID over multiple devices for AppStore purchases (for example, between a family) and then use separate iCloud accounts to avoid photo stream, iMessage, etc. syncing on un-wanted devices. I believe this is configured through iOS settings and I'm trying to find a link to a guide showing how to do this.

EDIT: Found a link : Configuring iCloud on Your iOS 5 Device | Maciverse (http://www.maciverse.com/configuring-icloud-on-your-ios-5-device.html)

That's a great link danelaban, that calms my nerves somewhat.

Blaqjaq
13th October 2011, 09:08 AM
Hi All :)

Currently trying to Migrate from my old MobileMe account to iCloud, i'm running iOS 5 on my iPhone 4 and 10.7.2 on both MBA and iMac, yet i'm still getting the attached message when I go to process after clicking through the prompts at me.com/move

your thoughts?

https://www.me.com/ro/jamesjeffery/Galleries/100011/Screen%20Shot%202011-10-13%20at%207.04.11%20AM.png?derivative=medium&source=web.png&type=medium&protocol=roap&item=galleries&asset=media&ver=13184608730001

babypoppop
13th October 2011, 09:11 AM
same here. i think the server is just too busy handling too many things at the same time at the moment. so just wait a little while longer before you attempt to migrate again.

vernflan
13th October 2011, 09:12 AM
Mine swapped me over to icloud from mobileme but deleted all my contacts in the process

Devil rolla
13th October 2011, 09:23 AM
so after reading danelaban's link from above,
Configuring iCloud on Your iOS 5 Device | Maciverse (http://www.maciverse.com/configuring-icloud-on-your-ios-5-device.html)

I get it abit more now / appleID / iCloud ID. But I still want my wifes iPhone to show up on my Find my iPhone but that doesn't seem possible if she is using her appleID for iCloud and my appleID for the "store".

LevMac
13th October 2011, 09:39 AM
Mine swapped me over to icloud from mobileme but deleted all my contacts in the process

Mine transferred from MobileME to iCloud, but only moved my emails and calendar events across ?

Luckily enough, my contacts are still on my phone, but they haven't been moved to iCloud ???

grfxninja
13th October 2011, 10:11 AM
had the same issue, but just kept trying periodically and after about 5 attempts, its all set up nicely

skyhawkmatthew
13th October 2011, 10:55 AM
Mine transferred from MobileME to iCloud, but only moved my emails and calendar events across ?

Luckily enough, my contacts are still on my phone, but they haven't been moved to iCloud ???

Guys, you were told this when you did the migration on the me.com/move site. :)

My migration is finally working! :D

KlaasVisser
13th October 2011, 11:03 AM
From the MobileMe support site :(

System Status

MobileMe Moving from MobileMe to iCloud
Due to high demand, we are temporarily limiting the number of users moving from MobileMe to iCloud. Please try again later. We apologize for any inconvenience.

forno
13th October 2011, 11:40 AM
Guys, you were told this when you did the migration on the me.com/move site. :)

My migration is finally working! :D

Agreed, first thing I did was turn of mobileme sync on my iMac and back up contacts & bookmarks

Devil rolla
13th October 2011, 12:09 PM
How do I get my mac mini to show up in find my mac ?
i've enabled it in icloud sys prefs and enable location services is ticked also...?

DJY
13th October 2011, 03:25 PM
I'm glad I've waited now!

Got up this morning - and was hoping to do it all...
but with 2 x iPhones, and iPad and iPod... all off a Mac Book Air
Mac 10.7.2 + iOS 5 + how many zillion customers all going to try it at once?!?!?!
Oh yes then throw in moving MobileMe to iCloud.

I've grabbed iTunes 10.5... and sitting and watching.
Will back up everything prior to trying anything. (both new Time Machine & clone HDD)
Will also (as I've done in the past) save archive / separate copies of all my Contacts, Calendars, externally...

then over the weekend I think I will hit the GO button.

kyte
13th October 2011, 04:20 PM
Did the migration just a while ago, no problems, after a day of "try later". The American contingent must finally have gone to bed.

bosc0
13th October 2011, 05:54 PM
I'm struggling to switch it over now. High demand blah blah blah.

Does anyone see any issues with moving (when i'm able to) a second @me email under my family account to iCloud prior to the master account?
My wife and i use this email for quite a few things and don't want to loose it. I definatly don't want it to be my AppleID, which it shouldn't right?

