PDA

View Full Version : Do 10.3 upgrade cd's work on 10.1

benny gsr
15th August 2004, 11:01 PM
I am looking at buying OS 10.3 upgrade only disks, but only if they will successfully upgrade 10.1?
Does this work ?

Any help appreciated or extra info appreciated.

Thanks

:huh:

Disko
15th August 2004, 11:15 PM
I think you'll find some instructions here (http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/questions/howto.html).

But that doesn't seem to mention any details on upgrade disks... :/

kim jong il
16th August 2004, 09:49 AM
original Removed due to error. sorry
Correct answer below

10.3.3 update disks will update 10.3.0 and above. They will do nothing for 10.1.x. At ALL.

OziMac
16th August 2004, 10:26 AM
I don't think he's asking about Software Updates.

I think he's asking about either of:

1) the retail version of Panther; or
2) the Panther up-to-date disks only available in September of last year.

In the case of 1), according to the Apple store, you don't need a prior OS installed on your Mac. Probably best to confirm this with the Apple Store itself, but this is quite possible.

However, for 2) you must already have a version of OS X installed. I presume this means any version of OS X, from 10.0 to Jaguar.

So in either case, you should be fine. However, as kim's pointed out, you can't simply use the software update unless you have 10.3 installed.

kim jong il
16th August 2004, 11:33 AM
Its all in how upgrade is defined. OziMac raises some good points. What exactly are the CD's?

A full retail 10.3.0 will give you the OS or a full retail version of 10.3.3; whatever......... If you are purchasing 4 CD's this is probably a full version which will give you 10.3.x. If it is one CD however this will be an update only and will only work to update an earlier 10.3.x install.

Does this make anything any clearer?

cheers, kim

OziMac
16th August 2004, 11:43 AM
Yep, that's a good way to classify them kim:

1) Four CDs (plus XCode) = retail 10.3.x OR up-to-date (depending on which one, may require a version of 10.x preinstalled)

2) One CD = software update (requires 10.3.x preinstalled).

Any further info on the upgrade disks themselves?

benny gsr
16th August 2004, 11:18 PM
Apparently it is 3 discs + x tools disc. So this should work from what you guys are saying. I do have original disc version 10.0.3, and a 10.1 update cd so shouldn't have any probs. BUT the seller only is aware of the update capability from 10.2. I'll let you know if it works out.

Thanks for the help guys
:)

kim jong il
17th August 2004, 05:50 AM
OK Benny, you are cooking with gas. You have the complete set of installer CD's.

It only updates 10.2.x in as much as it will install 10.3.x (give you the option of preserving user directories) and rename the 10.2.x install 'previous system' (if you choose this option). So yes it does update your system, not through patching however but by installing a completely new one. No one can turn 10.2.x into 10.3.x with a single software update (as many users understand update that is).
EDIT: Basically it will update OS 9.x.x. Anything. If your machine will boot in it and also supports OS X, it will install it on it. (I'm pretty sure that apple do not produce machine specific disks now in the same way they did with OS 9)
Make sure you choose to keep a copy of your old system rather than wiping the disk unless you are SURE that you have backups of everything you want to keep. It's easy to click away and then realise that the status/task window has just told you it has successfully initialised your hard disk and it really IS gone.. The instruction are brief, but well worth reading. (actually there are safeguards but still take the few minutes to read the read me's)

cheers, kim

benny gsr
17th August 2004, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the help.

Very much appreciated.

Ill see how I go.

:) :)