PDA

View Full Version : New iPods

idiesel
29th August 2011, 10:53 AM
Could we see a white iPod touch being announced in September?
Will Apple offer a 128GB version?
And will the current gen Classic iPod with click wheel be the last of it's kind?

Alec Fraser
29th August 2011, 11:37 AM
I don't know if they'll go to 128gig, but I wouldn't be surprised if they went with a white iPod touch now that they've got the paint issue sorted ;)

MrJesseRoss
29th August 2011, 11:49 AM
I never want to see the classic design go away. It's the perfect iPod.

LCGuy
29th August 2011, 04:04 PM
I hope they offer a 128GB Touch - that will be the one thing that will make me upgrade.

Alec Fraser
29th August 2011, 04:14 PM
I wonder if they'll stick flash into the Classic and ditch the hard drive...

the8thark
29th August 2011, 09:16 PM
I think the iPods (especially the classic) will get a total revamp (read discontinuation). And I doubt many if any will survive. Simply because people won't want to have their iPad/iPhone/other phone and and iPod with them. They want it all on one device. And the sales are reflecting this. Less and less people are buying iPods these days. I would not be surprised if the only iPod to survive is the Touch. It's basically an iPhone without the phone pretty much. And Would use many of the same parts as the iPhone would.

davebullard
29th August 2011, 09:31 PM
I have fears for the iPod range, but part of me thinks they'll keep it going. They're perfect for kids, for exercising and for people like me who haver one in the cubby, hard-wired to the car stereo. You don't want an iPhone for any of those, and you don't want a touch for the latter two.

If they discontinue them, the first thing I'll buy is a cheap, run-out Classic.

Ecto1
30th August 2011, 07:19 AM
I think it's time they do away with the classic, shuffle and nano. I can see Apple pushing people on to the App Store, where those 3 iPods can't. As for a 128gb Touch I can't see why not.

Stez
30th August 2011, 09:50 AM
I think it's time they do away with the classic, shuffle and nano. I can see Apple pushing people on to the App Store, where those 3 iPods can't. As for a 128gb Touch I can't see why not.

Not everybody wants to spend $259 on an iPod. The classic will be gone this year, but either the shuffle or nano or both will stay.

idiesel
30th August 2011, 04:25 PM
I think the nano/shuffle are good for exercise - small and light. While they allow Apple to have different price points, I don't see any reason to have both

Dust For Eyes
30th August 2011, 05:17 PM
It seems the iPod is going the way of being a niche provider. Kinda like the role the Mac mini has.

andyrb
30th August 2011, 06:24 PM
There's too many choices when it comes to iPods. A technologically-inept friend wanted an iPod a few weeks ago and after looking at the Apple website gave up and came to me for help.

We have the Shuffle, in one capacity.
Then the Nano, in two capacities.
Then the Touch, in three capacities.
Finally there's the Classic, in two capacities.

Apple could simply drop the Shuffle and Classic altogether (and maybe combine features with the remaining models), and adjusting the price points of the remaining devices downwards slightly would probably still garner respectable sales.

xwing25
7th September 2011, 03:32 PM
there need to be a nano range. Its the perfect size for gym,running/sport. There is no way i am strapping a phone to me. Anything outside of that i could see a good case to ditch

nibbles
7th September 2011, 04:45 PM
I think Apple need to keep the classic, whether or not they do is a different story. Classics are great for in cars, connected to stereos, etc where in some cases you don't want your phone going off while it's playing music to a group of people, or you may want use your phone while also playing music. Nanos and Shuffles could be combined and I think that's what Apple did with the latest Nano, just trialling it and paving the way to make the shuffle obsolete.

snark
7th September 2011, 06:08 PM
I think Apple need to keep the classic, whether or not they do is a different story. Classics are great for in cars, connected to stereos, etc.
Agree. I recently went on a road trip, and plugged my 60 GB hard disk iPod into a third party RF adapter to play through the car stereo. Anything with a phone gets those annoying chirps, and my nano just doesn't have enough capacity