VALANDI
13th October 2011, 09:52 PM
Guys i need help. Its killing me...

So my apple id is my isp email... I have had the same id for years username@adam.com.au but i also have a @me.com account for around 2 years now. I tried turning icloud on and it loged in with my apple id but in order to turn on mail and notes it does not sllow me to use my me.com account as its a 'taken' username and requires a new username... Wtf?

Anyone know what i can do?

NeoRicen
13th October 2011, 10:01 PM
If you already have an @me account it will become it's own iCloud account, and the address cannot be merged into another iCloud account.

Basically they need to stay separate, as they already are, the only difference being you can create a new @me.com email to go with your other AppleID.

woofy
13th October 2011, 10:47 PM
Seriously find the icloud to be incredibly messy. We have shared the same Apple ID for store purchases and have a joint mobilme account so all our contacts and calenders are synched. We have to use the same Apple ID if we want purchases synched over all the devices but the messages like you said get sent to both phones....sigh.....its like they deliberately are making it painful to have access to the same stuff now.

VALANDI
13th October 2011, 11:00 PM
If you already have an @me account it will become it's own iCloud account, and the address cannot be merged into another iCloud account.

Basically they need to stay separate, as they already are, the only difference being you can create a new @me.com email to go with your other AppleID.

thank you but that doesn't help... my @me.com account IS separate to my Apple ID (Private ISP address) i do not use the @me.com account for purchasing and stuff... all i want to do is use my @me.com account as my icloud... or do i simply just need to create another friggin email?

NeoRicen
13th October 2011, 11:31 PM
Seriously find the icloud to be incredibly messy. We have shared the same Apple ID for store purchases and have a joint mobilme account so all our contacts and calenders are synched. We have to use the same Apple ID if we want purchases synched over all the devices but the messages like you said get sent to both phones....sigh.....its like they deliberately are making it painful to have access to the same stuff now.
AppleID's have always, always, been made for use by individuals. The only thing that makes iCloud more difficult is iMessages, which obviously won't work for shared accounts.

This makes perfect sense if you treat AppleIDs as Apple intends, which is for individuals.

However, there may be hope. I have yet to try this, as I am the sole user of my devices/AppleID, but this may work, and seems to, based on me sending the to myself under various circumstances (no one I know has upgraded):

Go to Settings > Messages > Receive At

Here you can tell your device how to receive iMessages. By default your AppleID email address will be the one here, but, you can remove this email.

If you do this, iMessages sent to that address will not be received on that device (even if that AppleID is being used for the service). Great, so that means your wife/husband/whoever won't receive iMessages sent to you, but obviously they'll still want to use the service.

What you do now then, is go on their device, where you've removed the main AppleID address, and simply add an email address that they own (any will do). They will then get an email at that address asking them to allow that address to be used as a contact address for their AppleID.

Now you are able to send an iMessage to that address and they will receive it on their device, but your other devices won't receive it!

In short, go to your Messages setting and set different email addresses for each device. They don't have to be AppleIDs or iCloud accounts or anything, the just needs to be able to verify it for use as a contact address.

Example scenario:

A husband and wife share an AppleID for purchases and contacts/calenders/apps, but don't want to both receive the same iMessages. All they need to do is go onto their devices, change their iMessage receive addresses to their personal email addresses and verify them for use. Now they can use their personal emails as iMessage addresses and never have to worry about receiving the other's messages.

I hope I've made this clear, since I literally figured all this out as I was writing, but I think it is a solution for the iMessage problem on shared accounts.

---------- Post added at 12:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 AM ----------

thank you but that doesn't help... my @me.com account IS separate to my Apple ID (Private ISP address) i do not use the @me.com account for purchasing and stuff... all i want to do is use my @me.com account as my icloud... or do i simply just need to create another friggin email?
What you need to do is go to iCloud, sign in with your @me (MobileMe) account details and it will offer to move your MobileMe account to iCloud. This will give your @me account the iCloud features.

However, this ultimately means you have two separate iCloud accounts. The one with all your past purchases, and the @me.com account. You will not be able to merge the two.

---------- Post added at 12:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 AM ----------

Dammit.

Just realised the problem with my iMessage 'solution'.

If you're using an iPad/iPod you're presumably still going to be sending them from the same address. Not sure about the iPhone though, where it's sent from if you have an email and number.

