PDA

View Full Version : Apple "October 4th event: Let's talk iPhone"

Lutze
28th September 2011, 01:41 AM
10am Pacific time.

Set to happen in Cupertino.

Apple confirms October 4 event: Let’s talk iPhone | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence (http://9to5mac.com/2011/09/27/apple-confirms-october-4-event/)

mitty
28th September 2011, 07:03 AM
Finally. It seems like this has been coming for millennia.

Because our timezones will be all over the shop on October 4 (with the start of daylight savings) here is a friendly meeting planner which details the times in all capital cities.

The World Clock Meeting Planner - Results (http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingtime.html?iso=20111004&p1=224&p2=152&p3=47&p4=196&p5=396&p6=5)

Eg Melbourne, 4:00 AM October 5th.

nibbles
28th September 2011, 08:00 AM
I somehow think we know what this is going to be about. I take it it is going to be some media/ journalists and maybe a couple of dev's, selected by invite only? Last time they held an event in Infinite Loop it looked pretty small.

kyte
28th September 2011, 08:17 AM
So what do we think its going to be? The release of iOS 5 and the announcement of an imminent iphone 4S or 5, not coming til Christmas? I can't afford a new phone yet so wont mind if its not released until next year!

nibbles
28th September 2011, 08:20 AM
I'm guessing release of iOS 5, and the iPhone [x] coming shortly. I'm hoping it comes before November and there is plenty of stock so I can get it as a birthday present for myself.

Will this mean no spring* music event? I hope not.

Our spring not theirs.

mitty
28th September 2011, 08:24 AM
BTW here's a better version of the clock, including all capital cities and time zones:

The World Clock Meeting Planner - Details (http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2011&month=10&day=4&hour=17&min=0&sec=0&p1=224&p2=152&p3=240&p4=47&p5=196&p6=5&p7=396&p8=72)

nibbles
28th September 2011, 08:26 AM
I had to check when daylight savings started, I didn't think it was until later in October. Why couldn't Apple hold this event at 1pm and give time for us Aussies to be up and able to follow along.

idiesel
28th September 2011, 08:53 AM
Interesting read on the various symbols and tagline 'Let's talk iPhone".
It seems the "Let's talk" is referring to the speech recognition features (Assistant?) and the red 1 meaning there will only be one new model announced (in various GB sizes).

Even a little announcement about an announcement is such fodder for theories :)

Oldmacs
28th September 2011, 08:53 AM
I'm hoping that it's bit just a spec bumped iPhone 4, even though I consider the iPhone and iOS superior, the iPhone needs a proper refresh to bring people back to iOS.

mitty
28th September 2011, 08:56 AM
I'm hoping for 64GB. Who's with me?

idiesel
28th September 2011, 08:56 AM
even though I consider the iPhone and iOS superior, the iPhone needs a proper refresh to bring people back to iOS.How so?
They are selling them at record levels. Even though the hardware is over 15 months old...

klif
28th September 2011, 09:00 AM
Hoping for iPhone 5, hoping for a release in the US before the 23rd of October, as I'm there from the 1st to 23rd, San Francisco & New York.

---------- Post added at 09:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 AM ----------

I'm hoping for 64GB. Who's with me?

Yes please 32GB is too much of a squeeze nowadays.

tcn33
28th September 2011, 09:03 AM
I hate to be that guy, but unless it has LTE (and I am very sure it won't) I'm going to sit this one out.

Of course, I say that now but when the Siri/Nuance integration is iPhone 5-only I'll probably cave :p

MrJesseRoss
28th September 2011, 09:28 AM
I had to check when daylight savings started, I didn't think it was until later in October. Why couldn't Apple hold this event at 1pm and give time for us Aussies to be up and able to follow along.

US news services are more important than Australia.

Chundermuffin
28th September 2011, 09:35 AM
I've never bought an Apple product at launch before (except for iPad 2, and that was absolute luck that I got one straight away). Has it been possible in the past to pre-order the iPhone at any stage?

The_Hawk
28th September 2011, 10:08 AM
Has it been possible in the past to pre-order the iPhone at any stage?

I think a few carriers did something along those lines, or pre-registration or something for the 3G2, but I don't think they did for the 4. The best method is usually to cozy up to your local [CARRIER] store over the lead up and see if they will put one away for you :D

Steve_D
28th September 2011, 10:15 AM
Some of the carriers that did pre registration/orders were telling customers that it was a 4-6 week wait last time, when these same carriers were selling them in their stores over the counter.

If you have an Apple store in your State (which covers everyone except us poor bastards here in SA basically) then just go to the store on release and pick one up. Instead of pre paying or registering you will have to put the money to one side and line up for a few hours but its worth it in the end.

nibbles
28th September 2011, 10:31 AM
Hoping for iPhone 5, hoping for a release in the US before the 23rd of October, as I'm there from the 1st to 23rd, San Francisco & New York.

