PDA

View Full Version : iphone 5 out in the next few months

torana355
5th September 2011, 06:14 PM
With the iphone 5 due out soon what are people doing that are on 24 month contracts with the iphone 4? I got my iphone 4 at launch night with Telstra and just wanted to know if there would be a way to upgrade to the ip5?

mitty
5th September 2011, 10:02 PM
^That's the problem with 24 month contracts. If you want to buy an iphone 5 you'll probably need to pay out your ip4 contract. Or buy it on a new plan with a new number. Or just buy it outright (and wait three or four weeks because no one including Apple will have stock).

vacantengaged
5th September 2011, 11:06 PM
If it's just a small upgrade, a la 3GS vs 3G, I'd wait another 12 months 'til the new new iPhone is out.

idiesel
6th September 2011, 10:14 AM
The other option would be to contact Telstra and see if they will let you upgrade with another 24mth contract

torana355
6th September 2011, 01:19 PM
The other option would be to contact Telstra and see if they will let you upgrade with another 24mth contract

Yeah im going to at least try this idea.

muzza1975
7th September 2011, 05:22 PM
iphone 5 will be available in OZ last week of october, bigger screen, curved back , not sure about a 64gb but will let you know when i find out

decryption
7th September 2011, 05:32 PM
Keep contract - buy iPhone 5 outright from Apple. That's my plan if Telstra doesn't do some sort of upgrade deal.

torana355
8th September 2011, 01:16 PM
Keep contract - buy iPhone 5 outright from Apple. That's my plan if Telstra doesn't do some sort of upgrade deal.

Will Telstra be able to sell outright on the launch night?

Basti
9th September 2011, 09:46 PM
Will Telstra be able to sell outright on the launch night?

I doubt it, when iPhone 4 came out, I was in line waiting outside an Apple store on launch day, while Telstra had early / leftover stock (from mid-night launch) and they were trying to persuade us in line to sign up with them, but they only want to sell it on contract, don't blame them, $2000+ over 24 months is way better margin than sell it to you outright - of course good for fu'king telcos, not us - That's why I only buy outright yearly - all up I may spend $1480 per year ($1000 big-daddy iPhone, $40 p/m BYO Prepaid - so no chance Telco can screw you with a bigger bill), much better than getting on a 24 months contract since you can sell the old iPhone for at least your yearly service fees ($480) so I get a new iPhone every year, which ever telco that's better at the time :p and flexible to change. Also my warranty covers the period I have my iPhone (without needing to pay Apple Care) so another plus to upgrade yearly.

I pay the same or less than you would on a contract and I get the shinny new toy I want on day 1, year in, year out. :nerd:

LithgowLights
10th September 2011, 08:11 AM
I was under contract in the past. Now I will NEVER get another contract, and would prefer to buy my phones outright and put it on whatever plan I want, with whatever teleco I want. We had close to 18 months of no service at home, but Optus would not release us from the plan even though they admitted the drop in signal in our area was their fault.

Mychael
10th September 2011, 09:12 AM
We had close to 18 months of no service at home, but Optus would not release us from the plan even though they admitted the drop in signal in our area was their fault.

I got released from my Optus contract 6 months early but I had to lodge a complaint with the TIO to get it done.

kyte
19th September 2011, 05:05 PM
Will Telstra be able to sell outright on the launch night? Do NOT feel tempted to buy "outright" from Telstra. I did this with my 3GS and they *still* locked it, and hit me with a $150 unlock fee. I'm on prepaid, they were not subsidising the phone, and they did not even give me another SIM to activate and play with. A rort if ever there was one. I'll only buy from Apple, now. (That said, I think if you are on postpaid, they *might* not lock it, but I would not depend on that)

idiesel
19th September 2011, 08:11 PM
Telstra dropped that $150 unlocking fee didn't they???

mitty
19th September 2011, 08:18 PM
^Correct. All iphone unlocks have been free for some time with Telstra. But if you were buying outright, I think it makes more sense just to buy it from Apple.

Exocet
19th September 2011, 08:20 PM
The time Telstra were charging the $150 unlock fee was before Apple had a significant retail presence or sold them direct in-store.

karter
19th September 2011, 09:03 PM
iphone 5 will be available in OZ last week of october, bigger screen, curved back , not sure about a 64gb but will let you know when i find out
Care to confirm with a source?

kiwijohn
19th September 2011, 10:31 PM
Meh, I'll wait another year. Nowt wrong with my 4 & I have a Telstra bundle as well. No other mobile service in Tas worth bothering with.
I will have to take the wife in to get a 5 on launch night though.

dekco
19th September 2011, 11:30 PM
If I can get a good price to pay out my contract and keep me going, I will definitely be interested in upgrading. Otherwise, I might just shell out for applecare and keep my iphone 4 for another year.

kyte
20th September 2011, 07:10 AM
Telstra dropped that $150 unlocking fee didn't they??? ONLY if you were on post paid. I tried every excuse under the sun, I had been with them for 3 years on prepaid, had no intention of moving (I'm still with them) but wanted the flexibility to sell to others if I wished. I had to pay $150.

The time Telstra were charging the $150 unlock fee was before Apple had a significant retail presence or sold them direct in-store. The local Apple store was not yet open, but the one in George street was, when I bought mine. The online Apple store was available. It was just a bit of impatience on my part that led me to Telstra. I did not want to wait. Later, of course, I wish I had. And it still cost me $150 to unlock it. Only post paid who are stuck on contracts can get a free unlock.

Alec Fraser
20th September 2011, 07:33 AM
Do NOT feel tempted to buy "outright" from Telstra. I did this with my 3GS and they *still* locked it, and hit me with a $150 unlock fee. I'm on prepaid, they were not subsidising the phone, and they did not even give me another SIM to activate and play with. A rort if ever there was one. I'll only buy from Apple, now. (That said, I think if you are on postpaid, they *might* not lock it, but I would not depend on that)

All outright purchased handsets and tablets from Telstra are now unlocked. Prepaid handsets may not be, but there's no reason not to buy outright from them.

robertgd
20th September 2011, 09:29 AM
With the iphone 5 due out soon what are people doing that are on 24 month contracts with the iphone 4? I got my iphone 4 at launch night with Telstra and just wanted to know if there would be a way to upgrade to the ip5?

You could just wait? Why pay out your contract with another 24 month contract? The iPhone 6 will come out next year and you'll want that, too.

Want > Logic, seems to be prevalent.

lama323
20th September 2011, 11:06 PM
You could just wait? Why pay out your contract with another 24 month contract? The iPhone 6 will come out next year and you'll want that, too.

Want > Logic, seems to be prevalent.

Could get a 12 month contract?
Side note - does telstra offer 12 month contracts?