PDA

View Full Version : Disappearing admin account

jasondotcom
23rd November 2005, 09:54 AM
Does anyone have any ideas how I might fix this problem? My account on my PowerMac running OSX 10.3.9 has spontaneously downgraded itself from an admin account to a standard account. This leaves me with no admin account for the machine, which is a bit of a problem really. I have no idea what I might have done to cause this, it just seems to have happened all by itself!

I'm thinking my best option might be to back up all my data and try to reinstall and start again, but I think I'll have problems when I'm asked for an admin name and password during the install. Any ideas?

Mac Aid
23rd November 2005, 11:19 PM
If you have to re-install, you can boot from the install CD by holding the CD key down as you start, and you will avoid the password issue in that respect. You will need to do an archive install, without preserving existing users.

Did you play in netinfo manager at all?

If you are brave, you can try to boot from the install CD, and change the root password. (there is a reset password command in one of the menus) This should enable the root user. You can then try changeing the admin status of your account, or creating a new account, and when asked to authenticate, enter the root credentials.

I'd back-up your user data first just incase.

jasondotcom
5th December 2005, 02:43 PM
Thanks for this reply, I only just noticed it. Yeah I didn't get far with netinfo manager because of the admin password issue (ie. I seem to need one to make any changes in there). I did get some instructions on resetting the password as you've suggested and did try that but ran into some problem which I can't quite remember now. Basically it didn't do what it should have. I had to borrow a wired keyboard to do so, so it's not something I can quickly have another go at.

I suspect doing a reinstall is going to be my easiest, albeit most tedious, option here. I wish I knew how this happened in the first place!