PDA

View Full Version : iPad power issues.

Bigtime
15th September 2011, 01:49 PM
Hi all,

I'm new to this, please bear with me. I bought a new 32 Gb iPad2 Wifi from Dicky smith for the daughter's birthday. She's been using it for a week old now and she's telling me that the ipad turns off when the power level drops below 25%. I'm 300kn away, and going by what she's telling me. Is it a case of something in the settings, or the indicator of a possible fault?

I also bought a 64 Gig model for the missus at the same time., she reports no problems so far.

Any ideas all?

Erwin
15th September 2011, 01:55 PM
Never had this happen to me - is she talking about the automatic sleep setting after a defined time? The only other thing I can think of is that the iPad is new, so the battery percentage is still trying to learn what 0%-100% is...

Bigtime
15th September 2011, 04:06 PM
Never had this happen to me - is she talking about the automatic sleep setting after a defined time? The only other thing I can think of is that the iPad is new, so the battery percentage is still trying to learn what 0%-100% is...

I'll certianly talk to her about the sleep function. If it's anything like conditioning a laptop battery, I'll have to get her to get it to run until it shuts down and recharge it. When in doubt, read the instructions I guess. Mind you, the wife's ipad hasn't had a hiccup yet, though the daughter's ipad has had as much use in the week as the wife's will get in 6 months : ).

Klytia
15th September 2011, 07:37 PM
Bigtime, do the full discharge, then re-charge, just one complete cycle, if it's still giving grief I would do a reset on iTunes and reload everything back on....

Let us know how you go....

Mick

Bigtime
17th September 2011, 07:15 PM
[QUOTE=Klytia;1121980]Bigtime, do the full discharge, then re-charge, just one complete cycle, if it's still giving grief I would do a reset on iTunes and reload everything back on....

Let us know how you go....

Thanks for the advice,

We a full discharge and a complete reset as well last night and things seemed to set themselves right for most of the day. My daughter booked an appointment at the Apple store in Chermside yesterday. Unfortunately we were caught in traffic and they weren't very accomodating about being late. I managed to speak with someone and the opinion is that it'll simply be replaced. I'm not too impressed with the way the staff treat customers with issues at times. Granted our lateness wasn't their fault, but there's literally no room for flexibility. It's like trying to order a Big Mac without lettuce, see how they cope. Anyway, we managed to get another appointment tomorrow, we'll see how it goes then..

Klytia
17th September 2011, 07:33 PM
Well at least you have a store to go to, I have to fly / drive to Chermside, it would be around 1200k's, so be grateful. Apple staff in Australia are usually pretty good and any issues i have had with any of my i devices have been promptly attended to over the telephone, still we are

dealing with the humans here so i can understand that you might get an over stressed "genius" from the genius bar. Let them know tomorrow about your treatment, I would!

So the reset did work, how is the iPad going today? Are you getting anywhere near the 10 hours?

Just remember if your running graphic hungry apps, they will suck charge like no tomorrow.

Bigtime
17th September 2011, 10:33 PM
still we are dealing with the humans here so i can understand that you might get an over stressed "genius" from the genius bar. Let them know tomorrow about your treatment, I would!

So the reset did work, how is the iPad going today? Are you getting anywhere near the 10 hours?

Just remember if your running graphic hungry apps, they will suck charge like no tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Sadly the ipad is still shutting down at 32% now instead of 25%. The ipad reaches 32% power level and shuts down. I expect a replacement is in order. I'll know tomorrow.

Bigtime
24th September 2011, 05:19 PM
Well, we finally got to see someone at Chermside Apple store (we beat the traffic this time). They went the whole nine yards with a complete reset and firmware upgrade. That seemed to do the trick for a day. Then it started to play up again for a few hours. Then the iPad decided to play nice and is working fine now. I suppose it just needed a while to settle down. I wonder if the new OS upgrade will settle the issue once and for all. Still, there's always Applecare ; ).

Thanks all for the help.