PDA

View Full Version : internet explorer

leongt
17th August 2004, 09:10 AM
when it come's to surfing the net son's little Imac 233 128meg ram kick's my PC arse, and I have a P4 2.4g 512meg ddr ram and I couldn't belive the speed increase, we both use the same billion 5100 modem.

Ozi
17th August 2004, 09:39 AM
So he can find 20 pics of women having thier toes sucked in the time it takes you to find 10. LMAO Seriously though, it is cool that it is so much quicker. :D

Disko
17th August 2004, 09:53 AM
haha

yes, the imacs were marvelleous machines. But internet explorer? Surely there are other browsers out there. I know mozilla has a classic version... ;)

decryption
17th August 2004, 10:02 AM
There must be something wrong with your Wintel machine if it feels slower than a 233MHz G3 running OS 9!

Byrd
17th August 2004, 10:43 AM
OS 9 is extremely snappy under any G3 machine, not that stable but snappy remember!

JB

kim jong il
17th August 2004, 12:52 PM
I'd be looking at the modem/router settings/preferences. Specifically the NAT (network address translation) settings. If it is not configured for multiple machines it can behave oddly. The machines can take turns (in odd sort of way) with one usually dominating the connection. When one is active the cannot be.

I only mention this because I had an odd experience when I was new to adsl (I had NAT on, but only translating a single address. It did not care which address. So long as it was valid it was good. It gave the impression that one machine was faster than the other (side by side setup). I'd work on, then the other; connections would time out.......... Took me a few weeks to twig.

Maybe Internet Explorer really is worse on your PC than a older iMac, but I find this, while a little amusing, an unlikely scenario. The faster machine should execute tasks faster, so if the browser is non responsive you should be looking for answers elsewhere. If the download is going to take five minutes a fast machine should tell you quickly. Things like bittorrent that can saturate your uplink bandwidth can also result in lack of response or responsiveness in web browsers.

Let us know. It may really be a simple networking problem. Could be as simple as changing data recieve and send window size, so you do not have one machine being physically able to push more requests than the other and so dominate your bandwidth.

You could also use throttling software (although under OS 9 your options may be very limited if they exist)

Hope you get it sorted.

cheers, kim

leongt
17th August 2004, 02:54 PM
I find that his Imac will download a webpage quicker than mine or it seem's that way to me, but then again I am 51 next birthday!. as far as downloading files { and the little shit dose a lot of that good thing I have a 10g download limit }, I manage around the 56 to 57kbs and I think his is about the same, anyway I wouldn't mind a high spec's mac for my movie editing but thay are just to much for my budget at the moment. :D