PDA

View Full Version : Steve leaves at least four years Apple future

sirstaunch
9th October 2011, 02:56 AM
An unattributed claim in the British tabloid The Daily Mail says that Steve Jobs, the co-founder and chairman of the company, left behind as much as four years' worth of product plans in the pipeline before his death on Wednesday. The estimate is likely to be just an educated guess based on Jobs' famous obsession with planning and his strong desire to see Apple continue, but could be true -- or even conservative -- if history repeats itself.

Being an unattributed claim, why say four years and not ten? Apple future is going to be very interesting.

Claim: Jobs left 'four years worth' of product plans behind | MacNN (http://www.macnn.com/articles/11/10/07/possible.given.jobs.obsession.with.planning/)

Thought I'd start this thread as I've seen in the Steve Jobs death notice a couple of guesses and thoughts on Apple future and start a thought page of Apples future, will it have a rough path for awhile until a Jobs follower comes in and re-saves Apple? Will Apple still climb as it is or better without Jobs? All these are going to be asked and watched for a very long time.

All I can say is, good luck Apple, I still love your products with or without Steve :D

Dust For Eyes
9th October 2011, 06:35 AM
For large, capital intensive corporations, long term planning spanning 5-10 years is not unusual. In fact, it's essential. You don't wake up one day and say, 'We need a billion dollar data centre by next week.' You gotta plan for those things.

bartron
9th October 2011, 01:10 PM
4 years is hardly surprising. Think about the iPad development. SJ admitted that the iPad came before the iPhone and there would have been at least a couple years development in that. Just from that statement one can infer that the iPad had 4-5 years of development before it was released.

All it would have taken is Steve to say "I want to see a laptop with XYZ" or come out with some other device he thinks would be useful and there's your 4 years of development and you can bet your bottom dollar he had ideas he would have liked to have seen become reality.

I doubt he had an entire Apple roadmap planned and even if he did he's no-longer around to steer Apple's direction around the fast paced world of technology. I'm sure his influence will still be felt for a while but I think Apple 2 years from now will probably be free from any input Steve had before he passed away.

sirstaunch
9th October 2011, 05:29 PM
I understand that plans are made years before and not just overnight. I would think Steve has left a lot for Apple to keep going and think more then four years in some areas, less in others. Apple wouldn't turn the table tomorrow and have Flash on iOS's because Steve's gone, well there's still his family that would want to stick with his wishes for the time too. What ever the future of Apple is going to happen I believe there will be a lot of SJ for many years.

Brains
9th October 2011, 08:11 PM
Tim -- until recently, often referred to as "Steve Junior" around 1IL campus -- will ensure Steve's long-reaching plan of almost-human information appliances shattering people's expectations of technology will come to fruition, and then some. Devised and set into motion several years before the Intel switch, Steve's penultimate goal was to offer a small range of ultra-personal information appliances ("computers are too last century") that would be 100% Apple designed, from the CPU outwards.

MattyMoocow
18th June 2012, 10:20 PM
i just hope that Apple don't now implement a whole lot of stuff that Steve was against doing.

AnthoMac
18th June 2012, 10:40 PM
I'm sure he would be happy with the retina upgrades to the iPad 3 and MBP. But I think we're still waiting on the next followup to the iPad in terms of revolutionary. Here's hoping Apple TV set comes since it was well hinted that SJ was interested in that area. Or perhaps digital photography.