Yes please 32GB is too much of a squeeze nowadays.

Pick us up one for my birthday which is on the 23rd.

pmoe
28th September 2011, 12:28 PM
Isn't iCloud supposed to make storage much less of an issue?

If iCloud works as planned, I'd rather the extra space used for battery

mmulhern
28th September 2011, 12:45 PM
Storage is always an issue: Even if iCloud is moderately successful, local storage will remain paramount. To me it is unacceptable to rely on being able to have remote access to data.

idiesel
28th September 2011, 01:13 PM
If iCloud works as planned, I'd rather the extra space used for batteryCan't see how bigger storage would require more space. You can get SD cards of all different capacities and they are all the same form factor

Steve_D
28th September 2011, 01:49 PM
Can't see how bigger storage would require more space. You can get SD cards of all different capacities and they are all the same form factor

Exactly.

If the iPhone's memory board looks like this...
http://www.iphonebuzz.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/iphone_dissembly_3.jpg

All it would mean for them to go larger storage is replace the chip (shown below) that is already there with one that is of a larger capacity (note that the iPod Touch uses 2 chips, thus explaining the larger capacities in them).

http://origin.arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/iphone-review.media/ProcessorBoard.jpg

Current largest single chip for memory is the Winbond 512Mb chip but with limitations on manufacturing the thresholds apple needs it would be a while before we see a 512Mb iPhone or 1Tb iPod Touch.

sleek881
28th September 2011, 06:50 PM
A few sources that are familiar with the matter have said that Apple has blacked out vacation time for two date ranges: October 9th- October 12th and October 14th- October15th.

No Vacation Days for Apple employees (http://iphone5release.org/no-vacation-days-for-apple-employees-in-mid-october-weeks/)

the8thark
30th September 2011, 05:24 AM
For small files secure online storage (oxymoron?) is not too bad. If your computer goes belly up the file is still save on the server. But downloading large files in a PITA hence this doesn't work for large files.

And to me iCloud is more about the sync then it is about the storage.

macuzer
2nd October 2011, 10:37 PM
Oct 4 is only a few days away, and here's what I think we'll see on Oct. 4.

iPhone 5 AND iPhone 4s : The 5 will be the all-new styled, bevelled model, while the 4s is the cheaper version that will replace current version 4 phones, similar to how the 3GS is currently still around at lower prices. The iPhone 5 will have the 8mp camera and new Apple chip and will be thinner with an alminium back, while the 4s will have mostly the legacy specs of the v4.

iCloud : This will include the MobileMe replacement that was previously announced, the online versions of iWork apps (pages, numbers, keynote) and iTunes streaming.

iPad : no new hardware, but iOS 5 will be introduced and made available shortly after. One major feature of iOS5 will be it's AppleTv integration. This is a feature that other tablet makers have not yet copied. The ability to stream ANY iPad app/content to your tv opens up a whole new world of gaming and educational possibilities, that will keep Apple ahead of the copycat tablets.

iPod : a farewell to the old click wheel iPod (touch is the new click, and streaming is king) but the nano will live on - it makes a great watch with the appropriate wrist band. iPod touch will gain a camera and iMessage, and work with FaceTime of course.

Appletv iOS 5 upgrade announced, released shortly after to coincide with iphone/iPod Software release.

.... At least that's what I think :D

the8thark
3rd October 2011, 03:48 AM
I'm hoping for an iPhone 5 + cheap 8GB iPhone 4.
If this happens I'll wait in line at the nearest Apple Store for the cheap iPhone 4.

I can't justify the price of an iPhone 5. I have to buy it outright for pre-paid. But a cheaper iPhone 4 I'll be all over like a rash. I only want it for the touch keyboard for sms and phone calls.

idiesel
4th October 2011, 11:52 AM
iPadOne major feature of iOS5 will be it's AppleTv integration. This is a feature that other tablet makers have not yet copied. The ability to stream ANY iPad app/content to your tv opens up a whole new world of gaming and educational possibilities, that will keep Apple ahead of the copycat tablets.

iPod iPod touch will gain a camera and iMessage, and work with FaceTime of course.

The iPad streaming to TV has been signalled by Sony IIRC as their next area of focus as they see this as where it's all heading. If you're correct, like you say, it'll keep Apple ahead of the game.
iPod Touch already has a forward facing camera and supports facetime.
I hope AppleTV can be used to support apps. This could see the likes of XMBC and Plex become really powerful and make ATV2a very handy media player.

My predictions are that I don't think we will see any 4G LTE or NFC this time around. Maybe V6 will get that.

Ecto1
4th October 2011, 01:37 PM
My predictions are.