VALANDI
13th October 2011, 11:49 PM
so basically you are saying that if i log into icloud on my devices using my normal Apple ID i will need to then create a @me to link to it... and i wont be able to use my already established @me account to use same apps and stuff... grrr

so confused lol

NeoRicen
13th October 2011, 11:51 PM
so basically you are saying that if i log into icloud on my devices using my normal Apple ID i will need to then create a @me to link to it... and i wont be able to use my already established @me account to use same apps and stuff... grrr

so confused lol
Correct.

But isn't that the situation you're in now anyway?

VALANDI
13th October 2011, 11:58 PM
yes spot on... why can't apple allow me to just use my existing me.com account? it already has most my data on there...

is there a way i can transfer all my purchases from @adam.com.au account to my @me.com?

NeoRicen
14th October 2011, 12:09 AM
yes spot on... why can't apple allow me to just use my existing me.com account? it already has most my data on there...

You can still transfer your @me.com account to iCloud and use that for email and calendars etc. simply by adding it as an account under Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars and keep your @adam.com.au address for purchases by signing into it in Settings > Store.

You'll need to pick only one for other iCloud duties though (Backup/Reminders/Bookmarks/Notes/Photo Stream etc.).

is there a way i can transfer all my purchases from @adam.com.au account to my @me.com?
Nope.

VALANDI
14th October 2011, 12:22 AM
ohhhhhhhhhhhhh!

lol... right! i get it now... BEST! so my @adam wil reain as my 'store' id and me @me will do everything else!

thanks for the help NeoRicen

billenya
14th October 2011, 06:19 AM
Is it just me, or is there no option to delete individual photos that go to photo stream, at least on iPhone?

skyhawkmatthew
14th October 2011, 06:30 AM
That's right- I can't see an option to delete photos from PS on the iPhone, iPad, or from Aperture.

DJY
14th October 2011, 12:30 PM
ok so I upgraded to iTuned 10.5
I then put iOS 5 on 2 x iPhones and 1 x iPad 2.
Then upgraded to Mac Book Air to 10.7.2

Got a day of try again later attempting to migrate from MobileMe to iCloud...
but this morning I thought I'd try again.

Seems to have migrated me via web.... and I received that dialog box notification on my iPhone and iPad - but not my Mac Book Air.

System Prefs MobileMe pane says it's been converted to iCloud.
iCloud pref pane won't log me in.
Under Mail, Contacts, and Calendars - it had that my [insert AppleID] is inactive, and not my primary iCloud account?!?!??!?!

Found a reference on the web to delete the entry and sign in (under the Mail, Contacts & Calendars pane) using my iCloud AppleID...
but it won't accept it? I've entered my AppleID and password, and is still thinking? I have that spinning circle next to the password line... no error, but it hasn't accepted it either?!?!!!

NO!!!!!
I had noticed my Contacts (via iCloud web) hasn't sync'd correctly - so I attempted to cross check them all and get them current (before I noticed my MBA wasn't fully signed in properly to iCloud).... so now I don't have any Mail in Mail.app, my Calendars are pushing out a password error... so I've closed Mail, Address Book, and iCal... hoping to get my AppleID and password accepted in the System Prefs.

I appreciate the Apple servers are probably still getting smashed... but my limbo land if it isn't resolved could produce significant data conflicts / errors.

Anyone else had this? Or anyone got any ideas?

---------- Post added at 01:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 PM ----------

Update from my above post.

I still can't sign in to iCloud on my Mac Book Air via System Prefs (either iCloud or Mail, Contacts & Calendars panes)
I can log on via iCloud website, and two iOS 5 devices seem to be receiving emails ok.

Anyone else had similar problems or got any ideas?

dotnet
14th October 2011, 01:14 PM
I've decided to retire my me.com account. It was going to go away next year anyway. I never used it much for email at all, mostly for syncing contacts, calendars, notes and bookmarks between Mac and iPhone.

Except for notes iCloud is taking care of that now, and notes I sync directly (via USB or WiFi). No big deal.

It took a number of restarts of both phone and Mac before the Mac-local copies of calendars and contacts made it into iCloud and back down to the phone but it is all done now and the me.com account is disabled everywhere. My Safari bookmarks haven't synced to the phone yet, but I'm sure that will sort itself out eventually. EDIT: And there they are! :)

Cheers
Steffen.

forno
14th October 2011, 01:19 PM
I was succesful with the following method.

