PDA

View Full Version : Scratchless

Honey
16th August 2004, 05:01 PM
Hello,
well i'd like to say i hav got mi ipod clickwheel, and i've had it only 4 a day and it already has scratches on it!!argh.. :o
i really want it scratch free
does anyone know what to do?or any things icould try?that arent tooxpensive??

OziMac
16th August 2004, 05:09 PM
Get this - my 4g iPod cam out of the box ALREADY with a scratch on the screen. Nice.

Try the IceCream or Ipod cleaner reviewed at www.ipodlounge.com - I haven't found anywhere local that sells it.

Honey
16th August 2004, 05:21 PM
buga..2bad u had a scratch on it hey.. <_<
so there isnt anythin that u could do 2 get scratches away..like anythin natural??
bumma if it aint..
coz i cant get anythin if its TOTTALLY worth it..
whats the accessory 4 ipod thats tottaly worth it like its wort buyin it?
i&#39;d like 2 get somethin so it wont scratch..anythin in local areas?
besides that icecreme thing..
and that other thing u told me
from honey

OziMac
16th August 2004, 05:25 PM
Well, to prevent it from scratching, you&#39;re best bet is to buy a case.

Apple has a highly overpriced case that is no longer included with the iPods.

iSkin has cases for the old iPods that MIGHT work, depending on thickness of the case / your iPod. They will have some 4g iPod cases soon.

Radtech will soon have a PodSleev for the 4g iPod - these look awesome, but mean you will never actually see the face of your iPod so long as you want to protect it.

Marware has its sports cases that hold the iPod but do not provide access to the controls. The Crumpler John Thursday is similar.

Belkin has an iPod leather case that leaves open the entire face of the iPod.

STM has the old iPod armour which leaves a gap for the 1g/2g wheel that is the same size as the 4g clickwheel (though the 40GB is a quite a tight fit in this).

Other than that - if you want to protect yor iPod naturally - take very good care of it&#33; :)

Honey
16th August 2004, 07:36 PM
Hey r the iskins in local stores?
is it possible u could get ipod accessries in like sydney markets in da city 4 cheapER?
what stores supple iskins?

jobe
17th August 2004, 09:49 PM
I&#39;ve been looking at this skins on ebay for a while and really want to get one for my 3rd g Ipod but some look uberchunky. Can anyone recomend one that is really thin.

Some of them are displayed with coloured scroll wheel and controls... does the skin actually cover them? because wouldn&#39;t that stop the controls from working (the controls are heat activated right..?)

Ozi
17th August 2004, 09:53 PM
http://www.frequency.com.au/sales/ipodmini_accessories/

Australian site, great range. :)

yinyang
17th August 2004, 10:40 PM
you can also try this place for iskins etc...

http://www.macmall.com.au/mall/customer/ho...c6626758dce4646 (http://www.macmall.com.au/mall/customer/home.php?cat=467&xid=b6a3e6cb4117481dec6626758dce4646)

and this guy does the australian distribution for lajo iskins...

http://www.ausipodskins.biz/

Cam
18th August 2004, 01:32 AM
i heard something in a magazine about brasso metal cleaner. Anyone know of this?

kim jong il
18th August 2004, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by Cam@Aug 18 2004, 01:32 AM
i heard something in a magazine about brasso metal cleaner. Anyone know of this?
An interesting idea. These types of metal polishes contain an incredibly fine grained abrasive and as such will work in the same way that CD/DVD repair kits work: polish away the scratch leaving the plastic slightly thinner but free of optical distortion. I&#39;d try a dedicated plastic polishing compound as contained in a CD repair kit before BRASSO if I could. However, BRASSO is cheap. You could always try polishing out scratches on a dead CD to see if it works first before attacking your ipod.