New iPhone named 4s. Hardware will be close to the iPad 2 with the A5 running at 1GHz with 1GB of RAM. The camera will be upgraded to 8MP with better quality for low light photos. Storage will come in 16-32 and 64GB. Colors will stay black or white.

We will see a new iPod touch that will match all those leaked case photos.

iOS5 will be given a release date, with the GM being released tomorrow morning.

decryption
4th October 2011, 04:50 PM
My predictions are.

New iPhone named 4s. Hardware will be close to the iPad 2 with the A5 running at 1GHz with 1GB of RAM. The camera will be upgraded to 8MP with better quality for low light photos. Storage will come in 16-32 and 64GB. Colors will stay black or white.

We will see a new iPod touch that will match all those leaked case photos.

iOS5 will be given a release date, with the GM being released tomorrow morning.

Yup - sounds about right to me. Anything in addition to this would be gravy.

Ecto1
4th October 2011, 06:27 PM
I would like to see the touch go 3G. Part of me say yes but another say no, that's what the iPhone is for.

NathR32
4th October 2011, 06:43 PM
There has to be a design change or I will cry. Not that there is anything wrong with the 4, it is just that has been about 14 months, and I need more than just internal changes.
A bigger screen would be nice.

Ecto1
4th October 2011, 07:08 PM
I don't see why people are calling for a design change. We didn't see a huge design change in the iPhone>iPhone 3G it just got slimmer. As did the 3G>3Gs. The biggest design change came in the iP4. I think the only design change we will see is with the antenna structure to what the CDMA iPhone has.

mmulhern
4th October 2011, 08:25 PM
I don't see why people are calling for a design change. We didn't see a huge design change in the iPhone>iPhone 3G it just got slimmer. As did the 3G>3Gs. The biggest design change came in the iP4. I think the only design change we will see is with the antenna structure to what the CDMA iPhone has.

A design change is needed as the iP4 is too boxy, with sharp edges and out of sync with the current Apple design. I'd like to see something reminiscent of the iP3/Gs, but with a tapered profile in line with the MBAs.

Stez
4th October 2011, 08:30 PM
New iPhone design, white iPod Touch with better specs, iOS 5 GM.

Specs for the new iPhone are nailed down pretty much regardless of design, I think that 1GB RAM will be much more then needed (which is a good thing!) and hopefully the graphics and CPU bring improved speeds to everyday tasks and most importantly gaming. Will we start to see ''optimized for iPhone 5'' appearing in app updates just like we did with the iPad 2? I hope so.

LevMac
4th October 2011, 09:18 PM
I hope you are right Stez, exactly what I'm hoping for too buddy :)

New iPhone design, white iPod Touch with better specs, iOS 5 GM.

Specs for the new iPhone are nailed down pretty much regardless of design, I think that 1GB RAM will be much more then needed (which is a good thing!) and hopefully the graphics and CPU bring improved speeds to everyday tasks and most importantly gaming. Will we start to see ''optimized for iPhone 5'' appearing in app updates just like we did with the iPad 2? I hope so.

gikku
4th October 2011, 09:25 PM
last year I got two unlocked iphone4s from vodafone for $240, thanks to their #vodafail, not a bad deal in the end for a few phone calls.

so the question;
Is it worth trying to cancel a vodafone contract via the tio again this year?

Maybe use the wife's maiden name this year? mmmm, ...

idiesel
4th October 2011, 10:19 PM
What's the go with the stories I'm seeing about Sprint in the US signing a $20Bn deal for the iPhones?

Is it an exclusivity thing like AT&T had?

Link (http://scitech.foxnews.mobi/quickPage.html?page=23952&content=57775466&pageNum=-1)

rav3n
4th October 2011, 10:59 PM
What's the go with the stories I'm seeing about Sprint in the US signing a $20Bn deal for the iPhones?

its no doubt either some form of exclusive hardware or early release, or a commitment to apple so sprint can actually offer the iphone(atm I dont think they do?)

ravage221
4th October 2011, 11:06 PM
That report also stipulates that the redesigned iPhone aka Sprint iPhone / iPhone 5 would see a global release using HSPA+ and WiMAX where applicable. Telstra?

Edit: And you were right by the way, Sprint does not currently carry the iPhone but have been widely rumoured to gain it this time round.

adamd
5th October 2011, 12:55 AM
Long time since I've posted on here... found this on MacRumors and thought I'd add flame to the fire...

http://go.i3network.net/1ca

kevinnugent
5th October 2011, 10:18 AM
Pretty accurate, in hindsight, Adam.

Dust For Eyes
5th October 2011, 09:44 PM
Anyone watched the actual keynote?

Notice the empty reserved chair in the front row?

rav3n
5th October 2011, 10:10 PM
Anyone watched the actual keynote?

Notice the empty reserved chair in the front row?

I'd like to think that it was for lord steve. I imagine he watched the event from the comfort of his sofa instead.