1. turn mobileme auto sync off on my iMac.
2. back up iCal, Bookmarks and contacts
3. Software update.
4. Migrate mobileme to iCloud.
5. Sign in to iCloud with apple id, but use old mobileme email adress.

All items have synced properly and imessage is working too

bobsuncle2
14th October 2011, 02:38 PM
Slightly stupid question but.....
I have iPhone 4S and a macbook and I am unsure how to use iCloud to sync my calendar and contacts.
My understanding of iCloud was that I could add an event to my calendar in my iPhone and it would appear in my calendar on my mac wirelessly. With my old iPhone I just used to sync it via iTunes.

However it doesn't seem to be working like I would expect to, so I am wondering if I have the wrong settings turned on either on my iPhone, iTunes or in my mac systems preferences.

Help??

dotnet
14th October 2011, 03:19 PM
Your expectation is right, but as I said, it can take a restart or two of phone and Mac before it springs into life.

EDIT I'm assuming that you have enabled calendar syncing in the iCloud settings on both phone and Mac.

Cheers
Steffen.

kyte
14th October 2011, 04:16 PM
I've finally managed to get my me.com and lapsed mac.com into one place (that is, I'm using my old mac.com address as my appleID, which is what I have been doing ever since I actually got it, and created some new me.com emails)... however, what I did was forward some emails over from my old (now to be un-used) me.com accounts and for some godforsaken reason, mail.app won't retrieve them off the server, even though I can see them there in the account.

Anyone got any ideas?

glacierdave
14th October 2011, 04:58 PM
There seems to be a lot of confusion over Apple ID used to purchase on iTunes and Apple ID used for MobileMe and other scenarios.

Apple thought of this.

Try having a read of this:

Apple IDs and iCloud (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4895)

It cleared things up for me, followed it when I updated everything and (so far, touch wood) it seems to be working fine. I have a MobileMe account that's separate to the Apple ID I use on Mac App Store/iTunes Store. Both are now "active" and sync'd on my Macs and IOS devices.

David

whitesr
14th October 2011, 08:43 PM
Hi guys,
Has anyone had problems initially to receive an activation email from apple for iCloud? I have entered a valid apple id (xx@gmail.com username), which was accepted and followed on to send an email to myself. The email address is correct, I have triple checked it and I have also selected re-send, with no success. I have checked spam folders etc just in case but I am certain it hasn't arrived. Has this happened to anyone else??? Thanks

kyte
15th October 2011, 06:50 AM
There seems to be a lot of confusion over Apple ID used to purchase on iTunes and Apple ID used for MobileMe and other scenarios.

I wasn't confused. I just wanted to have my itunes account and my email all in the one place. I created new email account and alias and forwarded from my old me.com account to the new one. In any case that part has been sorted. The emails arrived and all was well. Until I decided I wanted to send email from the account. I cannot send from mail.app. I have deleted and reinserted the icloud smtp server information along with my login but it has been persistent in either refusing to send, or in rejecting my password.

gumby08
15th October 2011, 09:30 AM
Has anyone managed to get Find My Mac to work?

On my MacBook Air I can't select it in System Preferences - it's greyed out with the message 'Recovery system update required', but according to Software Update I'm all up to date.

My iMac appears under My Devices in iCloud, but indicates 'No Location'. I have enabled Location Services in System Prefs.

Suggestions anyone?

kyte
15th October 2011, 09:56 AM
I have a new question on behalf of a friend who has only just entered the Apple product fold in the past month. He does not have an iOS device, he had previously chosen Android for his phone and tablet needs. He has created an iCloud account and was wanting to drop some documents into the cloud for work purposes but they wont go. He's thinking it must be because he doesnt have iwork or an iOS device... would this be so? It certainly wasnt server issues because I was able to drag and drop a word document into the iwork area on icloud, with no issues. But I do have pages on my ios devices... at a bit of a loss here.

MrJesseRoss
15th October 2011, 09:56 AM
Hi guys,
Has anyone had problems initially to receive an activation email from apple for iCloud? I have entered a valid apple id (xx@gmail.com username), which was accepted and followed on to send an email to myself. The email address is correct, I have triple checked it and I have also selected re-send, with no success. I have checked spam folders etc just in case but I am certain it hasn't arrived. Has this happened to anyone else??? Thanks

The email address you're trying to send to may be associated with another AppleID, in which case it won't send. I had that problem too, before I realised I had two accounts. Once I removed my email from the one I didn't want, the verification email came through immediately.