PDA

View Full Version : Downloads and updates outside of Australia - is it safe?

SimplyBea
8th October 2011, 09:21 AM
Last year when we were away, we didn't download new apps or any updates because we didn't want to have problems with our iPads.
This year we are going away again and were planning to do the same but with ios5 due soon, I am not sure if we should update BEFORE we go away (we are away for 4 weeks) and then if there are bugs we could be stuck or is it safe to update/download from a foreign network/iTunes store??

What have you done and how did it work out?

Would appreciate your feedback.....

TIA

skyhawkmatthew
8th October 2011, 09:26 AM
There's no problem downloading internationally. You can still use the Australian iTunes store if you want to download apps; the software downloads are identical across all locales.

SimplyBea
8th October 2011, 09:29 AM
So there won't be prompts from iTunes about not being connected to iTunes Australia etc?
My partner was pretty worried about it and last year we just held off but it was a long 4 weeks....

dmg
8th October 2011, 11:29 AM
I travelled to France last year with my new iPhone 4. I did not use the iPhone as a phone, but just for mail, browsing, etc over wi-fi. I updated my apps via the iTunes Store while o/s just the same as I did here in Oz, without any prompts, etc.

Vojtin
8th October 2011, 11:39 AM
The internet is around the world, not just in Australia and the US.

SimplyBea
8th October 2011, 11:56 AM
I travelled to France last year with my new iPhone 4. I did not use the iPhone as a phone, but just for mail, browsing, etc over wi-fi. I updated my apps via the iTunes Store while o/s just the same as I did here in Oz, without any prompts, etc.

Dmg - thanks.
I think around the time we were travelling, there were some issues on the forums so we decided to be cautious.
Otherbtrips we have taken since have not been over 10 days so we haven't bothered.

MrJesseRoss
8th October 2011, 02:12 PM
The internet is around the world, not just in Australia and the US.

That's true, but what does it have to do with anything?

ravage221
8th October 2011, 02:24 PM
From my use of the GM for a few days now, there are no real bugs that pose a hindrance to operation of anything; while kind of defeating the purpose of calling it a GM, Apple may indeed release a build with even less niggling bugs for the public release. If anything, like most major upgrades, there will be a bug fix (and closing whatever jailbreak holes they left open) within a couple of weeks of 5.0's release.

howyagoin
8th October 2011, 02:49 PM
As others have pointed out, there's no real reason NOT to do what you want to do, but, as someone who does a lot of global travelling, here are a few things to think about that haven't been brought up yet:

1) Avoid roaming. If you can, use a local pre-paid SIM for wherever you are going. Roaming costs would make app downloads and updates a lot more expensive, depending upon your carrier and plan. I just got back from three weeks in Italy, where I bought a 3Gig microSIM (pre paid) for only 20 euros -- great way to avoid roaming costs.

2) Don't forget the AT&T size limits. In the States, AT&T's network wasn't able to deal with large downloads, so, they allegedly convinced Apple to block any 3G downloads greater than 20meg from the store. This is incredibly annoying if you're on a pre-paid with a good size limit, but, still can't download applications and updates due to this built in restriction. It does NOT go away in iOS 5.

3) WiFi is good, but not always available. Obviously this will get you around the first two items, but, yeah, has limits.

4) Something that I've run into a lot lately are timezone related issues. If your iTunes account is in Australia, then time-related special offers on the iTunes store will time out according to the *account location* not *your location*...in other words, if an App you want goes on sale for a weekend or a day whilst you're in another timezone, the time restrictions are linked to the home location of your account. I've been hit by this several times, and it's annoying.

For the most part though, there's no issue at all with doing updates, application purchases, etc, on the road. Done it hundreds of times in dozens of countries, and other than some of the issues I list here, it usually works just fine.