PDA

View Full Version : No News of Early Upgrade Fee Reduction With Optus

Shillo
10th October 2011, 05:50 PM
I have just got off the phone from Optus and although there is still time for something to happen I was not offered an early upgrade fee reduction, well I tell a lie, they offered me $70 off my EUF of $770 !!

In the past they have always offered a % off providing you re-contract, the amount of discount depending on the amount of monthly spend, that being so, I am currently on a $99 Timeless with 8 months to go, and also have my wife's iPhone on my account as well.

I have already "pre-ordered" the 4S and was told during the call that I will receive a call from Optus during the week to finalise the deal as the "pre-order" is only a registration of interest, if that's the case it will be a very short call as I am not about to pay $700 just to upgrade when the phone is only another $300 to buy outright.

Lets hope the Optus Account Retention people have it wrong and existing customers do get offered an upgrade deal, if not I think I won't be the only one cancelling my interest in the 4S .....fingers crossed

---------- Post added at 06:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 PM ----------

Oh ....quick update, just checked my emails and I think I got a deal.....2 frequent flyer points with every $ spent !! woo hoo now your talking Optus !!

Applied
10th October 2011, 08:12 PM
I also rang Optus today re discounted upgrade deals, they said since I'm in the 13th month of a 24month contract and it would be $660 to upgrade to the 4s but after pushing a bit and saying I would leave and go to Vodaphone (XD nobody actually would) they said wait until the marketing team had finalized there strategy and I should call back when I see the tv adds for the Optus deals show up.
And they should be able to offer a percentage discount last time it was %50 at 13 months.

---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

To be clear they didn't say %50 I know because thats the deal I got.

Shillo
11th October 2011, 12:27 PM
Well I just had another go and after being offered the same $700 deal as yesterday from "Account Retentions" I asked to be put through to sales, the guy in sales explained that there is no current plans to offer any significant upgrade deals that have happened in previous iPhone releases.

He also said that previous re-contract offers were actually funded by Apple and not Optus and that Apple are not doing it this time.

Look's like i'll be sticking with the old '4' for now as now way am I paying that!.

dekco
11th October 2011, 02:00 PM
im thinking of calling up telstra and asking for a final payout on my contract... depending on what they want from me, i may consider terminating and upgrading early...

tcn33
11th October 2011, 02:53 PM
im thinking of calling up telstra and asking for a final payout on my contract... depending on what they want from me, i may consider terminating and upgrading early...

I upgraded day one and my ETF is $375, FWIW.

dekco
11th October 2011, 06:16 PM
Cheers... might call up one of these days and see what they say.

Applied
12th October 2011, 05:25 PM
He also said that previous re-contract offers were actually funded by Apple and not Optus and that Apple are not doing it this time.

Just out of interest I wonder why apple marketing would do this and limit it to one carrier?
Hopefully it's just the usual call centrer spin because it contradicts what they said to me the other day.

dekco
12th October 2011, 05:30 PM
It sounds like some tale to not offer any recontract rewards.

bobsuncle2
12th October 2011, 06:34 PM
FWIW Virgin are being quite standoffish about early upgrade deals and aren't offering anything regardless of whether you resign with them or not.

tate1984
12th October 2011, 06:42 PM
I have just got off the phone from Optus and although there is still time for something to happen I was not offered an early upgrade fee reduction, well I tell a lie, they offered me $70 off my EUF of $770 !!

In the past they have always offered a % off providing you re-contract, the amount of discount depending on the amount of monthly spend, that being so, I am currently on a $99 Timeless with 8 months to go, and also have my wife's iPhone on my account as well.

I have already "pre-ordered" the 4S and was told during the call that I will receive a call from Optus during the week to finalise the deal as the "pre-order" is only a registration of interest, if that's the case it will be a very short call as I am not about to pay $700 just to upgrade when the phone is only another $300 to buy outright.

Lets hope the Optus Account Retention people have it wrong and existing customers do get offered an upgrade deal, if not I think I won't be the only one cancelling my interest in the 4S .....fingers crossed

---------- Post added at 06:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 PM ----------

Oh ....quick update, just checked my emails and I think I got a deal.....2 frequent flyer points with every $ spent !! woo hoo now your talking Optus !!

Sorry am I missing something here???? You signed a 2 year contract and are now complaining because you have to pay to get out of it? Yes I know you want to re-contract, but a contract is a contract. And what makes you sound like a bigger whinger is that you don't want out because their service is shitty or anything like that, but just because you want the latest and greatest and are too cheap to pay for it.

