PDA

View Full Version : Folders that open when a disc is mounted in OS X

milliedog
24th November 2005, 07:56 PM
Hi folks,

In need the assistance of some creative experts.

I occasionally want to distribute a CD to others & I'd really like to be able to get a particular folder to open when the disc mounts. I understand that OS X no longer allows documents or apps to auto open, but I've got some discs (OS X installer, Office 2004) that still auto open a window.

I can make discs that do this in OS 9 by burning a disc-copy image that retains the open window information, but these don't work in X. I've tried an equivalent in X using disc-utility images, but these don't retain open window information.

Any thoughts?

Milliedog

tommelbourne
24th November 2005, 08:06 PM
If you use Toast Titanium 7 it has an option allowing the disk window to auto-open upon mounting.

milliedog
24th November 2005, 08:34 PM
Is this only toast 7? I can't seem to find it in toast 6.

Milliedog

tommelbourne
24th November 2005, 08:52 PM
Yeah, im pretty sure it is only in Toast 7. But it works well, i have tried it myself. Toast 7 is well worth the upgrade.

Currawong
25th November 2005, 07:07 AM
The solution is to leave the folder or disk open on your computer as you wish it to appear before you burn it. As burning a folder burns the hidden .DS_Store files that contain the settings for how the folder looks or whether it's open, when you burn the folder, it will appear exactly as it was when it was burned.

g5agogo
25th November 2005, 11:46 AM
Great tip Currawong. I presume this only works if the other computer is also a mac running OS X, or does it work for others too (9, pc)?

Currawong
25th November 2005, 12:33 PM
I haven't tried this with OS 9 at all so I'm not sure.

xatz
25th November 2005, 01:58 PM
For a PC you could always just put an 'autorun.inf' file on the disc.
I think that still works in XP. I haven't tried it though, I've got a Mac now :D

milliedog
26th November 2005, 06:47 AM
Thanks Currawong but I haven't been able to use this technique in OSX. The folders aren't open when the disc mounts. I can make one in 9, but X.

Milliedog