PDA

View Full Version : video conversion

Quasar
16th August 2004, 10:33 AM
Is there a simple way to convert video that uses the xvid codec to something a bit more Mac friendly? Aside from decompressing the whole thing on my PC I mean.

decryption
16th August 2004, 10:45 AM
XVid should work fine if you watch it with VLC.

Quasar
16th August 2004, 10:52 AM
I can watch it with VLC yes. But I'm wanting to include an xvid clip in a iDVD project.

OziMac
16th August 2004, 10:54 AM
Have you tried DiVA?

Quasar
16th August 2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by OziMac@Aug 16 2004, 10:54 AM
Have you tried DiVA?
DiVA?

I'm afraid I'm a newb when it comes to Macs.

purana
17th August 2004, 01:08 PM
How about converting avi xvid/divx clips into mpeg2 streams... ffmpegx seems a little too difficult.. think I need a guide... anyone recommend something to read. I want to convert a serious of files into mpeg streams and put them onto a dvd project with a menu to select them. But not having much luck on the powerbook :(

Sorry to hijack thread, but its all relevant I thought... video conversion nonetheless right.

Disko
17th August 2004, 01:11 PM
If there isnt a guide - then we should band together and get one written for this site. :)

kim jong il
26th August 2004, 12:20 AM
I'm sorry I did not post sooner. If you have quicktime PRO and the codecs for xvid you can open these files in quicktime PRO and export in MANY formats (including effects/enhancements). As I type this my other machine is chugging away on the test file (looks like it will take around 30 minutes for 350 MB at a guess on a G4@500MHz) I have included some enhancement so it will probably take longer than normal.
You can turn it into just about anything you like. It has options I have never heard of (you may have if you muck around with video)
The codecs you would need are: 3ivx, AC3, DivX 5 and ffmpeg. These are all free or open source (also free of course)
NOTE: the activity monitor claims it is exporting at a rate of between 50 KB and 130 KB/second with the processor maxed out. Recalculated time estimate 30 - 115 minutes (closer to the 115 I'm guessing now)

cheers, kim