PDA

View Full Version : Tiger / Classic Prob

f1_power
21st November 2005, 12:25 AM
Hi everyone,

I've installed Classic support from Disk 2 of my OS X Restore DVDs and when I try run Classic it loads up the Happy Mac then freezes at the Welcome to Mac OS screen for OS 9 with the top progress bar not moving at all.

Does anyone know what sort of problem this could be and how I could rectify it!

Hamster
21st November 2005, 02:48 AM
What a co-incidence!!! I just logged in to ATau to post this exact same question :-)

I'm sorry I don't have a solution to the problem, but I can assure you you're not alone.

In anycase, I can boot to OS9 with no probs, but I can't run it from within OSX.

I'm running 10.4.3.

H.

kim jong il
21st November 2005, 06:01 AM
Look, I still have yet to see an OSX 10.4 disk that includes OS 9. The classic environment is not the same as the actual OS. The reason it probably stalls is that it cant find a version of OS 9.x.x to boot into the classic environment. No OS. No action.

kim

PS and BTW, for proof I would have to see at least a verifiable partial file list from an installer DVD that has a folder with contents that say 'install OS 9.x.x.'

Hamster
21st November 2005, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by kim jong il@Nov 20 2005, 10:01 PM
The reason it probably stalls is that it cant find a version of OS 9.x.x to boot into the classic environment. No OS. No action.

But OS 9 is installed on my system. I installed it from my original OS 9 disks before I put Tiger on.

Also, I can boot to OS 9 without any problems. So there is definitely an OS 9 system folder on my machine, I just can't run it from within OS X.

Or am I failing to understand something?

Danamania
21st November 2005, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by kim jong il@Nov 21 2005, 06:01 AM
Look, I still have yet to see an OSX 10.4 disk that includes OS 9. The classic environment is not the same as the actual OS. The reason it probably stalls is that it cant find a version of OS 9.x.x to boot into the classic environment. No OS. No action.

kim

PS and BTW, for proof I would have to see at least a verifiable partial file list from an installer DVD that has a folder with contents that say 'install OS 9.x.x.'
http://www.danamania.com/temp/restoredisk.jpg
That's what's on mine (the equivalent to the restore disk that f1_power has.

Opening "Install Applications & Classic Support" indeed installs Classic ...

As for why neither Hamster or f1_power can get to Classic, I don't know. Hamster's mac certainly has OS9 on there, and f1_power wouldn't get the MacOS 9 screen without it installed.

dana

Danamania
21st November 2005, 09:14 AM
I've taken a look around the apple kbase. A couple of options to try are:

In the Classic pref pane, under Advanced you have the option to start Classic with extensions off - that may help diagnose an extension that's causing problems with os9 under osx.

Another is to pop into Disk Utility, and under the File menu is "Fix OS9 Permissions", which takes about 30 seconds here. Then try restarting Classic.

As for anything else - there are a bunch of documents at http://search.info.apple.com/?search=Go&lr...c%20environment (http://search.info.apple.com/?search=Go&lr=lang_en&kword=&q=classic%20environment) with advice on what to do with various issues, some just explaining how things work etc. Going through those might help :)

dana

kim jong il
22nd November 2005, 10:56 PM
Thanks for getting me to eat my words Dana :) (but my disk still does not have it and is the same as my experience with 10.3)

kim

PS re the earlier reply where you had already installed OS 9 previously; did I hear somewhere that 10.4 would only support 9.2.2 in the classic environment? or was that 9.2.1. Sorry, Dana is the guru.