PDA

View Full Version : The Print Shop for Mac

gilligan911
17th November 2005, 09:21 AM
Hey, I know this will be irrelevant for most of you power users out there with all of your professional apps ;) - but for those of you with kids who like messing around with this sort of thing I have been told that the new version (2.0) should be shipping in a few weeks. So don't go out and buy the current version.

The current release was written for 10.3 and while there is a 10.4 plugin it still does not make the most out of Tiger and I expect the new release will be a lot better. This is from an email I received yesterday from their tech support:

Canon direct-CD printing will be supported in the next version of The
Print Shop (2.0) which is in the works now...

We are working on the matching iDVD 4 and iDVD 5 themes and they will
be available in the next version of the Print Shop (2.0)...

Regarding The Print Shop 2.0: We're a few weeks away from releasing the
new version.

At the moment Print Shop only supports direct CD printing for Epson printers and the iDVD themes are stuck at 3.0.

Cheers.

MacKiev
20th December 2005, 02:21 PM
All of what Gilligan911 wrote was true. The Print Shop 2.0 from Software MacKiev was released today! (see www.mackiev.com)

Also we hope of interest to Mac-fans in Australia: 1) We have added A4 Label support so you don't have to go fishing for US Label pages anymore (Avery, Stomper, Memorex and NEATO), and 2) we have appointed an Australian distributor, Try N' Byte (www.tryandbyte.com.au) who will get this product and others from Software MacKiev into Australian retail stores.

Happy Holidays!

JACK

Jack Minsky
President
Software MacKiev

Inspired
20th December 2005, 05:30 PM
They're a rip off Jack, you should make it available as a download, then i'll buy it.

hawker
20th December 2005, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Inspired@Dec 20 2005, 05:00 PM
you should make it available as a download
I agree on that point!

MacKiev
20th December 2005, 07:10 PM
Hi All,

The 2CD set for The Print Shop 2.0 is 1.4 GB in total -- would be one heck of a big download. Our current servers couldn't handle that kind of traffic, at least not right now. Maybe sometime in the future.

Just FYI: We've set our pricing with Try & Byte to make sure you get the same prices as in the US. Here's the math: The US retail for Print Shop 2.0 is US$59.95. At the current exchange rate of 1.35 ($A/$US) that translates to exactly A$89.00 (inc GST) ... and Try & Byte's retail price when they get it in stock (early next week) will be A$89.95 (inc GST). Considering it's a long way to ship from the States, that's really a pretty good deal.

Anyway, I completely agree that downloads are better -- and we do offer them for smaller updates (we had seven free downloadable updates on The Print Shop 1.0 that added functionality and kept the product up with the latest version of the OS). But much faster download speeds would need to be available before we could realistically offer multi-GB upgrades as downloads. In the meantime, we've managed, at least, to get you reasonable pricing and local supply. It's a start anyway, right?

Happy holidays!

JACK

the_OM
20th December 2005, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by MacKiev@Dec 20 2005, 07:10 PM
Just FYI: We've set our pricing with Try & Byte to make sure you get the same prices as in the US. Here's the math: The US retail for Print Shop 2.0 is US$59.95. At the current exchange rate of 1.35 ($A/$US) that translates to exactly A$89.00 (inc GST) ... and Try & Byte's retail price when they get it in stock (early next week) will be A$89.95 (inc GST). Considering it's a long way to ship from the States, that's really a pretty good deal.
You sure about that champ?
US$59.95 = A$81

Let me break it down for you:
$A Price = $US Price * $1.35 (Current $A/$US exchange rate)
$A Price = $59.95 * 1.35
$A Price = $80.9235

I rounded it up to a whole number so it looks a bit better ($81)

It's okay though, since we're all mac users here, we're well used to paying more than other countries do by now.

EDIT: I'm guessing tryandbyte said something about my the last sentence above and edited it before I could read it.

It was just a joke referring to the much debated argument surrounding Apple setting $A prices a little higher here than in some other places for macs..... It wasn't meant to be malicious or anything like that toward Mackiev, his/her company or any reseller. Sorry if you took it that way.

tryandbyte
20th December 2005, 08:45 PM
EDIT:

Actually I rather not get into this at all.

Sorry folks.

the_OM
20th December 2005, 10:29 PM
This post came up exactly the same as my previous one, but I wasn't even at my computer when it was poated (10:29pm)......wtf?

MacKiev
21st December 2005, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by the_OM@Dec 20 2005, 08:20 PM
You sure about that champ?
US$59.95 = A$81
Actually, I think you missed, the "(inc GST)" part. 10% GST tax adds the difference to make exactly A$89 as I wrote. I can't speak for the practices of other companies, but we've done our best to arrange for Australians to get the same prices we get in the US. Note that US prices, like our $59.95 price here for The Print Shop 2.0 are always given without taxes included. Each US State here has their own sales tax ranging up to about 8.5%.

Happy holidays!

JACK

the_OM
21st December 2005, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by MacKiev@Dec 21 2005, 08:18 AM
Actually, I think you missed, the "(inc GST)" part. 10% GST tax adds the difference to make exactly A$89 as I wrote. I can't speak for the practices of other companies, but we've done our best to arrange for Australians to get the same prices we get in the US. Note that US prices, like our $59.95 price here for The Print Shop 2.0 are always given without taxes included. Each US State here has their own sales tax ranging up to about 8.5%.

Happy holidays!

JACK
Ahh indeed I did.

See kids, you look like an idiot when you try to be a smartass.

Sorry about that Mackiev.

hawker
21st December 2005, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by the_OM@Dec 21 2005, 07:51 AM
See kids, you look like an idiot when you try to be a smartass.
you do such a great job at it the_OM :)

You should look into a download version though, I mean seriously, almost everyone is on ADSL, so they don't mind large downloads - I am sure your tech boys could get it in a small .dmg file and .zip file. And if you make it say $10 cheaper, you don't need a reseller, you don't need to pay freight, you don't need to pay for packaging... you could in actual sense, make more money ;)