PDA

View Full Version : Can you customise the tapping speed on an iPad2?

patcanuck
1st September 2011, 11:22 AM
A friend of mine has cerebral palsy and instantly fell in love with the iPad I was using. His dad immediately bought him an iPad2 which presents one small problem. My friend's reading skills are very weak and his dad asked me if there was anyway to have the text "spoken". I quickly googled and found that text-to-speech facility is built into the iPad BUT when you activate it on the iPad2 it alters the other iPad controls. This means that instead of a simple click to launch an app it now requires a double-click. The problem is that the speed required for the double-tap is too fast for him to manage. Is there anyway to customise the tapping/clicking speed on an iPad2 like there is on a macbook?

snark
1st September 2011, 06:54 PM
I can't find any way to do this, nor any gestures to replicate a double-tap - sorry, it seems like you are stuck between two options, neither of which are ideal.

patcanuck
1st September 2011, 08:08 PM
Thanks for at least confirming it isn't just me overlooking something. He did mention whether or not there was a tablet type thing he could tap on with a stylus or not? I'm just wondering if I should send him to the Genius Bar at some Apple Store for more info ............. or perhaps call Apple?

Exocet
1st September 2011, 09:41 PM
The Genius bar won't be able to help, they exist to provide post-sales warranty/non-warranty support. I'd recommend contacting Apple directly.

patcanuck
2nd September 2011, 08:55 AM
Damn. What's the use of a genius if it isn't to solve 'interesting problems". :)
I'd looked at things like "Speak It" but they require the text to be copied and pasted which is even harder to do than double tap an icon. :(