Honey
18th August 2004, 10:04 AM
i was reading the review on ipodlounge.com and someone said after the review that they used like a car polish thing 4 the car wheels, and if u used it on the ipod, it would give the ipod metal a better than new shine...
does anyone know of this or anywhere in sutho shire that has it?i think it is called: Gold Class All Metal Restorer
G-9110 accordin 2 ipodlounge
but i think thats only in the US but does Australia have anythin similar to it?
at my highschool, i think they have something similar in metal work, it was a product they used to get the scratches away, im not very keen on goin 2 the metal work room to stick my ipod into some pot of metal cleaners..
would a CD cleaner work on ipods? do they even hav em in shops?
from honey

kim jong il
18th August 2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Honey@Aug 18 2004, 10:04 AM
i was reading the review on ipodlounge.com and someone said after the review that they used like a car polish thing 4 the car wheels, and if u used it on the ipod, it would give the ipod metal a better than new shine...

An alloy wheel metal polish is available in australia "autosol" Just about any auto accessories store will stock this or a similar product. (auto barn, repco, bursons.......automotive parts suppliers generally - whoever you have in sydney). It is specifically for aluminum and a good product (a polish for aluminum makes sense because as the metal is soft, the polish is very gentle)

BEFORE YOU START: please, please practice on a (for plastic) dead CD (media that is) and see what your results are like. For metal an old aluminum utensil (e.g. saucepan will give you a solid surface to practice on) DO NOT PRACTICE ON YOUR ipod (once you start you CANNOT UN-polish it so the area affected would always look different if you did not like the results)

yinyang
18th August 2004, 01:58 PM
just got an email from:

http://www.speckproducts.com/

about their new 4g ipod cases - pre order for later this month&#33;

Honey
18th August 2004, 02:13 PM
hey whats the average price for the covers?could you buy them locally? not by the net? see i saw 1 in the apple centre mag, since i was tryin 2 find the 20GB 4th generation, surprisingly found it at target, and that was da onli place i could find..anyway, there is teh Jam Jacket which it sez "The best available scratch protecter for you iPod. Made form translucent rubber. Fits you iPod like a glove.......then 49 bucks...huh&#33;&#33;??...i didnt know they were like 50 bucks&#33;&#33;
isnt there a place where u can get it 4 cheapER like the Sydney Markets?they sell cheap fone covers y cant they hav cheap ipod covers

jameso
23rd August 2004, 12:07 PM
I have had 2 cases for my iPod, the first was a cheep (i got it for &#036;10 off a guy who was given it when he got his iPod) clear plastic number that kept my ipod scratch free but had no belt clip. The second one i got was a &#036;70 iSkin that had a plasic belt clip and was made out of some form of rubber/silicon/plastic. It was a nice little case but i broke the best clip in about a week. I found that unless you get one second hand off someone or off ebay they tend to be very pricey. You wont find them at your local markets yet because they are still a fringe product (unless you live in NY) so its not worth it to run a stall selling iPod cases. I actually saw an ipod case for &#036;3 on ebay but it was made out of a sock so i don&#39;t think it will do its job well. In the end i gave up and just dealt with the scratches that i got on my ipod, the only reason i wrap my iPod (well, my iPod mini now, i sold my 3rd gen) up is so i can clip it onto my belt.

On a side note, as kim said above, practice on something else if you are going to polish your iPod and if you want to be really really cheep you can use tooth paste instead of brass off but it will take more time. (and if your not careful could stain your ipod.. so use white =)

sillydog701
23rd September 2004, 11:24 PM
I tried iCleaner (http://www.ipodcleaner.com/) to remove scratches. Although there are still have some fine scratches left, I am pretty happy with the result.

before:
http://mac.sillydog.org/archives/pic/ipodfront03_before.jpg

I applied small amount of iCleaner to the cloth included and to the white face and LCD of the iPod, and followed the instruction. Then applied iCleaner Back and Deep Scratch Polish to the metal side of the iPod and again followed the instruction. I do not use a lot of the iCleaner and polish, however I can notice the improvement.

after:
http://mac.sillydog.org/archives/pic/ipodfront02_after.jpg

(a more detailed post (http://mac.sillydog.org/archives/000391.php))

jobe
25th September 2004, 02:15 AM
where did you buy the icleaner from? Is there any australian distributors? I shot off an e-mail to nextbyte but it&#39;s unlikely that they&#39;ll stock it or even know what it is.

group buy perhaps?

wickeddigital
25th September 2004, 07:41 AM
We import iCleaner products ourselves and you can get it from our web site: www.wickeddigital.com.au

ARB
25th September 2004, 10:24 AM
I bought some iCleaner from Wicked Digital a couple of weeks ago - and can definitely recommend them and the iCleaner.