The nano is perfect for day to day use, where I load it up with podcasts and random tracks - but on a road trip, you need a huge selection of music available to suit the mood and the road.

mwot
8th September 2011, 04:30 PM
The shuffles will go but the rest of the range will stay, imho. But the two definite keepers, longer term, would be the nano and the touch.

nibbles
8th September 2011, 04:54 PM
be it a niche market or not, the classic has a place and needs to stay. It's great having that amount of music available in good quality, i'm struggling now with my 32gb Touch, what do I keep and what do I sacrifice.

Stez
8th September 2011, 05:23 PM
be it a niche market or not, the classic has a place and needs to stay. It's great having that amount of music available in good quality, i'm struggling now with my 32gb Touch, what do I keep and what do I sacrifice.

There's just not enough people the same as you buying the classic to keep it alive.

bartron
8th September 2011, 06:46 PM
There's just not enough people the same as you buying the classic to keep it alive.

I fear this is the case. All the innovation is happening in iOS devices. I think the touch will get 128gb and the nano/shuffle will get a new addition and that will be it. The classic has been the same for just on 4 years now without a new design or anything (essentially it hasn't changed since the iPhone 1 came out). The best they could do was reduce it to one model.

Hard drive music players are dead.

jleetj
8th September 2011, 09:35 PM
I would like a cheaper version of the nano, maybe with 2 or 4Gb, that costs around $80 - $100... Would be great for runs. The current 2Gb shuffle for $65 is way too expensive and functionally limited.

OziMac
8th September 2011, 11:54 PM
Now that Apple has successfully replaced the iPod revenue stream with those of the iPhone and iPad, the iPod only remains as a niche tool (exercise / sports) or an entry path to iOS devices. Accordingly, I would think that only the Touch and the Nano will survive past the next event.

I've said it elsewhere, but I'll say it again here (US prices below, since those are how things are primarily set):

Touch: Capacity bump to 16GB / 64GB / 128GB for something like $199 / $279 / $349;
Classic: EOL;
Nano: More 'watch'-like, in the same 8GB / 16GB capacities for $99 / $149;
Shuffle: EOL.
As for the iPhones, I think the capacities will probably change to 32GB / 64GB for the iPhone 5/4S at $149 / $249 subsidised, and 8GB for the iPhone 4 replacement for either $49 subsidised on a plan or perhaps even free.

Remember, the Classic is essentially a ten year-old design (even if it has been tarted up a bit since, it hasn't essentially changed over the past four or five years). The Classic can finally be EOL'd once the Touch comes with a capacity that is similar - ie over 120GB. The current Nano is essentially the Shuffle with a screen (which so many people had been clamouring for years earlier), while incredibly small. Thus those two products are redundant, and we all know how much Apple loves redundancy! :)

bartron
9th September 2011, 11:30 AM
Basically, if you like the classic, get one now.

freeksngeeks
9th September 2011, 12:01 PM
Could we see a white iPod touch being announced in September?
Will Apple offer a 128GB version?
And will the current gen Classic iPod with click wheel be the last of it's kind?

What I'd like is an iPod Classic with capacity up around 500GB. I'd like that form factor capable of holding my entire iTunes library, which is currently around 320GB. The other alternative is getting that Seagate Glflex battery-driven wifi-capable disk drive, and holding your iTunes library on that and streaming to your iPhone/iPad.

idiesel
13th September 2011, 09:54 AM
According to this post on AppleInsider (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/09/12/apples_white_ipod_touch_to_use_different_laminatio n_process_than_iphone.html), looks like other than the addition of a white colour scheme, little else may change with the new iPod Touch from the current 4th gen model. Although, I guess the hardware in the current gen is probably overkill anyway for what it needs to do??

So does this add weight to the likelihood the iPhone 5 will also be a 4GS type upgrade rather than a full blown redesign???