PDA

View Full Version : Tiger upgrade has killed my Powerbook!

cbennie
22nd November 2005, 06:44 PM
Hi everyone - I'll get straight to the point.

Upgraded to 10.4 last night....no hassles. Did a standard upgrade. Rebooted....beautiful. I then clicked on software update which showed (from memory) the follwing required updates:
Java
10.4.1-10.4.4 combined upgrade
Quicktime 7.03

There were a few other bits but I didn't bother with them - itunes phone, ipod update etc.

I set the three to run and then went to bed to let it do its thing. Got up this morning to see a message stating that there was not enough HD space to fit the updates on (it's a work machine with a partitioned disc and the system disc is getting full). So I cancelled everything, closeed the lid and went to work. When I got to work and opened it I saw the dreaded 'You need to restart' in multiple languages (my desktop was greyed out in the background). So I restarted and only got as far as the 'rotating circle/disc' with the greyish Apple in the middle and that was it. I tried a couple of more times - same deal. I hooked the PB up to a emac in target disc mode - my two (partitioned drives) appeared. Just in case it was a space issue, I freed up at least 2 gig but made no difference. So I turned the machine off until I came home tonight and booted from the Tiger disc, redid the install but no success. I then repaired permissions (some repairs required) and did a disc repair (no repairs required). Now when I restart, I get the grey screen, greyish Apple in the middle but no circle/disc spinning and no sound of an active HD. It is worse now that I have re-installed and repaired.

I have got a carbon copy clone back-up on a portable Hard drive and I also have a copy of Disc Warrior (does it work under 10.4?).

I don't really know where to go from here - do I try Disc Warrior? Do I reinstall the back-up? Is there something else I can try. Really don't want to have to format the drive if avoidable......

I don't think this is a consideration but at the same time as the upgrade I put in an extra 512MB of RAM. It's Amicroe RAM but is PC2700 - not PC2100 but I was lead to believe this wouldn't be a problem......true?

All suggestions appreciated....

Thanks

Chris

The Architect.mac
22nd November 2005, 06:51 PM
take Ram out for starters to check that side of the equation.

Then target disk mode again and pull off all the data,

then i would reformat and go from scratch but others will answer your Disk Warrior and Carbon Clone queries.

Also - post your machine specs

cbennie
22nd November 2005, 07:25 PM
Put the old RAM in.......no change

Machine is a 12 inch Powerbook 867 Mhz - 640 MEG RAM, 40 Gig drive. Airport card installed.......ummmm.....not sure what else is worth putting down.......

Rayd
22nd November 2005, 10:03 PM
your system is fuged, also 10.4.4? i think you mean 10.4.3 :) but anyway, you need another mac with firewire so you can target disk mode. but if you cant do that, then just pop the install CD in again, and do a archive install of 10.4 again so you dont loose your data. :D

cbennie
22nd November 2005, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by ipod_man@Nov 22 2005, 10:03 PM
your system is fuged, also 10.4.4? i think you mean 10.4.3 :) but anyway, you need another mac with firewire so you can target disk mode. but if you cant do that, then just pop the install CD in again, and do a archive install of 10.4 again so you dont loose your data. :D
my bad on the 10.4.4....oops

I have tried installing Tiger again.....admittedly not an Archive and Install, just a standard install, but to no avail. I can't see how and A&I would make a difference....but I'm willing to give it a go if you think it will make a difference.

I am using my wife's clamshell so can use target mode....but I assume you mention this so as to be able to back-up my system....if so, then this is already taken care of - I have a backup of my 10.3.9 setup on my firewire drive.......will revert to this if all else fails.

Or are you eluding to doing something else here that I'm not getting?

Rayd
22nd November 2005, 10:23 PM
a standard install did nothing? an archive install will do nothing either.. do you have any 3rd party ram installed? if so take it out and try again. if still no avail. just clean install it, you said you have backups so it isnt a problem. but i guess you could try a PRAM reset, but that will probly do nothing. but worth a shot anyway.