PDA

View Full Version : how did case makers find out so quickly ?

CaseShack
18th September 2011, 09:44 PM
i'm already getting emails from iphone case makers about iphone5 cases, i doubt they know what it will look like, however after each release some case makers did offer and ship the then just released ( iphone 3 or 4 ) within a day or so.
they must have some insider to be able to make them so quickly.

andyrb
18th September 2011, 10:10 PM
i'm already getting emails from iphone case makers about iphone5 cases, i doubt they know what it will look like, however after each release some case makers did offer and ship the then just released ( iphone 3 or 4 ) within a day or so.

Could be a couple of things. If the cases are genuine then I suspect they probably have leaked information.

If they don't actually have the cases available, they probably get a unit on launch day, use it to create a cast and mould the cases from there. I'm guessing that once the cast is made you could manufacture the cases reasonably quickly.

nibbles
19th September 2011, 05:38 PM
I'm pretty sure Belkin and a couple of other larger companies get the specs early directly from Apple but in no way put cases for sale early or even market them, they are just shipped to Apple Stores to be ready on day one. I'd imagine the ones you are being notified about are just made from mixes of rumours they have seen, then the day info is released they get cracking on making ones to specification.

ednap
19th September 2011, 07:11 PM

Can you post the emails you have received?

snark
19th September 2011, 08:04 PM
I'm pretty sure Belkin and a couple of other larger companies get the specs early directly from Apple but in no way put cases for sale early or even market them, they are just shipped to Apple Stores to be ready on day one.

Yep - same as the tech sites that can post detailed reviews the day the new product ships. They get access to the stuff before it launches, but can't publish until it does. No doubt they sign a pretty strict non-disclosure agreement for the privilege.

The_Hawk
19th September 2011, 08:13 PM
many of the ones you see in photo's are probably quick and dirty mock up's rather than one of a full production run since they are unlikely to know what's what just yet...

CaseShack
20th September 2011, 04:10 PM
Can you post the emails you have received?

To caseshack.com.au,

Please check attachment for PI and photo of iPhone5 cases, I just write sample price for you.

My MSN is OOOO@hotmail.com. Please add me, then I will send you more pictures.

Best regards
OOOO

OOOO Technology Co.,Ltd

Add: OOOO, Heshengjia Industry area, Dalang Viliage, Longhua, Shenzhen, China

that's one email.. I "OOOO" some private info

glacierdave
20th September 2011, 05:17 PM
Some manufacturers are just guessing on the basis that they can ramp up production quickly once the product gets released.

Other manufacturers will have been provided with preview material so that there's a good range of accessories on release - after all, Apple likes a lot of accessories being available, it helps make their products more popular than other brands because people like to use something that's been personalised.

Belkin leaked a couple of weeks back (I tweeted about it at the time) with fair to middling images of new designs for the upcoming range. I'd be fairly sure they've got an inside look at the product to be ready but would also guess that my account rep wasn't supposed to be releasing that info just yet.

David