PDA

View Full Version : things to check

Jmi
16th August 2004, 04:57 PM
Hey guys,
I am going to order a pb this week. Just wanna know what are the stuff I should do when I collect it. Is it possible for me to ask them to fire it up and check that its all working and watch out for dead pixel??

In fact, i dun even know how a dead pixel looks like :P

spargo
16th August 2004, 06:09 PM
Same goes here..

My custom-build 15"er and new 40Gb iPod should be arriving at the store this week and i'd also like to know if there's anything I should check for before walking out the door (on both P'book & iPod)..

The sales guys at my shop have been really good so far so i wouldn't expect any probs if there is a defect - however if others have had 'out of the box' issues, could you post them so that Jmi and I can play it safe..

cheers and thanks in advance,

Byrd
16th August 2004, 06:45 PM
They want your money, the least they could do is fire it up to ensure that there are no dead pixels. I've found a number of Apple dealers to be pretty good about this.

A 'dead pixel' is a defect of the TFT screen produced during manufacture. These screens are hard to fabricate without errors, although this seems to be getting improving (most would disagree though :)). It's usually characterised by a pixel that no longer illuminates with the rest of the screen, usually 'stuck' as a white or black dot (or less commonly red, green or blue).

It's harder to spot a dead pixel as resolution increases. When you're in the store checking ot your screen, try loading TextEdit (a large white background), along with a dark wallpaper on the desktop. Check carefully to see if there are any anomolies. If you're not working in graphic design, I wouldn't be too concerned if you come across one or two dead pixels (which will be teeny tiny under a high resolution Powerbook TFT). If there are more or are very noticeable, I'd ask for a replacement.

JB

Ozi
16th August 2004, 06:55 PM
As soon as you get the powerbook, download this clever, simple, free application, Pixel Check. http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/11661

It will immediately show any stuck pixels up, and fortunately I dont have any. But this program completely covers your screen in a range of colours, so that any stuck or dead pixel immediately shows up.

Also, if you find you do have one, gentle rubbing of it will sometimes help it disappear. Just gently "massage" the screen where the pixel is, and it may well reset itself and come "unstuck" :)

frenchtoast
16th August 2004, 07:05 PM
Thats part of the reason i hope my ibook comes back repaired rather then replaced as i havent had any problems with stuck pixels