Maybe time to step back and really have a think about what your complaining about.

Shillo
12th October 2011, 07:06 PM
Hi Tate

Yes you obviously are missing something, in the past Optus sent emails out to existing customers asking for "expressions of interest" in the latest iPhone, if you decided to reply to the email some customers where then contacted via email with an "upgrade offer" I think the offers were something like "your iPhone would look good with Optus"

My point posting the above thread was to see if anyone has been offered an upgrade "offer" as in previous years, it was not to "whinge" as you put it but to get it out there and see what others are experiencing.

As for "to cheap to pay for it" I have no problem in paying full price for anything, but if someone is going to offer me some $$ off, I am not going to turn them down ....who would? and if there is no offer on the table as is currently the case, then you pay the money if you really want it.

Shintaro
12th October 2011, 08:38 PM
The problem is the fine print from Optus.

On the pre-order page it says:
"Existing customers who are currently in their contract may be charged an early upgrade fee".
Now, try and find someone at Optus who can clarify it more, because I can't.
So maybe I'll be charged or maybe not. How can I confirm, well it seems I cannot.

The other thing that bothers me is, if the pre order is just an expression of interest, not a guarantee of getting the 4S on launch day, when do we find out?
Talked to Optus via twitter, and they're telling people as long as you have a reference number from the pre-order site, your gold.

Also, the fine print says "Customers who wish to cancel their preorder will need to call Optus by 12pm on 13 October 2011."

So what's the G O Optus?

Applied
12th October 2011, 08:51 PM
Wow there are always people ready to heckle every year when it comes to this topic.
I can't speak for others but those discounts have been very lucrative for me at least the last two years I have upgraded and sold my existing phone for more than the upgrade fee.

Shintaro
12th October 2011, 09:01 PM
Well, according to the Optus pre-order site, all 4S stock is gone.
They only have the 8gb iPhone 4 now.

Shillo
12th October 2011, 09:06 PM
Yes Shintaro i'm hearing you loud and clear, I thought the same, thats why I called them. The thing is, the key word is "may be charged" and as you say, the guys you speak too don't seem to know anything about it, as for cancelling before 12pm I can't see how they can make you have the phone if they have not previously contacted you as they said they would on the confirmation page.

And yes Applied, I didn't think I came across as complaining, I just wanted to "put it out there" to see what was about, I thought that was what these forums were for, and to maybe learn from other's experiences.

Shintaro
12th October 2011, 09:15 PM
Shillo,

If memory serves, Optus have offered contract upgrades for at least the 3GS & 4.
Whilst a nice gesture, it was never offered to all users, mainly those who bought within the first month.
So your question is fair & reasonable.

Optus is making this a problem as per my quote from their site.

My biggest gripe is whether their Twitter crew are correct, or what you were told is correct about the pre-order means 4S.

EDIT: Regarding the Optus Twitter crew, I used them as a last resort after contacting Optus to ask why I hadn't received my confirmation email,
and yet, my wife who pre-ordered a day later got hers within 5 minutes.

Shillo
12th October 2011, 09:31 PM
Shintaro

Thanks for your understanding.

I 1st tried to pre-order on Sunday, I think that was the day the pre-order page went live, and after several attempts at submitting my order as an optus customer I finally made a successful submission as a non optus customer (a site glitch me thinks) and received a reference number on screen but no email confirmation.
I then had another go at it on Monday, this time it went through as an existing customer with no problems, and again the same as before reference number displayed on screen, no email.
Yesterday after wondering what to get my Wife for her birthday, I decided to pre-order her a white 32GB 4S using her iPhone number which is on my account and that went through straight away without a drama and as you said 5 mins later I received a confirmation Email as well as on the screen..!!! must be a female thing aye:) they seem to have all the luck.... so in theory I have 3 on "pre-order" !!

Exocet
14th October 2011, 08:23 AM
Wow there are always people ready to heckle every year when it comes to this topic.
I can't speak for others but those discounts have been very lucrative for me at least the last two years I have upgraded and sold my existing phone for more than the upgrade fee.

So what you're complaining about is that you can no longer turn a profit on Optus' dime?

Shintaro
14th October 2011, 09:51 AM
No special deals for upgrading, though I too was given a $70 discount so it
would cost $700.

A little disappointed as the contract was well into its 2nd year, but another customer who
went on contract in march was given the same offer.

No big deal though, as I'll give my eldest son the old number/contract to use.