The polish works, but it takes a while to achieve an &#39;as new&#39; finish. It would be fair to say that for good results, you will probably need to devote an hour to the back and front of your iPod if it is reasonably scratched.

Wax on, wax off.

sillydog701
25th September 2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by jobe@Sep 25 2004, 02:15 AM
where did you buy the icleaner from? Is there any australian distributors?
I ordered it directly from the iCleaner site, since they only charge US&#036;1.75 more than regular shipping to US and Canada. You can try wicked digit.

Honey
25th September 2004, 11:22 AM
Hey, jameso, u got an iskin 4 70 bucks? :o thats quite a lot for a cover, I looked at the AppleCentre flyer about a month ago, just before i got my ipod since they didnt stock the one i wanted, and they had the 4th Generation 20GB Iskin for about 30-49dollars. It sounds they ripped u off for a 70 dollar cover, or it must be a preety god damn good one.
The iSkins on the website, they are in American Dollars, could someone convert it for me? i think it is 29.99USD ( i dont know what USD means) does any places stock iSkins? i am not very sure on buy online since nowadays, my computer is mostly filled with viruses..by the way, do u know how 2 get rid of adware? i ran my dell xp computer with norton antivirus 2004, and when it finished, it came up with 5 viruses, i think 3 Adwares, there was one called SargEnt or something a rather, and i can remember the other one. I tried to delete them but the didnt delete.. :angry:
From Honey

Honey
25th September 2004, 11:54 AM
How much is the iCleaner? Does any apple stores have them? From the photos that someone has shown, it looks like they work quite well, my ipod doesnt look very good, but i do use it everyday, most of the time, i On the front it has a very deep looking scratch to me, and on the bac, first day i got my ipod, i got a very deep scratch on the back, i think it is because my work table i do my work on isnt very smooth causing it to scratch. Now on the back part of my ipod it has many scratches, and when i say many I MEAN ALOT. about 3-5 deep ones and a lot of light scratches. i want to get rid of them, and maybe get an iSkin, they do sell them on the internet, has anyone bout one yet?

ARB
25th September 2004, 12:12 PM
Honey, has anyone ever told you that you can be exhausting to listen to&#33;? :)
I realise you&#39;ve got lots of questions, but if you can ask 1-2 at a time, you might get better responses&#33;

internet
1st November 2004, 01:37 PM
i think i&#39;ll buy a bit of this from wicked digital

bloody plastic case i bought has left marks on my ipod :( :(

daz
3rd November 2004, 12:36 PM
Bought the icleaner form wicked digital the other week for my ibook.
Worked well in getting light scratches out and generallya m pretty pleased. I say it wouldn&#39;t 100% remove some scratches but to a level that you are happy with. Takes a fair bit of elbow grease&#33;

internet
5th November 2004, 08:24 PM
i just used the icecream cleaner product.
my STM case was the wrong one, so consequently it got scratched, so i told STM and they sent me some of aforementioned scratch cleaner..

worked an absolute treat&#33; looks pretty much brand new&#33;#@&#33;&#33;&#33; so happy :)

of course it&#39;s not perfect, but it&#39;s damn near close..

OziMac
5th November 2004, 11:07 PM
Out of interest, how was your STM case the wrong one, where did you buy it from, and why did they feel they&#39;d made a mistake and compelled to send you some cleaner?

I also had an STM case that left marks on my 4G iPod, but I would never have thought there was grounds for action simply for using the wrong case.

internet
6th November 2004, 03:28 PM
the skin was labelled "4G 20GB" and it was too big for a 20GB, turned out to be an incorrectly labelled 40gb skin

i complained and they fixed :)

Phillip
6th November 2004, 08:39 PM
The iPod Socks are available on the Australian iPod Store now&#33; :D &#036;47