PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on the best carrier?

steelbom
9th October 2011, 11:39 PM
I'm in QLD and I'm wondering who the best carrier is these days? I'm currently with 3, and we usually have good signal strength. Is Telstra any better? Who's the best? Is Vodaphone any good? (didn't think acquire 3?)

Thanks for any help!

lostom
10th October 2011, 06:44 AM
Qld is a big state.??

On the Gold Coast ive found vfone to be hopeless and changed to telstra, more expensive but it works.

laughingbird
10th October 2011, 09:06 AM
Easy question, but not always a popular answer. Telstra has the best coverage and the fastest speeds all over the country, but their prices are the highest and their customer service is frequently appalling.
I now figure that any time I sign a new plan or change a plan with Telstra, I will probably have at least two rounds of correspondence to get their mistakes fixed, but that once it is finally right, it will give very reliable phone and data service which I am lucky enough to be able to afford to pay for.

skyhawkmatthew
10th October 2011, 09:17 AM
Telstra, definitely. Their coverage and speed is second-to-none. Vodafone is catastrophic.

steelbom
10th October 2011, 09:51 AM
Mmm, I see. Thanks everyone. I'm on the Gold Coast, to clarify further.

Is the service provided by Three and Vodafone the same? because I've got good signal strength and I don't really ever have any problems. I don't think I want to switch to a more expensive carrier, but I'll check Telstra's plans out anyway. We were thinking of switching from Three to Vodafone though, thinking that there the same service because Vodafone owns Three, is that true?

lexy101
10th October 2011, 10:03 AM
3 is powered by vodafone but if you were planning a switch - never fear, looks like they're amalgamating anyway

Home - Three (http://www.three.com.au) says "We've taken the next step in our journey to one brand - Vodafone"

Personally I am a telstra fan, i dabbled in Vodafail and got burned with pathetic reception and lack lustre downloads... i am in North Queensland though - and I cant speak for their new network they're rolling out

babypoppop
10th October 2011, 10:14 AM
because I've got good signal strength and I don't really ever have any problems. I don't think I want to switch to a more expensive carrier, but I'll check Telstra's plans out anyway.

Yes, that's correct. It really depends on where you'll be mainly using your phone. If you have no problems with your current provider and is happy with the price plan, why switch to a more expensive provider? And yes, you should check out the "gold standard" and see whether it's justified to pay for it.

I personally switched to Telstra, because the coverage of other providers in my workplace is either appalling or non-existent.

ravage221
10th October 2011, 11:27 AM
One of the best things that Telstra has is its unbelievable backbone and their massive 850Mhz network. While Vodafone is using 850Mhz as well, it is still Telstra that has the widest and most up to date (HSPA+ up to 42Mbit/s, of which the iPhone 4S can use up to 14.4Mbit/s of) network on that band.
I'm not going to go into super technical detail but the 850Mhz spectrum itself offers inherent value as lower frequency radio signals allow a higher bandwidth at lower signal strength, penetrate through objects (ie. buildings) a lot better and signals do travel a little further (note the little) from the transmission point.

steelbom
10th October 2011, 01:16 PM
Mmm, I see. Thank you everyone for your help! I think we'll go with Vodafone, and as lexy101 said, they're amalgamating anyway. My family has had pretty bad experiences with Telstra's customer service, so much so we left them. I take it they've not changed.

laughingbird
10th October 2011, 02:40 PM
My family has had pretty bad experiences with Telstra's customer service, so much so we left them. I take it they've not changed.

Nope, they probably haven't. The trouble is, it is not customer service that makes your phone work. I suspect that as long as it remains the case that no one else can compete with them on network quality, they won't feel the need to try to get their customer service competitive.

MrJesseRoss
10th October 2011, 03:12 PM
Nope, they probably haven't. The trouble is, it is not customer service that makes your phone work. I suspect that as long as it remains the case that no one else can compete with them on network quality, they won't feel the need to try to get their customer service competitive.

The way I see it, the better the network service, the less you need to deal with their customer service, therefore the less important it is when making a decision. The last time I had to actually call Telstra was when I first got my iPhone 4 last year, and there were some issues with getting it activated. Since then, it's been perfect. Same goes with internet - I'm with TPG even though their customer service is said to be somewhat poor, but their product is brilliant so it's not yet been an issue.

babypoppop
10th October 2011, 03:36 PM
The way I see it, the better the network service, the less you need to deal with their customer service, therefore the less important it is when making a decision. The last time I had to actually call Telstra was when I first got my iPhone 4 last year, and there were some issues with getting it activated. Since then, it's been perfect. Same goes with internet - I'm with TPG even though their customer service is said to be somewhat poor, but their product is brilliant so it's not yet been an issue.

Agree.

I've rarely contacted Telstra for the past year I've been with them, but when I did, I used their Social Networking (Facebook or Twitter), instead, because they're really efficient. Just have to tell them what your problem/enquiry is on a web form, and they'll get back to you mostly on the same day itself.

I've never contacted TPG before for the past 2 years I've been with them.

The Fluffy Duck
10th October 2011, 04:23 PM
Optus was abysmal I had to get the TIO to cancel my contract. They put me on the wrong contract TWICE! Calldrop outs 4/5 times, sms would arive late or not at all, full bars and no internet or ability to place a call. Truely awful.

So I moved to Vodafone where the sun always shined and birds filled the air with their chearfull song. That was untill everybody else jumped the sinking HMS Optus for Vodafone and swamped their network. Once again call drop outs, full bars and no connectivity, Piss poor reception.

Hopefully everybody jumps ship back to Optus or Telstra so I can go back to rainbows and cheerful whale song!

But given I am a student and still want an iPhone, looks like I am with them for another two years. Till I get my mining geologist job and can afford the iPhone 5S :P

TPG= The devil! Worse than all of the above combined times a million. We didnt have internet from the world go and they didnt let us go of our contract for 4 months. We contacted the TIO three times and had to place a block on our bank account untill, they got the msg. Legal action was threatened against us. Even though we had NO internet and was independently confirmed.......TPG = Bastards!

mac_man_luke
10th October 2011, 08:19 PM
Cant bet telstra - never had a situation where iv had no signal including remote places on the river murray, few km's out at sea etc

abdelrm
11th October 2011, 11:41 AM
Today I made the switch, after being with Optus for 7 years. All mobile devices are now with Telstra.

Cranerigger
11th October 2011, 12:20 PM
I work in places like Gove, NT and Argyle, WA. I didn't know we had any carriers other than Telstra lol.

I also think Telstra is reluctantly dropping their prices faster than average of late. We have no landline and two mobiles. One has unlimited calls/texts/MMS and 5Gb data, the other $800 of calls, free texts/MMS and 7Gb data for $250ish a month. Very happy given I have no choice :)

torana355
11th October 2011, 09:33 PM
Telstra by a long way. Optus, Vodaphone and 3 all have really slow internet (3g) speeds and bad coverage. When i went from Optus to Telstra on my iphone it was like getting a new phone lol.